PDA

View Full Version : Gamma T-7. Any One Try it Yet?

ccelis
07-30-2008, 07:18 AM
How was it, is it really light and powerfull? How does it compare to the Gamma G325?

Thanks

ccelis
08-16-2008, 01:51 PM
How was it, is it really light and powerfull? How does it compare to the Gamma G325?

Thanks

Bump..........

ramseszerg
08-16-2008, 02:56 PM
I second this question. Would also appreciate comments on arm-friendliness.

sstchur
08-22-2008, 12:01 PM
I had a chance to try out this racket and I really like it a lot. So much so that I'm making the switch.

I'm a former high school player who is getting back into the game after about 10 years. I'm 29 years old and my arm is not what it used to be, so when I started playing again (2 to 4 times per week), I experienced some pretty severe elbow/shoulder pain.

Back in the day, I used a Wilson Prostaff 6.1 Classic. This time around, I tried out the KSix-One Tour 90, as it seemed similar. I really liked it and rushed into the purchase -- big mistake. While it is super solid and lets you just hit the crap out of the ball, the weight and stiffness weren't making my arm happy.

I decided to try something with a larger head size and which was lighter, and the Gamma T-7 fit the bill (at least enough to give it a demo).

I really loved the feeling of the racket from the baseline. Groundstrokes felt really nice -- like the ball was being pocketed by the string bed. It definitely gave me more power and a larger sweet spot than the K90 (which, I discovered 10 years later, I now need).

I was able to generate significant spin with the open string pattern -- I could both feel the spin and see it (I noticed plenty of string movement between points). The racket is headlight and has a flexible frame, so it doesn't have a /ton/ of power, but it has enough. I felt that it offered me a really good compromise of power (was able to get good depth on groundstrokes) and topspin (could clear the net by 2 to 3 feet and still keep the ball in).

Volleys felt crisp for the most part (though I admit that net is not that best part of my game). Still, I was pleased with how I performed with this racket when playing net.

Serves were also pretty good. For my second serve especially, I was able to generate a good amount of kick.

Overall I really like this racket. As for arm friendliness, my arm felt okay after playing with it. However that may be due to my having seen a physical therapist two weeks ago who gave me some stretching/icing routines to do, and the fact that I now wear a brace on my arm.

So I can't necessarily attribute all of my decrease in arm pain to the racket, but I certainly don't feel like it aggravated my arm at all.

All in all, a great racket. Highly recommended.

roundiesee
08-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks sstchur, great review; I wondered if you have tried the Gamma G325, and how this racket compares with the T7? Thanks!

alb1
08-22-2008, 07:31 PM
I've hit with the T-7 for a couple of days now. As a 47 year old 4.5 player I'm always looking for lighter players frame and have tried several. The T-7 is solid for an 11.4 oz frame, it plays like a heavier frame to me. The sw specs are close to the Volkl DNX 9 and the Gamma Ipex 7.0 MP but the T-7 I have seems more head heavy than either of those. It's not as flexy in the head as the Ipex 7.0 or a Prince Diablo MP. Groundstrokes, volleys, serves, everything was better with the T-7 than any of the other frames I've tried in this weight/sw range with the exception of the serve which the stiffer DNX 9 gets the edge there. I had a G325 for a short time and was not impressed with it, solid but underpowered. The T-7 is definitely a keeper. As far as arm friendliness, my usual racket is the PK Ki5 and the T-7 is causing no elbow discomfort strung at 55 lbs with a soft synthetic.

sstchur
08-23-2008, 09:50 AM
roundiesee:

Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to try out the G325 and compare it with the T-7. I'm hesitant to buy one (not knowing if I'll like it) and I don't know of any place where I can demo one.

Hopefully someone will come along that has tried both and can give a thorough comparison.

I see that alb1 mentioned he had a G325 for a short time and was not impressed. Anyone have more specific info on how it compares to the T-7? (Not that it matters to me too much anymore -- I'm pretty much sold on the T-7, but it would still be interesting to see a comparison.)

meowmix
08-23-2008, 11:22 AM
This is kind of off topic... but I was just visiting the auction site... and saw the T7 for 85 bucks?!!! Last I checked, this was the latest edition from gamma... Shows you just how underpriced Gamma is these days.

ccelis
08-25-2008, 07:44 AM
I've hit with the T-7 for a couple of days now. As a 47 year old 4.5 player I'm always looking for lighter players frame and have tried several. The T-7 is solid for an 11.4 oz frame, it plays like a heavier frame to me. The sw specs are close to the Volkl DNX 9 and the Gamma Ipex 7.0 MP but the T-7 I have seems more head heavy than either of those. It's not as flexy in the head as the Ipex 7.0 or a Prince Diablo MP. Groundstrokes, volleys, serves, everything was better with the T-7 than any of the other frames I've tried in this weight/sw range with the exception of the serve which the stiffer DNX 9 gets the edge there. I had a G325 for a short time and was not impressed with it, solid but underpowered. The T-7 is definitely a keeper. As far as arm friendliness, my usual racket is the PK Ki5 and the T-7 is causing no elbow discomfort strung at 55 lbs with a soft synthetic.

So then this has pretty good stability considering its weight?

alb1
08-25-2008, 07:20 PM
The T-7 is extremly stable. As I've gotten older I have moved down from the 12+ oz frames. I've been stuck at 11.8 for a while and have tried several 11-11.5 frames trying to find a lighter frame that has the right combination of power, feel, and control for me. In the past I've gone back to the 11.8 because nothing has met all the criteria. I had to add lead to several of the 11-11.5 frames to make them stable. The T-7 doesn't need lead for my level of play.

sstchur
08-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Agreed. The T-7 felt very stable to me. I'm surprised it isn't more popular, but I suppose that's because it isn't Wilson or Prince or Babalot or something else that a "pro uses."