PDA

View Full Version : 4 racquet playtest

IT WAS IN!!! #2
07-30-2008, 12:00 AM
Well, let me start by saying it is good to be back on the boards. I lost my account information on my original forum name. But, it is good to be back after a long break.
I am a sophomore who plays for his high school team and when i get the rare chance state level tournaments. I have an all-court game with a powerful serve-forehand combination, and a nice kick second serve.
I recently decided that i need to change to a slightly more forgiving, larger framed, lighter racquet.
I am playtesting the Prince Ozone Pro Tour, Yonex RDS 002 Tour, Yonex RQis Tour 1, and the Head Microgel Radical Pro.
Before playing, I thought that the power from the Head would be overwhelming, the RQis would be too weak, the Prince's head too big, and the 002 Tour just right. well of course non of this was the case (other than the RQis)
Serve: the power and "plow-through" feel of the Head won over my heart when hitting first serves. In that case it was the best first serve racquet I have ever used. But on second serve I hit way too many deep. I moved into the 002 Tour and everything was just off. I couldn't consistently place the ball on the T or put it in the corner. It was the biggest disappointment in that category. Then I tried the RQis. Let me say that I don't think that the tennis-warehouse review gave it justice. This racquet without a doubt won this category. Except for lacking in power, I could place the ball anywhere I wanted to, and hit a high-bouncing, effective kick serve. Finally, I used the Prince. The lack of words don't mean I didn't dislike this racquet in this category but there was nothing terribly spectacular I'd say it came in 3rd on first serve and 2nd on second serve.
More to report tomorrow when my hitting partner (ball-machine) isn't broken. knock on wood:?

IT WAS IN!!! #2
07-30-2008, 12:02 AM
sorry I was using a POG mid with a hybrid of Ace 18/X1 Biphase 17 at 59/57

mawashi
07-30-2008, 08:05 AM
IT WAS IN!!! #2,

I would really love to have the chance to demo rackets like you but it's just not available here in Singapore.

Give the RDS 002 Tour a chance it may take a while but I've heard nothing but good things about it. Just choose the RDS 002 Tour UL instead of the SL.

YONEX rds 002 tour, THE RACQUET? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=152304&highlight=rds+002)

Other rackets you can consider are:

Wilson KBlade 98
Yonex RDS 001 Midplus
Head MicroGEL Radical Pro

If all else fails there's always Vantage but it is $$$

Regards,

Mawashi
________
LAMBORGHINI V8 (http://www.lamborghini-tech.com/wiki/Lamborghini_V8)

IT WAS IN!!! #2
07-30-2008, 09:51 AM
well i have tried all of the racquets you mentioned and the radical pro is on my list if you read the review;)
I am going to narrow this list down to 2 racquets then next week i am going to get a RDS 001 mp to demo because i really enjoyed it.

Bengt
07-30-2008, 09:52 AM
Baylor or McCallie?

IT WAS IN!!! #2
07-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Baylor or McCallie?

the blue tornado

Bengt
07-30-2008, 12:59 PM
the blue tornado In that case, I recommend the Wilson T2000.

J/K.

Make sure it is BOTH the weight and the headsize of your POG mid that is bothering you and not one or the other. You may need a lighter mid or a bigger 12+ oz racquet.

LafayetteHitter
07-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Nice to see someone from Louisiana back on the boards. What ntrp are you? Maybe we could meet in Alexandria to play sometime. I would like to get some of the Louisiana people together from these boards at some point for doubles.

IT WAS IN!!! #2
07-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Make sure it is BOTH the weight and the headsize of your POG mid that is bothering you and not one or the other. You may need a lighter mid or a bigger 12+ oz racquet.

it definitely is both

LafayetteHitter
07-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Even though the weight may not be as light as you are looking to go, I would try the Pure Storm Tour based one some of what are looking at. You just might be surprised.

IT WAS IN!!! #2
07-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Nice to see someone from Louisiana back on the boards. What ntrp are you? Maybe we could meet in Alexandria to play sometime. I would like to get some of the Louisiana people together from these boards at some point for doubles.
well i am an all-courter, prefer clay, i have a semi-western forehand, with heavy topspin on bothsides, strong serve. im 15 and im 6'2."
I would say im in the 4.0-4.5 range

IT WAS IN!!! #2
07-30-2008, 02:31 PM
well i do not have time to right a review right now but i ranked them as they compared to each other
groundstrokes: 1st: prince 2nd: rqis 3rd: RDS 002 4th: Head
returns: 1st: rqis 2nd: prince 3rd:RDS 002 4th: Head
topspin: 1st: rqis 2nd: prince 3rd: RDS 002 4th: Head
slice: 1st: rqis 2nd: prince 3rd: RDS 002 4th: Head
volley: 1st: prince 2nd: Head 3rd: rqis 4th: RDS 002
touch: 1st: prince 2nd: rqis 3rd: Head 4th: RDS 002

adso1973
07-30-2008, 02:43 PM
and coming from a POG mid, playing on clay.. from those 4 which one did you enjoy more while playing?

IT WAS IN!!! #2
07-31-2008, 09:30 AM
and coming from a POG mid, playing on clay.. from those 4 which one did you enjoy more while playing?

The Yonex RQis 1 Tour is lower powered and the most spin-friendly racquet I have ever used
The Prince Ozone Pro Tour has more power and is great for groundstrokes and volleys. and almost has a pog sort of feel