PDA

View Full Version : why there is so much difference on the price of rackets?

David
07-31-2008, 07:07 PM
I noticed in the local store or on most of the website store (like TW) the player tennis rackets are usually 60-70$ higher than the same rackets on ****. Why the ****er sells their rackets so much lower?
Is there any difference between those rackets at different places?
Are the rackets sold on **** authentic?
I am thinking of getting some rackets. but don't know where I should go? I don't want any fake rackets.
thanks for answering.

logansc
07-31-2008, 07:09 PM
Well if you want to be safe there is nothing safer than dealing with an authorized retailer. I buy all my new sticks from TW.

geesechops
07-31-2008, 07:16 PM
If they are selling used and have a good record and decent pictures you should be o.k. But, I would never buy a new racquet from those dealers on the bay, especially the very low priced ones that should cost allot more. Your best bet is to check out the TW classifieds.

Zielmann
07-31-2008, 07:54 PM
Don't go by the Bay for getting ideas on what racquets should cost. It's an auction site, so clearly they will be listed cheaper than they should sell for.

Really, TW has the same prices as any authorized reseller of tennis equipment. Many companies have Minimum Advertised Prices as well. So if you are looking at an authorized dealer, they aren't allowed to sell the Speedport Tour for less than $199.00. It's just how things work to keep stuff fair.

If you're looking for a bargain on a racquet, check TW's liquidation page or buy a used or demo racquet.

quest01
07-31-2008, 09:30 PM
The only problems people have faced from buying tennis racquets from the bay are sellers from China. I have heard countless times these people deal in fakes and a lot of people are lewered in because of the low cost but beware you may end up with a fake in your hands.

VinhLam
07-31-2008, 09:47 PM
Well Tenniswarehouse is some of the cheapest prices I ever found. And They gurantee the cheapest as long as its not on sale. So if you find a lower price, You can talk to tenniswarehouse and they will try to beat it. It has to be a authrized dealer i think. Well TW is usualy lower because they are such a big company they can buy a lot of racquets for cheaper price. My coach gets his for about the same price as TW but since he needs to make moeny it becomes about $30 more. But he buys it when you wants to order it so you will get 1 yr warranty on the frame, TW orders their when they want so if your buying a racquet they have had in stock for 6 months. You will only get 6 months of that warranty. They are still authorized dealers though. So you can pick if you want to get the warranty and get your racquets replaced if they are cracked or you can get the cheaper price.

VinhLam
07-31-2008, 09:49 PM
My apologies i did not read the forum correctly.
3bay is gona be cheaper because 9.5/10 times they are fake or used.
It is better to buy a racquet from an authorized dealer.
In my opinion it isn't good to buy a used racquet because after use the make-up of the racquet change. If you take a look at the physic way matter will change. So over time the racquet will probably become less solid and less sturdy.
One quick questions
is it racquet or racket. I have seen both in the dictionary i believe.

supertrex
07-31-2008, 09:53 PM
used racquet is not bad. all are made in China nowadays anyways. Except for Yonex that is made in Japan.

So its up to you to see. I own wilson racquet used. with lead tape. and beating peeps with brand new racquets. sometimes :)

O btw, local tennis shop do sell cheaper than TW... dunno why. but your gonna have to pay taxes.

tennis_hand
08-01-2008, 12:35 AM
minimum advertised price is a practice of anti market competition. The resellers who hold the inventory don't have a complete say on the price, contrary to the market forces. The resellers succumb to this demand from the manufacturers, because they get benefits from the makers. In turn, the consumers suffer. The resellers also suffer because of reduced demand; but they are fooled to think it is even because they get "kickbacks" from the makers. They could have sold many more.

This is the same as Intel tells the PC sellers not to sell AMD.

if it were not for this, the price of rackets would have decreased a lot.

Rorsach
08-01-2008, 12:37 AM
[quote=supertrex;2573239]used racquet is not bad. all are made in China nowadays anyways. Except for Yonex that is made in Japan./quote]

It all depends on the model. My Yonex RD-5 is made in Taiwan.

BreakPoint
08-01-2008, 01:50 AM
But he buys it when you wants to order it so you will get 1 yr warranty on the frame, TW orders their when they want so if your buying a racquet they have had in stock for 6 months. You will only get 6 months of that warranty. They are still authorized dealers though. So you can pick if you want to get the warranty and get your racquets replaced if they are cracked or you can get the cheaper price.
That's not true at all. The one year warranty starts when the consumer purchases the racquet from an authorized dealer (like TW), NOT when they receive it into their inventory. TW could have a racquet in stock for a year and when you buy it, the one-year warranty starts on the date of your purchase, as stated on your receipt.

I think your coach has been telling you that just to get you to buy from him.

Nellie
08-01-2008, 07:10 AM
The only problems people have faced from buying tennis racquets from the bay are sellers from China. I have heard countless times these people deal in fakes and a lot of people are lewered in because of the low cost but beware you may end up with a fake in your hands.

This is absolutely a problem on shady auctions, particularly for Babolat racquets (I don't know why this brand has so mucj problems).

Specifically, the problem is not that the racquets are from China since, as mentioned above, most racquets (and most other things in the world now) are made in China. The true concerns are Chinese fakes - where the factory stays open at night making extras using the official mold but using sub-standard graphite and other materials to cut costs. You can see these autions in which the racquet is sent directely from China ($39 + 80 Shipping!)

That being said, I have bought a lot of racquets on auction - often from sponsered players/ coachs looking to make money by selling their free gear and using the old gear for another year. Per comments above, I also think some stores sell inventor below the required pricing.

I am not sure what a warrenty is worth these days, since my last couple of warrrenty claims have been denied.

Zielmann
08-01-2008, 07:41 AM
My apologies i did not read the forum correctly.
3bay is gona be cheaper because 9.5/10 times they are fake or used.

One quick questions
is it racquet or racket. I have seen both in the dictionary i believe.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that 95% of all racquets for sale on the bay are fake. Maybe just 95% of ksix-one 90's and all babolats...

Also, it'd be pretty difficult to fake the current Prince lineup. I actually read somewhere that a rep from Prince said they've seen less reports of fakes since releasing the O3 technology. Not saying that there aren't any fakes out there, but it's more likely that a Prince (O3 or newer) will be genuine.

But really, if somebody is selling a used racquet, it's more likely going to be legit. Especially if they have several pics of it showing the wear. These will also be cheaper. IMO, it's actually not a bad way to buy if it's in 8 or 9 condition.

VinhLam:

Racket if you live in the United states
Racquet if you live anywhere else, or live in the US and want to be fancy.

Frankly, I believe that Racquet was probably the original spelling (tennis has it roots over in Europe) but when americans picked up the word, they decided to change it to racket because, well, they could.

Return_Ace
08-01-2008, 08:01 AM
As long as you know what you're looking for, then the chances of buying a fake on **** are slim.

I bought my last 3 rackets there and been fine =].

David
08-01-2008, 08:13 AM
Frankly, I believe that Racquet was probably the original spelling (tennis has it roots over in Europe) but when americans picked up the word, they decided to change it to racket because, well, they could.

nice comments! :)