PDA

View Full Version : Returning player, 48, looking for racquet

Finsfan
07-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Wow, have racquets changed since I played regularly. I had a Yonex, green one, they were new to the scene in 1978, and I have, and still have, a Jack Kramer Wilson Wood racquet. The Yonex is gone. Anyway, daughter took a tennis class and has a Head TI S1 racquet. I played her and that wood racquet is heavy. I just listed it on ****.

Anyway, I am looking for a new lighter racquet. I dont know if I will play just once or twice a week for a bit, or really be a regular player. I am inconsistent on my first serve, but it is a flat serve and I can get a good speed on it. If I hit it and it lands in the service area, I get an ace most times. I dont know what I would rank, but I can easily beat the beginner.

So, any racquets you would recommend? I have no problems in using her racquet (gotten at Dicks) since it is lighter and easier to get around to control with than the Kramer. Someone may have a lightly used one around here they could suggest. I know that TW has the demo thing, but $12.00 each way, that would be $24 I can put to a new racquet until I play more and really decide what I need or want.

Heck, Id delist the Kramer and trade someone.

basil J
07-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Look at the liquidation list. good frames at low cost: Prince scream, dunlop mfil 300, 200 16 x 19, head LM radical. go thorugh the list and you can examine each one in detail.

LafayetteHitter
07-30-2008, 10:27 AM
There are quite a few nice frames on the liquidation page.

Dunlop M-fil 300
Prince TT Warrior
Head Liquidmetal Radical MP

Would be the top 3 in my opinion.

hoodjem
07-30-2008, 10:32 AM
TW demoing is a great deal IMO: I tried four racquets for one week for $20.00 total, period.

The only way to know a racquet is to try it out for oneself.

We can recommend a bunch of racquets, but you have to supply more info as to hitting style, game, your height and weight, speed, etc.

Or you could read around a bunch on here.

Which Kramer woodie did you have? Do you want something similar? Do you want a grandpa racquet or a pirate racquet or an aggresive young athlete's raquet?

max
07-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Hmmm. Tough to say. On one hand, your search could be a "let's perfectly tailor this one exactly to the returning player's ability".

Or it could be a "let's find one that works well, until he's back in the game and back to playing reasonably well. . . then find THE racquet, the Holy Grail of them all."

I guess I'd opt for getting that Prince Warrior. It's a bit lighter than you're used to but has most of the playing characteristics you're likely used to finding in a racquet, at a good low price, and able to hold you well, until you better know what exactly fits your 2008 game.

Finsfan
07-30-2008, 10:40 AM
TW demoing is a great deal IMO: I tried four racquets for one week for $20.00 total, period.

The only way to know a racquet is to try it out for oneself.

We can recommend a bunch of racquets, but you have to supply more info as to hitting style, game, your height and weight, speed, etc.

Or you could read around a bunch on here.

Which Kramer woodie did you have? Do you want something similar? Do you want a grandpa racquet or a pirate racquet or an aggresive young athlete's raquet?

Here is a link to the Kramer I have: http://cgi.*********/ws/****ISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230276656513&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DSelling

I am 5 feet 9.5 inches, 195 lbs. I dont use topspin, but there are shots that I hit back that are like a beginner, but if I get to the ball in time and take a full swing, I can get good pace on it. My second serve is a cream puff as I worry about double faulting and so I serve it to the back of the service box. First serve, I can and do swing hard and hit maybe 30%? Yeah, I see some liquidation racquets start at $53 or so (Head) but most are around the $70 level. Maybe I can get a used one in the sales forum, and maybe that is better than what I pick up at Dicks or even Wally World. Hope this info helps

Finsfan
07-30-2008, 10:43 AM
OOps, link would not work:

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x184/memphislawyer/P4280213-1.jpg

Finsfan
07-31-2008, 12:00 PM
Max: I like the logic of what you proposed. Tried to give a semblance of my game to the other poster who asked what Kramer I had.

I saw an ad for a used Head Liquidmetal 8 5/8 9/10, for $39 shipped. Here is the link: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=209571

That price is about $30 lower than what appears to be comprable, and then shipping. I read where it has more control for an advanced beginner, and great for guys who have short to medium followthroughs? I dont blast the ball, so it sounds like it may be a bit more than the Prince or Dunlop 300, but the price, I might be able to grow into using its ability to slice and spin the ball.

A Dunlop 200 is $50 shipped, 9.5/10
1x headliquidmetal 8 4 3/8 grip 40.00 shipped

Head TI S2 4 1/4 grip linked here http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=209538

I am thinking that a used racquet is like getting a car with 10,000 miles on it and is a year old. Let someone take the depreciation hit and I can get a better car for the money than spending the same amount on something new - Id probably have to get less car! If it is in great shape, and I am hitting with my daughter two nights a week or so, probably good enough. If I get into a league, then sure, Id probably want to get a better racquet but by then, Id be at a tennis club, or know someone there, and could swing different racquets in person.

I guess, using the Kramer shows me how outdated it may be, and someone may want it as a collector's item rather than using it. I can take a smaller amount of money and get into the swing of things (No pun, lol) and get something better than the comprable amount of money at Target or Wallyworld.

Any of these work?

meowmix
07-31-2008, 04:36 PM
Ah, the Kramer Autograph. It's interesting, because I've been hitting with one all summer long!

I really like the frame, but it is definately not for me. Too low powered, too little spin, and too demanding. Love the feel of that thing though...

As for getting a used racket, I definately recommend it. Since a fairly good used racket can come for under 60 bucks (well, you can PRACTICALLY get any used racket for that much, but you will find them for cheaper), it's a good deal.

I'd recommend staying away from the LM8. Way too powerful, and WAY too stiff. Sure, it's an easy racket to play with, but man, that thing will MURDER your arm.

The Dunlop 200 series are good racket. Nice solid, and for the most part, no nonsense rackets that give a lot of bang for the buck. Not quite woodie rackets in term of lack of power of in feel, but they're nice.

I'd recommend you get yourself something from the Prokennex Ace series. I know that somebody on this board is selling a new Copper Ace (13 ounceish, 90 ish head size, 56 ish flex) for 45 bucks. Prokennex Aces are known for their feel, and are more similar than most rackets to your woodie. Since there were a TON of them, pick a random one that's under 13 ounces. Best of all, they sell for around 20 bucks on the bay. There's actually a thread on the PK Ace series on here. There are quite a few sticks that can be picked up for cheap in that thread. I'd advise you to look there.

meowmix
07-31-2008, 04:39 PM
Oh, and for reference, I mainly use a pair of Gamma Ipex 7.0 MPs. Bought the first for 70, and the second used for 25. Flexy as heck, a little low powered, but nice sticks. People on here have complained that this racket feels like a noodle and flexes everywhere. Compared to the JK Autograph, this thing is STIFF and packs a HUGE amount of power. Just tells you where tennis rackets have gone these days: >stiffness. >power.

supertrex
07-31-2008, 05:01 PM
Why not try the used Ntour 90 with Lead tape. You just gotta have a proper swing to manage the weight. Since lighter racquets Vs hard hitters are really bad for the elbow.

meowmix
07-31-2008, 05:20 PM
^ those get expensive, about 70 used. It'd be more worth your effort to get a new racket at that price.

Finsfan
07-31-2008, 06:42 PM
Thanks guys. I had assumed that anything over the JK AUto would be better. I mean, swinging my daughter's racquet, I was killing serves easier and they were faster than with the woodie. Same with groundstrokes and not as many going into the net. To be honest, I had not even considered the weight, I was looking at the size, thinking oversize had to be what I needed.

I saw a Head TI S2 that I can get for $45.00, condition 8.5/10, and a Dunlop 300 or a Prince Triple Threat Scream, each 7.0./10 for $40. I will read tomorrow about the proken aces. FIrst time to hear about that. Oh, those prices were shipped. Tennis Warehouse has used racquets and demos for sale that I just now noticed.

As you can see, I did not rush into getting something, as I could easily go grab a $20 or $30 stick at Walmart and plenty of $49.99 Heads and Wilsons at Dicks. But I would think that I would be doing just that, grabbing it more for looks and price than really any analytical thought as to what I would need. Yet I am not playing enough that I would appreciate too much how different racquets are, and when I get there, a second racquet would be where i would go, and wife could use this soon-to-be-acquired one to play around with me. If I have to tape something, probably not a good first re-entry stick I am thinking.

So, sure, I am reading the sales threads for sticks around $40 shipped, and that Head racquet seems to be in great condition for the price and a better buy at $45 then something new at Dicks for $50 and tax (though they have a $10 off in-store-coupon, lol). ANyone can email me at sblaiss@gmail.com for suggestions. I guess I have a medium stroke (not a wild follow through, but I do follow through, onehanded backhands also) and medium speed on swing. I dont know whether I need more control or power, but I am guessing it does no good to swing hard if the ball sails over the baseline. Back when I bought the Kramer, Yonex was coming out and the Kramer was about the most common racquet I guess. Oh, since i have no bids on ****, if anyone wanted to take the Kramer as part of a trade, who knows?

Finsfan
07-31-2008, 06:49 PM
Oh, when I bought the Kramer, Prince I think just started coming out with an oversize racquet. Do I need oversize or midsize and what is the advantage and disadvantage of each>

Finsfan
07-31-2008, 06:54 PM
Oops, no edit function. Meow, saw your comment about a flex number, 56ish. What does that do for me, and what range or number should I look for?

goldenyama
07-31-2008, 10:14 PM
Head i.Tour is a great stick, cheap secondhand and should fit what you're looking for.

goldenyama
07-31-2008, 10:17 PM
Just be careful you dont go tooo light or get stiff strings as you might bugger your elbow or wrist after the long layoff

meowmix
08-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Flex is an indication of how stiff a racket is. The stiffer a racket, the more power. However, this power comes at the cost of additional risk of tennis elbow.

Anything over 65 is generally considered stiff. Since you're coming from a woodie, I don't think you'd appreciate a very stiff racket (especially as it'll probably kill your arm). Especially since, you're a more senior player.

Finsfan
08-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Yeah, I am surely reading up. S eeing flexes at 63 or so. Not finding too many Prokennex Ace coppers so here is the list I am using

Prince Scream
Dunlap Mfil 300
Dunlap 200 mfil 16X19
Head Liquidmetal Radical
Prince Triple Threat Warrior

Saw one guy has a Head Ti S2 for $45.00, good 8.5
and someone mentioned a Head Itour

I just measured using the ruler thing. My Kramer says 4 3/4 and have used that, but i get anywhere from 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 on the grip, depending on what point in that lower crease.

So, anyone want to point out a great deal to me on the sales, or offer one, email me.

Finsfan
08-01-2008, 01:06 PM
I didnt get to hit with, but I did get to swing around, the following

Dunlop 300 ( a bit on the heavier side)

The successor to the Prince Warrior. A demo model, 4 3/8, felt good, he would let me have it for $70.00. Yellowish racquet. Said this one compared almost exactly to the Head I will describe next. He thinks this one is being discontinued, so he was putting this line on sale.

Head something, around $109, said Microgel on it, blue body, white handle. Felt the best. I had told him I was told to look for the Head scream and this is what he handed me. He said the Scream was discontinued.

A wilson that was used, $29.00, regripped with yellow head gripping, said 6.1 or 6.2 on the side and he said that when new, it was a $200 racquet. Felt heavier like the Dunlop. Only considering this as it is a bargain. 4 3/8, red frame, an s1 whatever that is.

So, any ideas what he was talking about, and which of these would you suggest? I have my eye on the Sales forum on a Head TI S2 for $45 shipped, but that is just the looks of it, I dont know how it compares to any of these. I have no problems buying the Head or Prince off of the sales forum, if I knew which ones and what you might think. He said from how I swung and described my game, I am probably looking at 3.5 rating, but he said that was just what I told him.

COmments, suggestions?

Finsfan
08-01-2008, 01:27 PM
It was the Head Microgel Raptor

Finsfan
08-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Guys, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I went to a local place, Strings and Things, and they had a court with a ball machine. I used like 8 to 10 different racquets. The guy told me that most people come in and get the Prince TT Scream, a $70 racquet that they dont even demo because they fly off the shelves. This was based on what I told him.

He handed me a Prince OS Scream, and other demos. One was a Babolet (I loved this, but at $189, probably not the best thing for me right now). I also used a Prince Liquidmetal, a Wilson, a couple of Heads, and a Dunlop.

In the end, it was down to the Prince Shark, the Prince OS Scream, a Head Flexpoint OS 1, Swing 1, and another one. They all felt good, but the Prince OS Scream probably felt the best, but it was $100, but he would let me have it for $80.00. It was new. The Shark was regripped, and would have run $50.00. I ended up with the Flexpoint, as I was hitting with about the same power and a bit better control. It was $100 new, and this one looked like it had just a few scruff marks on the top, but the rest looked primo. He let me have it for $50.00 since it was the last one. It has a white grip and you can see the black dirt that hands leave behind, but it is in great shape.

How do you clean it?

So, I will go look at the specs and compare them to the Head TI S2, the Dunlop 300G, and the Head Liquidmetal MP Radical, and the Scream. The middle two were from a guy here, and the last two were new ones from TW.

Finsfan
08-02-2008, 10:35 AM
I cant find the model here, but it is a blue paint job, and it has no number, just Flexpoint. I saw a flexpoint 10 here for $100, but the wording that it is a minimum advertised price leads me to believe that TW might sell it cheaper.

The Hybrid
08-02-2008, 10:35 AM
You should of tried a Slazenger thats what I just bought and it works great...

LafayetteHitter
08-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Sounds like the Head Flexpoint 4

Finsfan
08-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks Lafeyette. Now I can google it and read up and see how it compares to those others. I will do that just so I can get an idea of what I WAS looking at compares to what I BOUGHT. Im most interested in the stiffness, and power and swingweight. I think this Flexpoint is gonna be probably less power and more flex. I wish I had a tennis guy with me so he could point out things, but at least hitting with one was better than buying blind. As I get better, they let you demo racquets so I will do that.

LafayetteHitter
08-02-2008, 12:42 PM
http://web.archive.org/web/20070125060512/www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCHEAD-HFP4.html

Finsfan
08-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Well specs dont really line up. And the Paint is a darker blue.

27 inch length
110 inch head
weight unstrung is 250 g
says use head fxp strings in 16X19 pattern
there is no head insignia on the strings

Finsfan
08-02-2008, 12:54 PM
It is the Flexpoint 1 Oversize. Can be had new for $70.00. Oh well, how would I have known until I could have actually hit with something? It's in great shape though, still need to clean the grip but otherwise, Im going hitting with it tonight. A bit stiffer racquet is what it says, and from what I read, here is what a review says

Head Flexpoint 1 Oversize
The Head Flexpoint 1 offers some of the controlled feel of a players racquet, but with a more forgiving sweetspot and significantly lighter weight. More controlled than the Flexpoint 4, the Flexpoint 1 is geared toward an aspiring junior or adult who is looking for some muscle behind their strokes. The racquet is well balanced (1 point Head Heavy) and the big headsize (110 sq. inch) made for a nice big sweetspot. The open string pattern further enhances spin and size of the sweetspot. NoShox handle reduces vibrations by 27% without dampening feel.

Ideally suited for players with moderate to full strokes. Recommended for the 3.0-4.5 NTRP level players.

Liquidmetal Technology: Liquidmetal material is applied to four strategic areas of the racquetís head and it is the only material that utilizes all the energy your swing generates. No energy is lost on ball impact due to its liquid atomic structure. Total Sweetspot Construction: Total Sweetspot Construction extends the sweetspot throughout the entire racquet head resulting in ultimate control. Now every shot feels like youíve hit the sweetspot.

Hole+Dimple=Flexpoint: These two precisely engineered holes, positioned at 3 and 9 o'clock on the racquet head, work together to bring power in control. The dimple is engineered to create flexibility by reducing beam height by a maximum of 25%. The hole reduces sectional stiffness up to 50%. The hole and dimple allow a player to harness maximum power and control it.

I guess I am 3.0 or so, and that is good. More control, okay.