PDA

View Full Version : Head Calf skin grips...and RPNY questions?

geesechops
07-30-2008, 07:42 PM
I've used Babolat and Wilson leather grips. How do the Head calf skins compare? I'm looking for a little thinner and softer grip, which may be improbable, but hey.

The reason I ask is that I'm going to order 2 more MG Prestiges from RPNY and they have these among many other grips to choose from. Any suggestions?

Also, if anyone has ordered a Head racquet from RPNY with the Wilson shaped grips can you give me an idea how they compare in size and dimension with typical Wilson racquets you have. I usually use a 4 3/8 grip with a Tourna and Wilson over grip. So basically 2 over grips and no under grip. But I'm looking to get a 4 1/4 with a calf skin or the synthetic leather grip they have and use a Wilson over grip. I am more picky about my grip than anything else on a racquet so thanks for the help. These racquets are pretty costly and I want to try and get it right the first time.

Bud
07-30-2008, 08:16 PM
I've used Babolat and Wilson leather grips. How do the Head calf skins compare? I'm looking for a little thinner and softer grip, which may be improbable, but hey.

The reason I ask is that I'm going to order 2 more MG Prestiges from RPNY and they have these among many other grips to choose from. Any suggestions?

Also, if anyone has ordered a Head racquet from RPNY with the Wilson shaped grips can you give me an idea how they compare in size and dimension with typical Wilson racquets you have. I usually use a 4 3/8 grip with a Tourna and Wilson over grip. So basically 2 over grips and no under grip. But I'm looking to get a 4 1/4 with a calf skin or the synthetic leather grip they have and use a Wilson over grip. I am more picky about my grip than anything else on a racquet so thanks for the help. These racquets are pretty costly and I want to try and get it right the first time.

Definitely go for a TW grip... the thin one. I prefer them over the HEAD Calfskin. Check out the Ripstick I have advertised in the classifieds (tentatively sold). That is the thin TW grip on that. They are absolutely great! They are thin, have a great feel (softness) and just the right amount of tackiness.

Here's the link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/sbinsdca/PrinceRipstick800ForSalePics

markwillplay
07-30-2008, 08:23 PM
I have the head wilson shaped pallets from RPNY and love them...Love them. Worth every penny. I use babolat leather on mine but if I was going bareback, I would probably go for the thidker tw grip. I may even put one on one of my heads to see if I like it better than the babolat one with tournagrip.

geesechops
07-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the tip Bud.

Hey Mark, does the Wilson shaped pallet seem true to size and dimensions to other Wilson racquets. I know my dunlops are very round and my Wilsons are just right so I'm hoping that is the way the RPNY ones are. I like them to be a little flat. I think StormHolloway said his were a tad bigger than normal.

markwillplay
07-31-2008, 06:02 AM
Well I have never played with Wilson sticks so I cant really compare. They are not round like prince. They are still slightly rectangular but for my taste, they are perfect. the also do seem to be truye to size. They are perfect for me with leather and an overgrip. 1/2 with an overgrip is too much for me. I am thinking of putting the thickest leather I can find on one and going bareback to see how I like it.

Blade0324
07-31-2008, 08:57 AM
I have a couple sticks that RPNY changed the pallet for the Wilson shaped ones as well and I REALLY love them. Best investment on my racquets I have made. They feel true to size as best I can tell but I have also not played with Wilson frames either. I did not have RPNY install the grip on mine but initially went with the Wilson leather and it was pretty good. I use the pro overgrip and the Wilson leather is pretty firm so the bevels are very pronounced. I have since switched to a Yonex leather which is softer but somehow the feeling of the bevels is still just as good as with the Wilson. I don't have experience with the Head Leather so I can't really compare to the others. Hope this might helps a little.

Keifers
08-02-2008, 07:50 PM
I have the head wilson shaped pallets from RPNY and love them...Love them. Worth every penny. I use babolat leather on mine but if I was going bareback, I would probably go for the thidker tw grip. I may even put one on one of my heads to see if I like it better than the babolat one with tournagrip.

I have a couple sticks that RPNY changed the pallet for the Wilson shaped ones as well and I REALLY love them. Best investment on my racquets I have made. They feel true to size as best I can tell but I have also not played with Wilson frames either. I did not have RPNY install the grip on mine but initially went with the Wilson leather and it was pretty good. I use the pro overgrip and the Wilson leather is pretty firm so the bevels are very pronounced. I have since switched to a Yonex leather which is softer but somehow the feeling of the bevels is still just as good as with the Wilson. I don't have experience with the Head Leather so I can't really compare to the others. Hope this might helps a little.
mark and Blade,
I'm very interested in your experiences of RPNY changing your racquets to Wilson shaped handles. Were the original pallets on your racquets easily removable or were they molded on the frame like most racquets? And can you give me an idea of the cost?

I have a Head Ti.Classic that I'd like to get changed to the Wilson shape.

Many thanks.

(Please e-mail me at kwpsp-tt @ yahoo.com (remove spaces) if you'd prefer not to post RPNY's pricing online.)

Pleepers
08-04-2008, 02:17 PM
How much did RPNY charge you guys for the Wilson shapped pallets? Was this for the pallets only or did it include grip aswell? Thanks.

sargeinaz
08-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Can you order just a head calfskin grip from RPNY? If so, how much does one grip cost?

the Town Sherif
08-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Can you order just a head calfskin grip from RPNY? If so, how much does one grip cost?

~25 bucks shipped for a single one

geesechops
08-19-2008, 09:10 PM
How much did RPNY charge you guys for the Wilson shapped pallets? Was this for the pallets only or did it include grip aswell? Thanks.

RPNY told me that is was $60 each to change out the pallets.

drakulie
08-19-2008, 09:15 PM
I have two rpny frames (head microgel prestige mid) with the wilson grip shape. they are nearly identical to wilson grips. They are also leather head calfskin grips.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
08-20-2008, 08:26 AM
so all rpny does is change the pallets? they dont remold the handle?

Blade0324
08-20-2008, 11:30 AM
RPNY simply puts a Wilson shaped pallet on the frame. Not something that is normally available elsewhere. Also it does not change the weight or balance of the frame when they do this as long as you are not changing the size. I did not have them install the leather grip and the cost was $60 ea. I am using a yonex leather grip and like it better than the TW, Wilson, calfskin or babalot ones but that is just me.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
08-20-2008, 05:10 PM
alright thanks

hollywood9826
08-21-2008, 06:15 AM
so all rpny does is change the pallets? they dont remold the handle?

I think that depends on the racquet. I wanted to change my Tfight 325s to be 4 5/8 grip with the head shape. They said they would have to remold the pallet and charge 110 bucks a frame. I never mentioned the Wilson shaped grips so maybe they are different. I just wasnt gonna spend that kinda dough. So I sent the frames elswhere and got head pallets thrown on em.

jayserinos99
08-21-2008, 06:28 AM
Hmm, so RPNY changed the price to $60; when I changed the pallets it was $40. As for the Wilson shaped pallets, to me they're in between Wilson and Prince but definitely a great feel to them and also true to size; I have them on a MG Prestige Mid and some MG Prestige Pros. I also have the Head calfskin installed but I use an overgrip. It's a tad slick and if I were to go with a bare leather grip I'd use the TW brand grip.

jayserinos99
08-21-2008, 06:30 AM
I think that depends on the racquet. I wanted to change my Tfight 325s to be 4 5/8 grip with the head shape. They said they would have to remold the pallet and charge 110 bucks a frame. I never mentioned the Wilson shaped grips so maybe they are different. I just wasnt gonna spend that kinda dough. So I sent the frames elswhere and got head pallets thrown on em.

I think these pallets were originally intended for Head racquets. My pallets say "Ferr" on them so I would assume they were for Ferrero when he was still with Head? Anyway, the $110 number I believe is for a full handle remold and not the pallet. I believe I got something in that price range when I asked for a handle reshape a while back.

Blade0324
08-21-2008, 08:36 AM
You are correct Jayserinos99. If you have a raquet (ie Head) that has pallets on the handle and hot a molded handle like Wilson or Prince then RPNY can easily take the old pallets off and put the Wilson shaped ones on. This is the $60 prince. If you need to do something with a molded handle they will have to custom mold a new handle for you and that runs $110.