PDA

View Full Version : How Many?

Trevor
07-30-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm 13 years old a strong 4.0/weak 4.5 and play 5/6 days a week. I'm really looking to get better at tennis and am playing tournaments about once or twice a month. So how many racquets do i need? Jolly's guide didn't really help.

StealthGnome
07-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Two? Three? More than one. It doesn't matter. Just play and keep winning.

Il Mostro
07-30-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm 13 years old a strong 4.0/weak 4.5 and play 5/6 days a week. I'm really looking to get better at tennis and am playing tournaments about once or twice a month. So how many racquets do i need? Jolly's guide didn't really help.

Are you a junior ADD? How could you not get direction from JR's guide? Maybe you should take up bocci ball -- the requisite gear will not tax your mind so much.

Bud
07-30-2008, 05:45 PM

Two should be plenty, 3 max.

Infl8edEg0
07-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Two should be plenty, 3 max.

ditto. unless you're a chronic stringbreaker like I used to be.

2nd_Serve
07-30-2008, 09:45 PM
I actually think 3 is the minimum if your a hard working junior player. You could have more if you want, or are a string breaker during matches in tournaments.

baek57
07-31-2008, 12:24 AM
depends how often you break strings and how fast you can get them strung. 2 minimum so you have a backup. after that depends on you.

HyperHorse
07-31-2008, 12:51 AM
3 or 4. I think it's nice in case u want to experiment with different strings/weight setup..
Or if you have sweaty hands and u feel like a new regrip but don't want to waste time regripping the racquet you're using.

Moz
07-31-2008, 12:55 AM
IMO you never want to be in a position where you have to use your last frame in a match. Therefore if you have ever broken strings you need at least 3 for tournament play.

fuzz nation
07-31-2008, 04:28 AM
As much time as you're putting in with your game, you might want to seriously consider learning to string your own frames - that's assuming that you don't string right now. That will take a lot of the worry out of having enough racquets for a big event or having to scramble to get fresh ropes if you pop a couple of your sticks on the same day. It can save on some cash over time, too.

Aside from becoming self sufficient with your own stringing machine, you obviously want at least two of the same frame in your bag, but you've got a heavy schedule to keep. I've found that having a third racquet is a huge luxury because I'm still safe if I pop a string and I can also put a different tension in one racquet if I want. If you're wondering whether you'll need more than that, I'd say get three (as long as you're sure you need more than two) and if you need even more than that, you'll know it before long.

certifiedjatt
07-31-2008, 05:23 AM
Are you a junior ADD? How could you not get direction from JR's guide? Maybe you should take up bocci ball -- the requisite gear will not tax your mind so much.

maybe you should not act all tough like you're some sort of a tough guy.

three rackets seem sufficient. but at thirteen, your body/mind are not developed enough to understand different playing styles, and different rackets and different weights. in other words, you don't have enough experience yet to go all out at a tennis shop. unless you're super sure about your playing style, super sure about which racket you want, and super rich, just get 2 of the same for now. i'm sure in a couple of years, you'll want to switch to something else as you get stronger and more mentally fit.

i would also HIGHLY recommend a book called Technical Tennis. it will dispel MOST OF the crap you'll read on this board, including impact of string tensions, strings material (i.e., polyester, gut, kevlar, etc) and of course, different rackets. DEFINITELY buy that book. NO IFS AND OR BUTS. seriously, go get it. it will save you tonnnnnns of money in the long run.