PDA

View Full Version : How important is overall racket weight?

morten
07-30-2008, 02:20 AM
I mean when demoing or buying a new frame, do you usually lead it up to your "favourite weight"? How important is it for all of you? Just curious.. Lately i have gone just a bit too light, and it has been bad for my TE and plow through. Anyone? I usually like about 355grams, i leaded uf the AG100 to 346, but lacked plow through... hm, will try more lead but concerned about swingweight(i like low). Interrested in how it is for others...?

matchmaker
07-30-2008, 06:55 AM
I mean when demoing or buying a new frame, do you usually lead it up to your "favourite weight"? How important is it for all of you? Just curious.. Lately i have gone just a bit too light, and it has been bad for my TE and plow through. Anyone? I usually like about 355grams, i leaded uf the AG100 to 346, but lacked plow through... hm, will try more lead but concerned about swingweight(i like low). Interrested in how it is for others...?

IMO swingweight is about as important as static weight. I play heavy frames, between 350gr and 375gr. And some of the statically heaviest are actually the easiest to swing. I also prefer racquets to come with a stock weight of at least 340 gr.

If you brought the AG 100 to 346gr, that implies you have already added about 15 gr. of lead. Adding lead tape will always increase the swingweight but as the AG 100 has a very low one (312) I don't think it can do any harm.

You talk about plow through and my experience in that is that you need a higher SW to create plow through. So it seems that in your premises there is a sort of dilemma. You want more plow through but low swingweight. That seems to be incompatible.

In my experience if a racquet is low on swingweight you can easily add quite a bit of lead without turning it into a log. I had a VE mid I added 10 gr to in the hoop and still felt it was one of the most manoeverable racquets I have ever played with.

So if I were you, I would try adding some more to the AG but maybe not only in the hoop but also some on the handle to compensate.

Zielmann
07-30-2008, 11:26 AM
If you want to add mass with the smallest change in SW, then add the tape at/in the handle. This will change the balance point considerably, though. If you want to keep the bp about where it is, add a little tape in the upper hoop to counteract that.

Use TW's customization calculator to see where to add weight for the results you want.

hoodjem
07-30-2008, 11:37 AM
I mean when demoing or buying a new frame, do you usually lead it up to your "favourite weight"? How important is it for all of you? Just curious.. Lately i have gone just a bit too light, and it has been bad for my TE and plow through. Anyone? I usually like about 355grams, i leaded uf the AG100 to 346, but it lacked plow through.
Where did you add the lead?

nytennisaddict
07-30-2008, 11:48 AM
When you guys refert to weight in grams... do you measure it strung or unstrung? eg. my Head Ti Radical is 307 grams unstrung, but 324 grams strung.

baek57
07-30-2008, 01:55 PM
swingweight is a better judge of how a racquet will play than static weight.

morten
07-31-2008, 01:59 AM
Where did you add the lead?

2 and 10, leather grip, and yesterday some in the buttcap, worked pretty good, but still need some tweaking. Weight now is about 354 grams..

bertrevert
07-31-2008, 02:37 AM
Racq static weight is v imptnt - I've either almost served my shoulder out of socket with something too light, or been late on everything with something too HH, or been late and then also couldn't get stick on the ball (too heavy, too HL); or worse, hyper-extended elbow with too heavy and too HH.

But rule of thumb for me (arrived at over time and many racqs) is don't go over 340grams.

BUt I thnk balnce can affect you game more.

I find that 12 pts HL is far too muich for me and is uaully found on a heavier stick.

Even balance is ok but the stick is usually too light.

Around 6 pts HL and about 325 grams.

Don't think head size is all it's cracked up to be.

So overall weight only becomes imptnt if you are playing long matches or are too late on every shot.

larry10s
07-31-2008, 04:37 AM
overall weight is one of many important factors. no question the collision of the ball and racquet is influenced by the weight of the racquet. the balance point and swingweight are important in your ability to generate racquethead speed another important part of what happens on collision with the ball. thru trial and error i have found for me 12plus oz 8-11 points headlight swingweight 325 works for me. i will tweak a demo racquet to get close to that weght and balance before the hit. i know much lighter in weight and i cant get the plowthrough

Keifers
07-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Racq static weight is v imptnt - I've either almost served my shoulder out of socket with something too light, or been late on everything with something too HH, or been late and then also couldn't get stick on the ball (too heavy, too HL); or worse, hyper-extended elbow with too heavy and too HH.

But rule of thumb for me (arrived at over time and many racqs) is don't go over 340grams.

BUt I thnk balnce can affect you game more.

I find that 12 pts HL is far too muich for me and is uaully found on a heavier stick.

Even balance is ok but the stick is usually too light.

Around 6 pts HL and about 325 grams.

overall weight is one of many important factors. no question the collision of the ball and racquet is influenced by the weight of the racquet. the balance point and swingweight are important in your ability to generate racquethead speed another important part of what happens on collision with the ball. thru trial and error i have found for me 12plus oz 8-11 points headlight swingweight 325 works for me. i will tweak a demo racquet to get close to that weght and balance before the hit. i know much lighter in weight and i cant get the plowthrough
Well said.

Overall weight, balance and swingweight are all important, imo, and to pick a racquet based on only one of these parameters is an oversimplification.

I look at overall weight first because it tells me the amount of work I have to do vs. the amount of work the racquet will do for me. The heavier the frame is, the less effort I have to expend once I get the racquet in motion. With a lighter frame, I have to apply force right up to point of impact.

Similarly, when blocking shots (e.g., a block return of serve), the weight of a heavier stick means I have to stiffen my wrist and arm less at impact than I would with a lighter stick (which would get pushed back at impact if I didn't stiffen my wrist and arm more).

Then I look at balance. Then I look at swingweight.

My strokes are grooved for racquets weighing 350-360 grams, balanced 8-10 pts HL and sw 315-325. I demoed the AG100 recently and decided to playtest it with just an overgrip and dampener added -- 338 grams, 8 pts HL. After adjusting my strokes and timing, I found a lot to like about the 100. But I'm almost certain that if I go ahead and buy one (very tempted!), I'll weight it up and adjust balance and sw to make it closer to my other racquets because that's what my strokes are grooved for, and switching between racquets will be easier.

Kevo
07-31-2008, 11:25 AM
I think overall weight is important for handling pace, and swingweight is important for managing your own stroke.

Any tennis racquet is heavy enough to hit a reasonable rally shot if the person hitting back to you isn't hitting hard. I demonstrate this to my students by hitting easy controlled shots holding the racquet with two fingers.

I had a student just last week who at age 10 was hammering everything out of the court. I picked up his junior frame and demonstrated what I meant by easy swing with two fingers. I hit about a 45mph topspin forehand as pretty as a picture with only two fingers on the handle. I was quite relieved that my demonstration didn't go south though. When I first picked up his racquet it felt like it weighed about 5oz. I hate it when a demo goes bad. :-)

Now if I hit a 90mph forehand to practically anyone holding that 5oz. junior frame, I doubt the ball comes back over the net except as a duck.

Now if I hand you a 12oz. frame with a 300 sw that would certainly be adequate for hitting back a hard hit shot even though not ideal. If you were regularly going up against 90mph forehands you would most likely want more weight or more sw or both, but a 9oz. frame with 300 sw would likely not be adequate for a 90mph forehand.