PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Prostaff 6.1 Classic vs. Prince Original Graphite

sstchur
07-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Years ago (probably about 10 now), I really really liked the Wilson Prostaff 6.1 Classic. I never owned one, but I demoed it several times way back when, and I loved it (just never had the money for it when I was younger).

Now that I'm playing again, I'm in the market for a new racquet, and it seems that the PS6.1 Classic is discontinued, so I've been trying racquets that folks have told me are similar: Wilson KBlade Tour, Wilson KSix.One, a couple of Prince O3 somethings or other, Yonex RDS001, among others.

Of everything I have demoed, my two favorites are the Volkl DNX 10 and the Prince Original Graphite.

Here is where things get complicated and I would love to hear others' opinions/suggestions.

I like a longer racquet. When I used to play, I had a 28in racquet (not a PS6.1) and I loved the longer length.

The Prince Original Graphite does appear to come in a Longbody version (28in). Problem is, the POG Longbody is 100sq in (I prefer 95 or less).

I was only able to demo the POG, not the POG Longbody (as I wasn't able to find any place that had the Longbody version available for demo). The POG is only 93 sq in.

If the POG Longbody were 93 sq in, it would be a no brainer for me. I'd buy it. But since it is 100sq in, I'm not 100% sure (and unfortunately, I can't demo it).

Then there's also that Volkl, which was really nice, but does not come in an extended length version.

Finally, it seems that the PS6.1 Classic Stretch (28in) is in fact, still available (there is a guy on **** who has a few in new condition).

Here's where I'm really stuck. I can't demo either the POG Longbody OR the PS6.1 Classic Stretch before buying, because demos for those racquets simply aren't available.

The PS6.1 Classic Stretch is everything I want in a racquet (head size, weight, balance, etc...), but what if (10 years later now) I don't like it as much as I remembered liking it? It seems risky to buy it.

Same with the POG Longbody -- I couldn't demo the Longbody version. What if I don't like the 100sq in?

Obviously the ideal situation would be to demo both and decide, but that doesn't seem possible.

So what would every suggest? I liked the POG (a lot), but I'd really really really love to have that extra inch (I'm not that tall and it helps my serves and overheads quite a bit), but I'm not sure that I want the extra 7sq in. Will it really make that much of a difference, those extra 7sq in?

What about the PS6.1 Classic Stretch? Does anyone still use one who can comment?

Ideally, I'd like to not be relying on a discontinued racquet (might Prince discontinue the POG Longbody at some point, like the PS6.1 is now?).

Any advice would be appreciated, as I'm stuck between these three
racquets and not sure what to do.

Thanks so much.
-Steve

goosala
07-29-2008, 11:38 PM
The way I see it you really have two options: the Wilson K Factor Six One 95 X which is half an inch longer or the POG longbody. If the larger head size is an adjustment then you just need to string it tighter. It will play very similar to the midsize frame. I own three of the POG mids and they are a great frame to use with excellent control.

jayserinos99
07-30-2008, 03:52 AM
I'm a little concerned with the Wilson K6.1 95 X because of the swingweight. 360 seems a tad too high. As for the POG mid versus longbody, the extra 7 sq. inches isn't that big but the length made it seem slightly sluggish for my tastes. However, when I bought one that was 27.5", it swung like a standard length racquet. The big thing about the POG longbody is the seemingly flexy upper hoop that comes through fairly quick; with the 27.5" I had to add lead tape to make the head feel substantial. Also, the POG mid, to me is more scalpel like than the POG longbody. When I used the mid, I loved to serve and volley and also slice and dice, especially when I added lead to the 3/9/handle and strung low with a multifilament.

Lastly, if you plan on getting the POG longbody, I believe it's a TW exclusive so you can't get it anywhere else and I'm not too sure they'd bring it back if the stock runs out (please someone correct me if I'm wrong). However the Diablo MP grommets will fit the POG longbody.