PDA

View Full Version : Grip Shape guide?

Top Jimmy
07-30-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm fairly particular about my grip shape. For example, I love Head rackets feel, but i can't find my grip due to their rectangular shape. Wilson fits my hand about perfect.

Do manufacturers grip shape change between models or are all Wilson rackets the same?

Might it be helpful for other shoppers like me to have a description of manufacture grip shape or model grip shape int eh racket description?

Return_Ace
07-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Grip shapes pretty much stay the same between model lines... although some have noted that Head's shape haschanged ever so slightly i believe... not that i can actually feel the difference.

If you like the feel of Head rackets but not the grip shape there are certain customisation companies out there which can change the grip pallets for a fee.

hoodjem
07-30-2008, 11:41 AM
I have found that Wilson pallets seem to be very consistent over time.

monomakh
07-30-2008, 12:10 PM
If you create a custom racquet on the Vantage website, one of the components is grip shape where they have four silhouettes for the various manufacturers. That should give you an idea.

anirut
07-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Top Jimmy,

I'm like you in being very particular with the grip shape.

If you're a venturous handyman (or at least dare to be), take a read at this guide: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=203400

Make sure you understand it well before you proceed and that you know how to remove the grip pallets without breaking them.

Best of luck.

tennis_hand
07-30-2008, 09:13 PM
most companies have the same grip shapes, except Head.

geesechops
07-30-2008, 09:40 PM
Well coming from a grip nut...

Dunlop: are very round (side bevels are like top and bottom)

Wilson: are flatter (more rectangle)

Head: are the most rectangle but the newer MG models are not as much as the older models. I have an LM Prestige that is extremely flat.

Although, my Pro Staff 6.0 85 pallets are flatter than my K90's and those are flatter than my NSix-One 95...so I guess its up to which racquet it is??? And most people couldn't tell the difference, but I only use two over grips and no under grip, so I'm pretty much right on the pallet.

I see most people out there with thick synthetic and an overgrip and when they pick up my sticks they have this puzzled look on their face like they didn't know there were bevels on a grip.