PDA

View Full Version : looking for insight on arm-issues and rackets...

ituleb
07-31-2008, 06:40 PM
after demoing a bunch of sticks, im beginning to feel some arm soreness/beginnings of TE. even with vibration dampeners, which i know dont do much but still help, im realizing more and more that im sensitive to vibrations and off-center shots. im a good player (3.5-4.0, pretty good strokes) but after demoing a bunch of frames across the gamut of head sizes, stiffness, weight, etc., im still having some issues. i know there are a variety of factors, and that it's not entirely a racket issue, but im trying to weed it out step by step. it kinda sucks because ive found some frames i like but just seem to tear up my arm.

which brings me to princes - ive hit with a few princes in the 'o' and 'speedport' series, and these 'o' things seem to be legit. im curious to hear what others have to say about it. it seems like b/c of the way the 'o' rackets are designed, it makes the sweetspot bigger, and subsequently mutes the frame. i know that it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but does this in theory help with arm issues? and with a racket like the speedport black, with such a high stiffness, is it still a legit theory? and are there other technologies i may be missing that help with similar issues?

backhand
07-31-2008, 10:19 PM
There are a lot of useful threads about arm friendly racquets. Try a search. Most include the O3's/Speedports.

Rorsach
07-31-2008, 10:59 PM
There's also the theory that most arm-problems are caused by the wrong technique.
Perhaps you could have a talk with a pro and see if there's anything in your stroke that you could change?

spkyEngrish
08-01-2008, 02:18 AM
Arm problems are usually caused by faulty technique, racquets or strings. The root of the problem is normally your technique, and the other two are catalysts. Regardless, each can ultimately lead to TE or shoulder injury, so it's not a good idea to ignore any single one of them.

BreakPoint
08-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Arm problems are usually caused by faulty technique, racquets or strings. The root of the problem is normally your technique, and the other two are catalysts. Regardless, each can ultimately lead to TE or shoulder injury, so it's not a good idea to ignore any single one of them.
True, but you can also have perfect technique and still get tennis elbow if you use the wrong racquet and/or strings/tension. Plenty of pros with great technique still get tennis/golfers elbow.

hawk45
08-01-2008, 05:12 PM
I did some research and found an article on here that suggested the following guidelines. I demo'd off of this and found a few I like.. but I also worked on my swing and it helped more than anything.

Weight (over 320grms or 11.3oz)
Stiffness (65 or under)
Head Wt (- 4 or more pts)

ratm355
11-12-2008, 08:45 PM
yes, a larger sweet spot is better for the arm. You might have developed the problem from trying so many rackets which resulted in a lot of off-center hits because you weren't used to the racket. The O3s are overhyped with their arm friendliness...they're not extra hard on the arm or anything...I'm just saying they aren't the most comfortable that is out there. It might work fine for you though. Basically, just find a racket that plays well with all natural gut and you should be fine. For elbow problems, heavier and more flexible rackets are the best. However, I wouldn't recommend taking that to the extreme. Just do some strengthening exercises if it's a big problem.

http://rehabworks.ksc.nasa.gov/education/protocols/basicwristelbow.php

As far as the vibrations thing...usually vibrations will only hurt your elbow if it's already inflamed or at least a little inflamed. A stiff racket like the O3 Black, wouldn't be that good of choice. I guess what I'm saying is less vibrations is better, but only removing the vibrations isn't going to do it.

Alafter
11-12-2008, 11:48 PM
Do everything everyone above said AND STOP PLAYING and rest until the pain is gone. Worked for me.

0d1n
11-13-2008, 12:21 AM
I actually think the demoing process itself can lead to arm problems. Frequently switching rackets and hitting with them does not give the body time to adjust and if the timing is off and more shots are mishit (especially with stiffish frames/strings) arm pain is just "the next step".
A frequent mistake I see (and sometimes I do it myself) is hit too hard too soon with a "new" racket instead of taking it easy and concentrating on hitting a clean ball. That can be a cause as well.

Bud
11-13-2008, 02:58 AM
after demoing a bunch of sticks, im beginning to feel some arm soreness/beginnings of TE. even with vibration dampeners, which i know dont do much but still help, im realizing more and more that im sensitive to vibrations and off-center shots. im a good player (3.5-4.0, pretty good strokes) but after demoing a bunch of frames across the gamut of head sizes, stiffness, weight, etc., im still having some issues. i know there are a variety of factors, and that it's not entirely a racket issue, but im trying to weed it out step by step. it kinda sucks because ive found some frames i like but just seem to tear up my arm.

which brings me to princes - ive hit with a few princes in the 'o' and 'speedport' series, and these 'o' things seem to be legit. im curious to hear what others have to say about it. it seems like b/c of the way the 'o' rackets are designed, it makes the sweetspot bigger, and subsequently mutes the frame. i know that it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but does this in theory help with arm issues? and with a racket like the speedport black, with such a high stiffness, is it still a legit theory? and are there other technologies i may be missing that help with similar issues?

I'm recovering from TE, too and the PK Kinetic line are awesome. I'm currently playing the Kinetic Pro 5G and loving it! :)

I also have (2) Ki5 PSE's for sale. THIS is one stable racquet... no vibration whatsoever... and the wide beam makes it resistant to twisting on off-center hits. It's one of the few racquets I own where I can drop a tennis ball right through the throat hole. I like to customize my racquet a bit so the PSE's are a tad too heavy in stock form.