PDA

View Full Version : Roger's stick change...

consistency wins
07-31-2008, 10:09 PM
There have been a lot of threads and posts regarding the fact that people here think that Roger needs to change to a larger head size. I don't think that is true. Roger has the best eyes in the game. He has arguably the best fitness in the game. He also has the best timing in the game.

Roger had mono in the beginning of the season. It is not an excuse, but it takes a long time to recover from that illness. I don't think Roger has fully recovered from that. Considering his points to defend and his regime in regards to physical conditioning and workouts--he pushes it more than anyone. I remember posts on here about him taking three or four up and coming players and having them rotate out to stay fresh while he stayed on court bashing balls in the 125 degree heat in the desert. That type of workout system will not allow Roger to fully recover from a tough illness.

Those that say Roger needs and APD to compete with Rafa make me chuckle.

What Roger needs is rest. Following the US Open, I'd like to see him forget about the rankings, defending points, and just take time off from his workout schedule. Hit a few balls here and there to remember the muscle memory, etc. But don't push. Get fresh mentally and physically.

Roger's stick has nothing to do with it. He pushed damn hard for the last four years to stay where he is/was. Yes, he slipped, but it was bad timing with a serious illness such as mono and young guns pushing him and his defense of points in 2007.

It has nothing to do with the stick.....

crosscourt
08-01-2008, 12:38 AM
The guy needs confidence. His fitness looks ok to me now. Whether or not he needs a new racket to improve his strokes etc -- which I doubt -- what the article on Tennis.com pointed out was that a change in racket has boosted his confidence in the past. It doesn't strike me as essential, but if its a shortcut to gettign back into gear then maybe it would be worth experimenting with.

cc

quest01
08-01-2008, 01:50 AM
If Federer wants to surpass Sampras's 14 grand slam titles he needs to switch to a larger head size. He should start experimenting now and make the switch permanently if he wants to have any chance in not only breaking Sampras's open era record but to also winning the French Open.

BreakPoint
08-01-2008, 02:27 AM
If Federer wants to surpass Sampras's 14 grand slam titles he needs to switch to a larger head size. He should start experimenting now and make the switch permanently if he wants to have any chance in not only breaking Sampras's open era record but to also winning the French Open.
Geez, I wish you had told Federer that 5 years ago BEFORE he won his 12 Grand Slams in record time with his tiny racquet. :-?

albino smurf
08-01-2008, 03:43 AM
The idea of Federer not knowing what racquet he should use is hilarious. Like he is sitting around on a messageboard wanting to know what Rafa strings at so he can get his Babolat just right instead of working with the R&D folks at Wilson to customize his racquet so it fits him perfectly.

That article(column) was stupid. Want to get a lot of clicks to your website, post a headline like that. Others might include: Nadal should fire Tony if he wants to make #1... Sharapova should go back to left hand.. Why Djokovic is the G.O.A.T.

Federer is on the crest of the hill. It is sad, but he has accomplished a lot. He needs to do what the Williams sisters do now and pick and choose his battles. IMO he should skip the AO and focus on the clay if he wants the FO.. but with Nadal doing what he does and where he is in his career it might be better to write off the FO and focus on Wimbeldon or hardcourts exclusively if beating 14 is his focus.

2nd_Serve
08-01-2008, 08:27 AM

You wouldn't know that...

certifiedjatt
08-01-2008, 08:46 AM
There have been a lot of threads and posts regarding the fact that people here think that Roger needs to change to a larger head size. I don't think that is true. Roger has the best eyes in the game. He has arguably the best fitness in the game. He also has the best timing in the game.

Roger had mono in the beginning of the season. It is not an excuse, but it takes a long time to recover from that illness. I don't think Roger has fully recovered from that. Considering his points to defend and his regime in regards to physical conditioning and workouts--he pushes it more than anyone. I remember posts on here about him taking three or four up and coming players and having them rotate out to stay fresh while he stayed on court bashing balls in the 125 degree heat in the desert. That type of workout system will not allow Roger to fully recover from a tough illness.

What Roger needs is rest. Following the US Open, I'd like to see him forget about the rankings, defending points, and just take time off from his workout schedule. Hit a few balls here and there to remember the muscle memory, etc. But don't push. Get fresh mentally and physically.

Roger's stick has nothing to do with it. He pushed damn hard for the last four years to stay where he is/was. Yes, he slipped, but it was bad timing with a serious illness such as mono and young guns pushing him and his defense of points in 2007.

how do you know all this and what federer should be doing? how do you know he has the best eyes in the game????? is it because you saw a picture of federer looking right at the ball in mid stroke whereas most players' eyes are focused at a point behind the ball, i.e., "the past."

and as others have said repeatedly, if you have mono or other serious sicknesses, you can't push yourself in 125 degree heat nor can you reach the semis and finals of grand slams. it doesn't make sense to say that he lost in the finals of events because he has mono, but completely ignoring that he actually got to the finals!

08-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Not saying Fed should change, but Sampras did say in an interview that changing to a 95 head is something he may should have done at near the end. It all needs to be in context, but worth noting.

quest01
08-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Geez, I wish you had told Federer that 5 years ago BEFORE he won his 12 Grand Slams in record time with his tiny racquet. :-?

The thing is if Federer started out his career with a mid plus racquet instead of a mid he would have won probably 15 grand slams including a few French Open titles.

He would have already surpassed Sampras's 14 grand slam titles if he started out his career with a mid plus.

mtommer
08-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Why don't we all let Federer decide what Federer needs? If you're not a tour player, in or having been in the top five, may I suggest your opinions are worth as much as that stuff that comes out of your back end?

BreakPoint
08-01-2008, 02:06 PM
The thing is if Federer started out his career with a mid plus racquet instead of a mid he would have won probably 15 grand slams including a few French Open titles.

He would have already surpassed Sampras's 14 grand slam titles if he started out his career with a mid plus.
And you know this because......? :-?

Sampras won 14 Grand Slams with an 85. Federer won 12 Grand Slams with a 90. How can anyone in their right mind possibly claim that Federer would have won even more Grand Slams with a Mid Plus? :confused: That just baffles the mind. Logic would dictate that he would have won more Grand Slams if he had used a SMALLER racquet, because that's what Sampras did. Name one player that has won more Grand Slams than either Sampras or Federer using a Mid Plus? Go ahead. I'm waiting.

Look, just because you can't handle a Mid does not mean that Federer can't either. He obviously can handle his Mid just fine.

Rabbit
08-01-2008, 02:40 PM

Wow, just think what Agassi could have done with a Weed.

10isDad
08-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Why don't we all let Federer decide what Federer needs? If you're not a tour player, in or having been in the top five, may I suggest your opinions are worth as much as that stuff that comes out of your back end?

Hooray! Sanity! 100% Total agreement...

chazz
08-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Wow, just think what Agassi could have done with a Weed.

Haha. Ironically Agassi was experimenting with slightly smaller racquet Heads towards the end of his career.

BounceHitBounceHit
08-01-2008, 03:21 PM
The idea of Federer not knowing what racquet he should use is hilarious. .

Amen. How can anyone here think to counsel Roger Federer concerning tennis equipment?? :confused: CC

NoBadMojo
08-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Amen. How can anyone here think to counsel Roger Federer concerning tennis equipment?? :confused: CC

How do you know that fed hasnt been considering what we've been thinking is reasonable for some while and hasnt been experimenting with other less demanding frames perhaps when he goes to Dubai for practice for example. ? i've been saying for a year or so now, that it wouldnt hurt Fed to look to change to something w. a bigger sweetzone. he changed once, he could change again. he also changed string. believe it or not pros do make changes in their gear in the course of their careers in order to look for any possible little edge. Good players adapt and make changes especially when they are being passed by..i think Fed is a pretty good player.

hoodjem
08-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Sampras won 14 Grand Slams with an 85. Federer won 12 Grand Slams with a 90. How can anyone in their right mind possibly claim that Federer would have won even more Grand Slams with a Mid Plus? :confused: That just baffles the mind. Logic would dictate that he would have won more Grand Slams if he had used a SMALLER racquet, because that's what Sampras did. Name one player that has won more Grand Slams than either Sampras or Federer using a Mid Plus?

Good point. What did Emerson use for all his GS titles (singles and doubles), probably a 66 sq. in. head.

(Did Emmo use a Maxply?)

Rabbit
08-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Well, I think the facts speak for themselves:

Total prize money $41,742,219 (and counting)
Wilson endorsement $2,000,000/year for life
Nike endorsement estimated 6 figures a year too

I don't know....a 90 may be just right

autumn_leaf
08-01-2008, 04:38 PM

wow i knew the guy has to be making some serious money but wow...prolly worth around 100mil by now.

o yea. +1 post for this worthless thread, don't mean to offend the OP since they're sticking up for his choice of racquet but that's exactly what it is, his choice. for those thinking he should change to a larger frame like 95-100 then "you" should switch to a 135+

Rickson
08-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Roger is doing just fine.

NoBadMojo
08-01-2008, 06:06 PM

your comment has absolutely zero to do with what headsize Fed uses..it is only relevant to the brand name Fed uses..this is by your own statement.

quest01
08-01-2008, 06:37 PM

Not this year he's not. If Federer wants to have any chance of surpassing Sampras's open era record of 14 majors, he will need to switch to a larger head size in particular a mid plus. He needs to start experimenting with mid plus racquets immediately or he will be in jeopardy of never conquering the open era record.

This is his only saving grace.

RoddickistheMan
08-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Im for this too he really needs to quit being so stubborn and make some changes to his game. I mean look at nadal he made some drastic changes and they have made dividends. It wouldnt hurt to try especially since hes been losing like crazy as of late.

tennis_nerd22
08-01-2008, 07:03 PM
http://tennis.com/features/general/features.aspx?id=140804

i agree with the article

JW10S
08-01-2008, 09:01 PM
I suppose that threads like this just underline the overriding theme of this board--that it's the racquet that is the single most important factor in determining how one plays. Ability, training, practice and strategy have nothing to do with it. Can't hit a certain shot? Just get a new racquet. Lose some matches? Just get a new racquet. Need more spin? Just get a new racquet. Absurd...

Rabbit
08-01-2008, 09:54 PM
your comment has absolutely zero to do with what headsize Fed uses..it is only relevant to the brand name Fed uses..this is by your own statement.

Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing.

My statement has everything to do with the headsize Roger Federer uses since hsi results with that headsize and smaller earned him the $'s.

a) Players don't earn that kind of money for 2nd place
b) Players don't earn that kind of money in endorsements for not winning

You see, it wasn't that he won because of his endorsements. It was because he won that he got endorsements.

Speaking of reading comprehension, where's the sig? No love/advertising for the Becker Mid?

Rickson
08-01-2008, 11:51 PM
Couch coaches claiming Roger would do better with a larger head. What else is new?

BreakPoint
08-01-2008, 11:54 PM
Good point. What did Emerson use for all his GS titles (singles and doubles), probably a 66 sq. in. head.

(Did Emmo use a Maxply?)
Well, he used a wood racquet I believe and almost all of them were about 65 sq. in. Even the early metal racquets were the same size, some even smaller I think.

Richie Rich
08-02-2008, 07:42 AM
I've stayed with the same racquet head size (100 square inch) for a little while now but lets not mix up recreational players with professional tennis players.

Trust me if Federer ever wants to save his career and give himself an opportunity to succeed for the future he must change to a mid plus. This is his only hope for survival in surpassing Sampras's open era record. Listen its got to be done or Federer's lasting legacy will be over and when he's 40 he's going to ponder why he never changed to a larger head size. He will end up writing a book dedicated to why he regrets never switching to a larger head size.

why MUST he change? The guy has played his whole career with an 85/90 sq inch racquet. he has figured out what works for him. one off year (results, by the way, that most other pro's would kill for) by Fed's standards doesn't mean he has to overhaul his game or his equipment.

going to a larger head frame now would probably result in worse results for a guy like federer. but who knows, he may switch, but i doubt it and i don't think he needs to.

speaking of regrets, i'm sure every pro has regrets when their career is over. something they could have done different will be in the back of their minds.

MAX PLY
08-02-2008, 08:25 AM
I've stayed with the same racquet head size (100 square inch) for a little while now but lets not mix up recreational players with professional tennis players.

Trust me if Federer ever wants to save his career and give himself an opportunity to succeed for the future he must change to a mid plus. This is his only hope for survival in surpassing Sampras's open era record. Listen its got to be done or Federer's lasting legacy will be over and when he's 40 he's going to ponder why he never changed to a larger head size. He will end up writing a book dedicated to why he regrets never switching to a larger head size.

There you have it. Clearly a highly ranked player or teaching pro AND a psychic weighing in on how Federer can "save his career." Any stocks I should buy?

TennisDawg
08-02-2008, 09:43 AM

A bit contradictory when you consider that Pete played with a smaller racquet head, I beleive 85 sqin. Keep in mind that Roger has won 12 grand slams with a small head size.

s7evin
08-02-2008, 10:40 AM
If your game performance suddenly drops, do you immediately start to blame your equipment that served you well for ~10 years???

Just think about what are you saying.
What are these theories based on?- Did everyone started to play better all of a sudden or does Fed have a bad year (i think that the one who doesn't know which one is more likely to be true is a ******)
Give the man a break what do you except that he plays 20 years on the tour flawless?
I thik that he knows what's wrong and if it was the racket he would change it.

NoBadMojo
08-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Irrelevant

for sure...people keep bringing up stuff from then..this is now...the game has changed. the game has even changes since Sampras retired let alone when Emmo played. a 64k dual 5.25" single density floppy computer used to be the cats pajamas years ago.

Fed really does NOW have a big problem with high bounding balls to his backhand with many and just not with Nadal. <especially on his return of serve>. There is too little hitting space on a 90headsized racquet because of the face angle and sweetzone size to slice his backhand back with control and pace with the way those balls are coming at him, and he doesnt have a choice of shots because the balls are up too high and hit too hard for him to hit over on..it's matter of the geometry...

sureshs
08-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Fed really does NOW have a big problem with high bounding balls to his backhand with many and just not with Nadal. <especially on his return of serve>

That is correct. It was pointed out by commentators in CIncy that Fed had big trouble with the Karlovic serve when it bounced high to his BH. It is not just Rafa and topspin anymore, it is others too.

Richie Rich
08-02-2008, 11:16 AM
That is correct. It was pointed out by commentators in CIncy that Fed had big trouble with the Karlovic serve when it bounced high to his BH. It is not just Rafa and topspin anymore, it is others too.

so are there any players with a one handed b/h, regardless of racquet headsize they use, that wouldn't have had trouble with karlovic's serve or nadal's topspin? it's got more to do with the one handed b/h being a weaker shot on those types of balls than the frame he uses

sureshs
08-02-2008, 11:17 AM
so are there any players with a one handed b/h, regardless of racquet headsize they use, that wouldn't have had trouble with karlovic's serve or nadal's topspin? it's got more to do with the one handed b/h being a weaker shot on those types of balls than the frame he uses

Yes the basic problem is the 1 hander. But 95 is a good compromise for him.

Richie Rich
08-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Yes the basic problem is the 1 hander. But 95 is a good compromise for him.

i'm sure fed will be glad to take your recommendation under consideration - since you know exactly what he needs and are qualified to give that recommendation :lol:

MAX PLY
08-02-2008, 11:27 AM
for sure...people keep bringing up stuff from then..this is now...the game has changed. the game has even changes since Sampras retired let alone when Emmo played. a 64k dual 5.25" single density floppy computer used to be the cats pajamas years ago.

Fed really does NOW have a big problem with high bounding balls to his backhand with many and just not with Nadal. <especially on his return of serve>. There is too little hitting space on a 90headsized racquet because of the face angle and sweetzone size to slice his backhand back with control and pace with the way those balls are coming at him, and he doesnt have a choice of shots because the balls are up too high and hit too hard for him to hit over on..it's matter of the geometry...

Please read The Physics and Technology of Tennis by Howard Brody and Technical Tennis by Rod Cross. Then, please explain how a bigger racquet (especially by a whole 5 square inches!) would materially increase the area of contact between the ball and the strings. The high bounding ball to the backhand "weakness" (a very relative term) is more a function of the spin of the oncoming ball, grip, turn, footwork and the type of backhand one is trying to hit (i.e., flat, underspin or topspin). A larger racquet may (and I reapeat MAY--because there are about a zillion factors, stiffness, string pattern, etc) require less effort on such a shot because it is more powerful but that potential result has nothing to do with geometry. Why one would choose a different racquet for that one shot also makes no sense (because if his opponent doesn't get it to his backhand, Roger has a high inside out forehand asking to be spanked).

Bubba
08-02-2008, 11:43 AM

That's just a stupid statement. Where'd you buy your crystal ball?

NoBadMojo
08-02-2008, 11:50 AM

good point. There is a big advantage to a two fister on the return of serve, and you can always go to a one if you get pulled really wide.

since Fed obviously isnt going to switch to a two hander, i dont think it a bad idea that he consider switching to something with a bit more sweetzone real estate , if he already isnt considering

Please read The Physics and Technology of Tennis by Howard Brody and Technical Tennis by Rod Cross. Then, please explain how a bigger racquet (especially by a whole 5 square inches!) would materially increase the area of contact between the ball and the strings. The high bounding ball to the backhand "weakness" (a very relative term) is more a function of the spin of the oncoming ball, grip, turn, footwork and the type of backhand one is trying to hit (i.e., flat, underspin or topspin). A larger racquet may (and I reapeat MAY--because there are about a zillion factors, stiffness, string pattern, etc) require less effort on such a shot because it is more powerful but that potential result has nothing to do with geometry. Why one would choose a different racquet for that one shot also makes no sense (because if his opponent doesn't get it to his backhand, Roger has a high inside out forehand asking to be spanked).

i explain this by saying that racquets w. larger sweetzones have larger sweetzones and are therefore easier to flush hit especially when faced with awkward balls

Rabbit
08-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Could it just be that Federer is having, for him, a down year? A slump? Sheesh....the guy loses two GS finals in a row and everybody's ready to completely retool his game.

Babb
08-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Best fitness in the game, OP? Um... I really need to save that picture on my PC for quick reference-- the one of his stomach sticking out. That's shameful for a pro tennis player, IMO.

BounceHitBounceHit
08-02-2008, 08:21 PM
How do you know that fed hasnt been considering what we've been thinking is reasonable for some while and hasnt been experimenting with other less demanding frames perhaps when he goes to Dubai for practice for example. ? i've been saying for a year or so now, that it wouldnt hurt Fed to look to change to something w. a bigger sweetzone. he changed once, he could change again. he also changed string. believe it or not pros do make changes in their gear in the course of their careers in order to look for any possible little edge. Good players adapt and make changes especially when they are being passed by..i think Fed is a pretty good player.

Hey Mojo,

I think it's likely Fed has tried out other, potentially even larger, frames. I've even always wondered if Wilson may have 'cooked up' the HPS 6.0 95 for him because it, in essence, plays like a slightly larger, slightly more powerful K90. ;)

What I was addressing in my post was the idea that Fed needs any of US to counsel him concerning matters related to tennis. :)

Be well,

CC

hoosierbr
08-02-2008, 09:00 PM
I think it's unwise for Fed or anyone to automatically assume that it's time to change racquets. Fed has lacked confidence all year going back to Australia. Confidence is the great equalizer as we all know. Fed lost it and got it back at Wimby but came up short. He didn't play a great match and still almost won.

I was hoping his come from behind win against Ginepri would be a spark. Maybe it'll take an Olympic medal.

VGP
08-02-2008, 09:09 PM
I suppose that threads like this just underline the overriding theme of this board--that it's the racquet that is the single most important factor in determining how one plays. Ability, training, practice and strategy have nothing to do with it. Can't hit a certain shot? Just get a new racquet. Lose some matches? Just get a new racquet. Need more spin? Just get a new racquet. Absurd...

I like this post.....

.....this is Tennis Warehouse's discussion board, right?

.....and Tennis Warehouse sells, like uh, tennis stuff......rackets etc.

.....perhaps there are posters that are planted here (or at least paid) by TW to play on your insecurities and perceived need for more tennis crap.

BreakPoint
08-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Best fitness in the game, OP? Um... I really need to save that picture on my PC for quick reference-- the one of his stomach sticking out. That's shameful for a pro tennis player, IMO.
Federer outlasted Ginepri in the intense heat and humidity of Cincy and Ginepri is renowned for being one of the fittest guys on the tour. Federer also looked physically fine in the 3rd set tiebreak against Karlovic in the midday sun and heat and humidity while Nadal looked pretty spent by the 2nd set in a night match against Haas. When Federer says he's fitter than Nadal, I tend to believe him. That's what training in the heat of Dubai does for you.

Now I know someone's going to mention his mono, but he's in the recovery stage so it would still be hard for him to sustain that kind of energy over too many matches in a row.

tennis_hand
08-02-2008, 11:44 PM

He doesn't have to change. He will still play well.
But if he changes to a slightly larger one, he will player better at this time of his conditions.

Look. He used to be a S&Ver in the early days. But now he is now mostly a baseliner. When he S&V, a small head size probably served him. Now that he mostly stays behind the baseline, a larger racket will do him good.

Just take a K90 and a tennis ball to compare. The K90's sweetspot is probably the same size as that of a ball. U gotta hit it every time. and wonder why he had so much mishits on his backhand? when he used to S&V using the PS 85, it doesn't expose it much because u volley most of the time.

His game and time have changed. His racket should also change with that, if he is adaptive as with the rest of his games.

Chris Dono
08-03-2008, 01:23 AM
mono takes alot out of you.. i had it.

BreakPoint
08-03-2008, 01:58 AM
Just take a K90 and a tennis ball to compare. The K90's sweetspot is probably the same size as that of a ball. U gotta hit it every time. and wonder why he had so much mishits on his backhand?
You should take a 90 and overlay it on a 95. There's barely any difference. Thus, the difference in the sizes of the sweetspots is negligable. If the size of the sweetspot on his 90 is the size of a tennis ball, then the size of the sweetspot on a 95 is the size of 1.05 tennis balls since 95 is only 5% bigger than 90. That's not going to help him much. All the bigger racquet is going to do is give him less maneuverability and slow down his racquet head speed.

D. Dokas
08-03-2008, 02:18 AM
if federer needs a 95 to reduce frames at RG i need a gamma big bubba.
guys c'mon listen to yourselfs at breakpoint said above there is almost no difference between a 90 and 95. he is not winning roland garos if he changes. wilson and federer have both created a racquet to perfectly suit federer.
please why would he change?

m_b
08-03-2008, 06:33 AM

Shameful, really ? Get your facts straight please. Federer is an elite super athlete - witness for instance his quicksilver foot speed - and you can bet he is super strong as well. People have been brainwashed to think that fit and strong means a Rambo physique. But the truth is strength begins with the tendons and ligaments and Federer's must be like steel wire. Federer is strong in the same way a master martial artist who is almost ordinary looking can be.

Satch
08-03-2008, 06:48 AM
You should take a 90 and overlay it on a 95. There's barely any difference. Thus, the difference in the sizes of the sweetspots is negligable. If the size of the sweetspot on his 90 is the size of a tennis ball, then the size of the sweetspot on a 95 is the size of 1.05 tennis balls since 95 is only 5% bigger than 90. That's not going to help him much. All the bigger racquet is going to do is give him less maneuverability and slow down his racquet head speed.

after this post we can only close this thread, that's the point.

NoBadMojo
08-03-2008, 07:15 AM

-holding up one racquet to another doesnt prove anything regarding sweetzone size. ie; the becker11Mid has a larger sweetzone than the 95 sized Wilsons

-a 5% benefit may be all that Federer needs to make a difference. at the pro level of play, very small improvents can seriously change results and can bring confidence back..can easily make the difference between winning and losing

-bigger racquets arent necessarily less maneuverable than smaller..many of them are more maneuverable

-bigger racquets by their nature dont slow down batspeed. batspeed is a function of swingweight

Rabbit
08-03-2008, 07:42 AM
-holding up one racquet to another doesnt prove anything regarding sweetzone size. ie; the becker11Mid has a larger sweetzone than the 95 sized Wilsons

In your opinion. I don't know of any objective measure of sweet spot which will bear this statement out.

-a 5% benefit may be all that Federer needs to make a difference. at the pro level of play, very small improvents can seriously change results and can bring confidence back..can easily make the difference between winning and losing

I agree here, but only if Federer thinks he needs it. Apparently he doesn't so he really won't reap any benefit and may suffer from any adjustments he has to make in his game.

-bigger racquets arent necessarily less maneuverable than smaller..many of them are more maneuverable

disgree here. All things being equal, larger rackets are less maneuverable. Sure, if you go to a 9 ounce 110 sq in frame from a K90 it will feel quicker, but change nothing but the headsize and they aren't.

-bigger racquets by their nature dont slow down batspeed. batspeed is a function of swingweight

agree, but Federer's increasing Federer's swing isn't the issue as I understand it. This is non sequitir.

Andyk028
08-03-2008, 08:58 AM
I agree with the change in headsize.

Whatever Sampras did with his PS 85 is irrelevant to the matter. Technology has changed..Nadal can hit spin the ball with supernatural like finesse and Roddick's serve

Players are taking advantage of the new technology, Roger really should as well...and lets be honest...that extra 5 inches (k95) would erradicate those shanks

BounceHitBounceHit
08-03-2008, 12:09 PM
As if there is anyone on this board who should or could give advice to Federer?
Ho ho ho, don't make me laugh.

Ahhhh, sanity. ;) CC

BreakPoint
08-03-2008, 12:21 PM

Then if the size of the sweetspot is Federer's problem, shouldn't he be looking to switch to a 90 with a larger sweetspot rather than just switching to a 95 version of the same racquet? Switching to a 95 will throw off his strokes as he's not used to swinging anything larger than a 90. His serve will also likely suffer as the sweetspot will he closer to his hand.

BreakPoint
08-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Yes, and bigger racquets tend to have higher swingweights ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL. Just check out Vantage. You can select all the exact same specs for your racquet (weight, balance, etc.) but if you choose the larger head size, the swingweight will automatically go up. It's just common sense that something bigger is harder to swing and maneuver than something smaller ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL. That's why they make junior racquets smaller rather than bigger.

BreakPoint
08-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Players are taking advantage of the new technology, Roger really should as well...and lets be honest...that extra 5 inches (k95) would erradicate those shanks
Sorry, but I don't believe that for a second. Shanking is much more a function of your racquet head speed and angle of swing than it is of your head size. That's why Nadal shanks even more than Federer does even though he uses a 100. Federer's shanks due to his incredible racquet head speed and he would shank just as much with a 95 as with a 90, maybe even more due to the wider beam.

Richie Rich
08-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Shanking is much more a function of your racquet head speed and angle of swing than it is of your head size. ...maybe even more due to the wider beam.

wider beam does contribute greatly to shanks, especially if using an aggressive angle of attack to get the spin these guys get.

fed's shanks are probably related to swing speed, angle of the racquet face and size of the racquet face.

nadal's shanks are probably related to swingspeed, angle, and beam width.

drakulie
08-03-2008, 02:20 PM
nadal shanks more than federer?? LOL, do you even watch tennis? or just post/troll here???

I know it seems hard to believe>>> but last year I actually counted shanks in several Federer matches. This is when the boards blew up and seemed like every other thread was discussing how much Federer shanked the ball.

In every one>>> his opponent shanked more than he did, including a few Fed/Nadal matches.

nadal's shanks are probably due to the angle of attack he takes on the ball>>> and of course his amazing racquet head speed.

Andyk028
08-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Sorry, but I don't believe that for a second. Shanking is much more a function of your racquet head speed and angle of swing than it is of your head size. That's why Nadal shanks even more than Federer does even though he uses a 100. Federer's shanks due to his incredible racquet head speed and he would shank just as much with a 95 as with a 90, maybe even more due to the wider beam.

Nadal definetly produces more head speed than Federer..c'mon now, even a G.O.A.T like you knows that =).

The only time i really ever see Nadal shank balls is on his opponents first service game..just so he can get a feel for his tension/court space/swing/etc..so I still can't feel right agreeing with you.

pmerk34
08-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Nadal definetly produces more head speed than Federer..c'mon now, even a G.O.A.T like you knows that =).

The only time i really ever see Nadal shank balls is on his opponents first service game..just so he can get a feel for his tension/court space/swing/etc..so I still can't feel right agreeing with you.

Fed needs to get rid of that ultra demanding, pea sized having sweetspot relic and go for somethign which actually help him a la Nadals frame.

Richie Rich
08-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Fed needs to get rid of that ultra demanding, pea sized having sweetspot relic and go for somethign which actually help him a la Nadals frame.

sure thing. play with a thin beamed 85/90 pretty much your whole life and professional career and then all of a sudden switch to a widebody 100 sq inch frame.

the only people who can make a switch like this are us 4.5 and lower here on TW.

i bet fed hits harder with his 90 than nadal and his 100. i don't see nadal serving in the 130's too often.

Andyk028
08-03-2008, 05:40 PM
[/QUOTE]i bet fed hits harder with his 90 than nadal and his 100. i don't see nadal serving in the 130's too often.[/QUOTE]

Thats just the thing, Nadal play like that...he chooses to set up his opponents with a stragetically placed serve.

Richie Rich
08-03-2008, 05:51 PM
i bet fed hits harder with his 90 than nadal and his 100. i don't see nadal serving in the 130's too often.[/QUOTE]

Thats just the thing, Nadal play like that...he chooses to set up his opponents with a stragetically placed serve.[/QUOTE]

if you call spinning it in most of the time "strategic" then that's cool :lol:

my point was a 100sq inch frame isn't going to help fed.

why do so many people challenge one of the GOAT's racquet choices? fine, question whether a 4.5 should use a 90 sq inch frame but to question fed for it? the results surely speak for themselves

Andyk028
08-03-2008, 06:07 PM
[/QUOTE]why do so many people challenge one of the GOAT's racquet choices? fine, question whether a 4.5 should use a 90 sq inch frame but to question fed for it? the results surely speak for themselves[/QUOTE]

I'm not questioning anyone. I'm saying that Fed may do better with a 95 frame...the spin off of half the tour's player's strings causes tremendous spin and power..a 5 inch increase would give him the extra cushion.

drakulie
08-03-2008, 06:28 PM
the spin off of half the tour's player's strings causes tremendous spin and power..

Roger is probably not aware of this. :roll:

zacinnc78
08-03-2008, 06:55 PM
even if it were remotely plausible (and it probably is not)federer is not gonna get a bigger racquet lol hes too proud ...its like admitting hes losing his skill or manliness ,he will later (like sampras)during retirement say maybe he should have and he coulda won a couple french's

pmerk34
08-03-2008, 07:02 PM
even if it were remotely plausible (and it probably is not)federer is not gonna get a bigger racquet lol hes too proud ...its like admitting hes losing his skill or manliness ,he will later (like sampras)during retirement say maybe he should have and he coulda won a couple french's

only an idiot would think moving to a better frame is admitting anything other than you are smart enough to keep up with the times.

BounceHitBounceHit
08-03-2008, 07:05 PM
only an idiot would think moving to better frame is admitting anything other than you are smart enough to keep up with the times.

Perhaps. But there is also an old adage: "Dance with the one what brung 'ya" ;)

CC

ART ART
08-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Dent once said: ..." the k90" is a very good racket for attack, but a very poor racket for defence..., so Im served with the 95", cause it's the best of 2 worlds..."

It's a PRO ATP Tennis player talk...

- Roger is no longer 21 or 23 years old, that's a fact.
- Is boddy is no longer well fitted like nadal.
- A change as to be made, or a body treatment, or a racket change.
- An 90" doesn't give anyone's room for error, but a 95" will do the trick.
- Right now Federer is the new Sampras, with the same odd's... His RACKET !

This week Roger will discuss the new model for the next season with Wilson, yes it's part of his contract to discuss it. Wilson whant's to launch a new racket called something like "S&F tour...", and the discuss about the frame size is on top of the table... let's wait !

... the years have past ...

pmerk34
08-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Dent once said: ..." the k90" is a very good racket for attack, but a very poor racket for defence..., so Im served with the 95", cause it's the best of 2 worlds..."

Roger is no longer 21 or 23 years old, that's a fact.
Is boddy is no longer well fitted like nadal.

... the years have past ...

Feds the only top 10 guy using under 93 sq inches. Obviously he has become one of the GOATS so his raquet of choice was clearly the right one for him. This past year are not up to his standards and this is probabaly a permanent decline so it's time to switch. Why use a frame that demands perfection when you can no longer quite acheive that perfection? Unlike the other major sports, equipment in pro tennis is CRITICAL. The idea that an easier frame to use could never help him is absurd. Even Dayvadenko admitted he plays better with the 18 x 20 ozone..

drakulie
08-03-2008, 07:33 PM

Hmmm??? how many slams did Dent win with that 95???

BounceHitBounceHit
08-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Hmmm??? how many slams did Dent win with that 95???

Let me see Drak.........Hummm.............Ahhhhh............. ......Hummmmmmmmmm......NONE? ;) CC

drakulie
08-03-2008, 07:41 PM
That's what i thought. Just coudln't remember with all these people putting such weight on his thoughts to racquet choice.

ART ART
08-03-2008, 08:03 PM
C'mon guys... we all know that a 90" is the best for an attaking game, but we still now that nowadays Roger's no longer well fitted to perform that kind of game...

Last week's (all this year...) we could see that is no longer the fast player he was in the past...

Nadal is the new #1 not for is (bad, poor loopy)strokes, but for his strengh and fast runner... Roger was like him(well fited) in the past, not this days... but he still has the best strokes in the tour... BUT only when he his in the lead of the point !

EDIT: this week Roger is going to try a new racket... guess what?... 95" inches frame... let's see how it will perform with that frame.

jorel
08-04-2008, 05:03 AM
And you know this because......? :-?

Sampras won 14 Grand Slams with an 85. Federer won 12 Grand Slams with a 90. How can anyone in their right mind possibly claim that Federer would have won even more Grand Slams with a Mid Plus? :confused: That just baffles the mind. Logic would dictate that he would have won more Grand Slams if he had used a SMALLER racquet, because that's what Sampras did. Name one player that has won more Grand Slams than either Sampras or Federer using a Mid Plus? Go ahead. I'm waiting.

Look, just because you can't handle a Mid does not mean that Federer can't either. He obviously can handle his Mid just fine.

its because he can handle a mid is why he and Sampras are so dominant

most pros cant and if you can.... then the advantage goes to you,,.. playing with a mid has many advantages over a midplus and if you are good enuf to find the sweetspot consistently(the only weakness of a mid) then using a mid is to your advantage

pmerk34
08-04-2008, 05:33 AM
C'mon guys... we all know that a 90" is the best for an attaking game, but we still now that nowadays Roger's no longer well fitted to perform that kind of game...

Last week's (all this year...) we could see that is no longer the fast player he was in the past...

Nadal is the new #1 not for is (bad, poor loopy)strokes, but for his strengh and fast runner... Roger was like him(well fited) in the past, not this days... but he still has the best strokes in the tour... BUT only when he his in the lead of the point !

EDIT: this week Roger is going to try a new racket... guess what?... 95" inches frame... let's see how it will perform with that frame.

Nadal has bad loopy strokes? LOL are you insane?

Lets give Roger a few months to get usd to his 95 sq frame before we judge

Madhoshi22
08-04-2008, 06:21 AM

Roger is what, 26 now? He still has a lot of years left in the game per his interest in it. You can't say that he's not fit. Sure this year hasn't been up to previous expectation, but still, he reached the semis at AO, finals in Paris and Wimby, all with a 90 (or 88). Like it or not, those are great results. To those who say he should have switched earlier in his career, he's playing fine with the 90, there's absolutely no reason to switch.

pmerk34
08-04-2008, 06:30 AM
Roger is what, 26 now? He still has a lot of years left in the game per his interest in it. You can't say that he's not fit. Sure this year hasn't been up to previous expectation, but still, he reached the semis at AO, finals in Paris and Wimby, all with a 90 (or 88). Like it or not, those are great results. To those who say he should have switched earlier in his career, he's playing fine with the 90, there's absolutely no reason to switch.

He needs to switch

NoBadMojo
08-04-2008, 09:27 AM
He needs to switch

I think he will. look for him to play his present stick through the USOpen and be ready to play with a new bat for the Oz Open

fed isnt in a temporary slump. he's getting passed by. i said last year that fed would either win 0 slams or 1 slam in 08'. the racquet does matter, especially at high levels of play. he used to be able to get away w. misshits and frame balls costing him points and still win the key matches...he cant any more.

sureshs
08-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Nadal is the new #1 not for is (bad, poor loopy)strokes, but for his strengh and fast runner...

What? Do you know how pros struggle against that topspin? Federer can barely put the ball back into play when it comes to his BH.

ShooterMcMarco
08-04-2008, 12:12 PM
This is ridiculous. Hopefully he starts winning again to stop this madness.

pmerk34
08-04-2008, 12:32 PM
This is ridiculous. Hopefully he starts winning again to stop this madness.

He won't with that racquet.

ShooterMcMarco
08-04-2008, 02:50 PM

Yeah ok, so all of a sudden because he loses matches to guys he wasn't losing to, its the racquet's fault? Its his confidence right now, thats the issue.

Cup8489
08-04-2008, 02:56 PM

http://media.g4tv.com/images/blog/2007/11/27/633317514784490542.jpg

just because you're jealous don't assume federer can't win with a 90. hell, andy roddick can't win with a 100! but it's not because his frame sucks, it's because he doesn't have the skill necessary to beat enough people to win big tournaments. don't blame the equipment. if what federer uses wasn't working for him, he'd switch.

Jhm37
08-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Count me in with all those people who think that on the long list of Federer's problems the size of his racquet head is way down there in significance and probably not there at all. Before the racquet comes training issues, confidence, inevitable slump after years of record setting performances, footwork, sickness, loss of focus, concentration fading in and out of matches, loss of interest in the non-slam tournaments, bad tweaks in his game like spending less time at net (the inverse of Roddick? Federer the kamikaze baseliner?), jet commercials, mysterious bump on his face that the media did an impressive job ignoring, a girlfriend who texts too much during his matches, hanging out with mean-faced editors of fashion magazines, a ridiculous vainglorious hat with his initials on it, ugly sweaters, and man-purses. Better to address those before making a head-size change.

Anybody know if he's messing with string tension more than normally? A fair number of his errors seem to be hitting long just a bit. Increasing the tension a few pounds might help him out with that. Hard to imagine a man who fiddles with his tension hasn't already tried it, but I do wonder if he's considered moving above his normal range. His game and attitude have been so erratic this year it's no wonder there are so many threads and ideas on what's happening, and leaving us questioning just what he has and has not tried to do to get back to his old level of play.

How about having the big brains at Wilson work over-time and figure out a way to increase the sweetspot of the K90 without appreciably altering the weight, swing-weight, and balance? There's an idea.

baseline08thrasher
08-04-2008, 04:08 PM
He may need to switch to a larger frame when he gets older because it's hard to get your hands on such a fast ball, from Rafael nadal or Djokovic.
He plays beautifully now, but if he had a more powerful frame maybe he could have less miss hits, because I've tried the racquet he uses and it's really hard to get the sweetspot everytime like he does.
When you don't with his racquet everything starts to fly.

Satch
08-04-2008, 05:47 PM
BECAUSE TENNIS TECHNOLOGY IS CHANGING

WHY DONT PEOPLE USE WOODEN RACQUETS ANYMORE????!!!!

what does technology have to do with head size? and do you know that tehnchnology that 90% of todays pro's rackets have were invented about 10-20 years ago.

BounceHitBounceHit
08-04-2008, 07:15 PM
He may need to switch to a larger frame when he gets older because it's hard to get your hands on such a fast ball, from Rafael nadal or Djokovic.
He plays beautifully now, but if he had a more powerful frame maybe he could have less miss hits, because I've tried the racquet he uses and it's really hard to get the sweetspot everytime like he does.
When you don't with his racquet everything starts to fly.

Are you comparing your experience with the K90 to Federer's? :) CC

Rabbit
08-04-2008, 07:23 PM
BECAUSE TENNIS TECHNOLOGY IS CHANGING

WHY DONT PEOPLE USE WOODEN RACQUETS ANYMORE????!!!!

Because they don't make wood rackets any more...

Toxicmilk
08-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Tell a swordsman he needs the range of a spear
Tell the sun he needs to run on the new duracell batteries, that old hot core is crap.
Tell Federer he must ABSOLUTELY change his racquet.

I will always laugh at you.

Rabbit
08-05-2008, 08:07 AM
And how many Grand Slams or even any tournaments has Bogomolov won with his latest high-tech lightweight racquet?

If techology in racquets helped pros win, ALL of them would switch to the latest and greatest high tech racquet. But the fact is, almost NONE of them do, not even Nadal. Nadal's racquet is an old model and he uses old strings. Technology in racquets is only for hackers that can't play tennis on their own but need the assistance of "technology" to play. Most pros know how to play tennis on their own. Djokovic, Safin, Roddick, Blake, Hewitt, etc. - none of them use the latest and greatest racquet technology.

This is true, but with the march of time, the newer pros will be using the newer technology. So, there is a lag behind what club players use and what the top pros use, but I think that lag is getting to be less and less. This is not to say that a top pro will ever use a Weed or Big Bubba, but who'd have thought a racket like the Pure Drive would've been used by more pros than something more traditional like a Prince Graphite?

Also, weights and balances continue to shift to lighter and more toward the head of the frame as the game moves further away from the net.

oh sure..Flexpoint holes have been around for a long time according to you. you dont know what Bogomolovs racquet is made of. as i said, i really dont think old early obsolete graphite prepreg is even available anymore...why? because it is old and obsolete, just like most midsized frames..time marches on...the game changes..the gear changes. just because some poeople here are living in the 80's doesnt mean the real world is

Likewise, you don't know if it has 'predrag', old style graphite and/or twaron in it either. There is just a good a chance that it could if that's what the pro dictated and Head listened. Or, they could have been a couple of frames Head sent down for him to try out. Or, as noted, they could have been frames that Head sent for him to test that hadn't been customized to his tastes meaning that they were blanks without any weight added. Bogie could be using a 12.5 ounce racket after they customize it. You simply don't know.

Availability of any material is dependent on who is willing to pay for it. There are pros still using old layups because they are worth enough to the manufacturer to keep them happy. As an example, Dunlop kept Tommy Haas in a paint job they didn't manufacture for three/four years because he was of the belief that he would injure himself if he changed.

pmerk34
08-05-2008, 08:19 AM
Sorry what? :shock:

Wilson K Factor KSix-One 95 (18x20) Racquet

sureshs
08-05-2008, 08:33 AM
How about having the big brains at Wilson work over-time and figure out a way to increase the sweetspot of the K90 without appreciably altering the weight, swing-weight, and balance? There's an idea.

Can't be done. O ports can't be used. Power holes are not enough.

NoBadMojo
08-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Also, weights and balances continue to shift to lighter and more toward the head of the frame as the game moves further away from the net.

i see you've been following my thread from a while ago about becker11Light customization..

consistency wins
08-05-2008, 01:01 PM

Which is exactly my point.

consistency wins
08-05-2008, 01:04 PM

Wow--I could not agree with you more. A stick that suits one's game and proper strings as well only work for a player if the player puts the stick to good use. I too, was once one of those that changed rackets monthly in hopes of the 'holy grail'....found out I just had to work harder and practice in different ways...

pmerk34
08-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Which is exactly my point.

I do not think Roger would agree that he is doing just fine at all. He needs a new stick.

consistency wins
08-05-2008, 01:06 PM

So you think Roger is the only bloke on tour having difficulty with Karlovic's serve and Rafa's spin? So EVERYONE else on the tour is doing okay with these two factors if they are using MP or larger sticks?

consistency wins
08-05-2008, 01:07 PM

Sorry--should have read prior to quoting ahead of you...you said it well.

pmerk34
08-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Wow--I could not agree with you more. A stick that suits one's game and proper strings as well only work for a player if the player puts the stick to good use. I too, was once one of those that changed rackets monthly in hopes of the 'holy grail'....found out I just had to work harder and practice in different ways...

No one is saying Roger should change every month. It's time now though after a number of years with those 90 inch heads to get a new more competitive frame.

consistency wins
08-05-2008, 01:10 PM

Outside of earlier this year--when have you EVER seen Roger down and tired, cramping, calling the trainer and out of gas in a five-setter? If you can't see that his timing, footwork, agility and endurance rank him among the most physically fit and dedicated in the sport, then you need to re-visit your optometrist.

sureshs
08-05-2008, 01:11 PM
So you think Roger is the only bloke on tour having difficulty with Karlovic's serve and Rafa's spin? So EVERYONE else on the tour is doing okay with these two factors if they are using MP or larger sticks?

We are not comparing Roger with everyone else. We are trying to give him an edge to help him get back to his old level in spite of advancing age and increasing competition.

consistency wins
08-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Perhaps. But there is also an old adage: "Dance with the one what brung 'ya" ;)

CC

OOOOOOH, I like that one....:twisted:

consistency wins
08-05-2008, 01:23 PM
We are not comparing Roger with everyone else. We are trying to give him an edge to help him get back to his old level in spite of advancing age and increasing competition.

Well, I'm not sure any of this advice here will fall on the Fed's ears or laptop, but my thoughts/opinions are that his problems right now are due to a lack of confidence that was brought on by a long bout of illness with mono. But, that's just my two pennies. It will take him winning the US Open this year to get that back and silence the critics...

BreakPoint
08-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Fed should switch because his level of play has dropped and that frame uses demands near perfection when playing against the cream of the crop.
Well, I guess it's a good thing that Federer is damn near perfect then or at least as perfect as one can be in tennis. :)

Please stop making judgements on what Federer can and cannot do with a K90 based upon what YOU can and cannot do with the same racquet. Don't you think that's pretty absurd given the massive differences in your levels of play?

consistency wins
08-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Well, I guess it's a good thing that Federer is damn near perfect then or at least as perfect as one can be in tennis. :)

Please stop making judgements on what Federer can and cannot do with a K90 based upon what YOU can and cannot do with the same racquet. Don't you think that's pretty absurd given the massive differences in your levels of play?

The problem is that not many people put faith in training and think that since a stick changed helped them change their game as a 3.0, it should do it for the top 7.0 player in the world....

pmerk34
08-05-2008, 01:34 PM

OF course it is but Federer isn't playing us or anyone near our level. He is playing the best and and a better racquet could help him regain his edge.

His sliced backhand at Wimbledon as anyone who paid attention and as Fed Stolle said on radio the next day was WEAK. It had nothing on it. Perhaps a frame with a bigger sweetspot would help him have more confidence to hit it.

johann-681312
08-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Federer is clearly struggling a bit of late, but it can hardly
be blamed on his racquet.

Rabbit
08-05-2008, 03:30 PM
i see you've been following my thread from a while ago about becker11Light customization..

No, I haven't. It's fairly common knowledge that baseliners, particularly the Spaniards, prefer lighter head heavy balanced frames.

I have zero interest in the Becker 11 Light and I don't find it a salvagable product.

NoBadMojo
08-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Just my two cents: I bought one of the Bogomolov rackets from Mojo. I've also talked to Warren Bosworth himself about the racket.

I have PT630's and PT57A's w/ Radical Flexpoint paintjobs. It is neither, and no disrespect intended, but I posted before that the layup is pro-only TGK223.2-B1. The racket has been customized by Bosworth, including having weight added. It also has a hand-sanded buttcap w/ very little flare on the butt-end.

It moves very quickly for a head-heavy racket - actually something I would like to duplicate w/ other rackets if possible; feels quite light on the handle end. It is a bit stiff for my tastes, and definitely not as stable as a Pro Tour, w/ or without CAPS. It doesn't FEEL to me that there is TWARON in the layup, but I don't know for sure.

Want to know something funny? I called Roman yesterday to inquire about having wilson/prince handle pallets fitted to one of my PT57A's and he had no idea which racket I was talking about (asked me if I was referring to pallet #'s) - he also went so far as to lecture me about people being misguided w/ reference to pros using rackets from different factories - that all Head frames come from China and they only tweak them in Austria. Believe me, I felt like I was in the twilight zone. I don't think he was being straight-up with me and it left such a bad taste in my mouth, I will probably not do business w/ RPNY.

Just a few weeks ago, I think, Eph reported that Roman told him Federer's frames use a softer layup than retail versions.

That was my take on the way this frame plays. it def doesnt play like an older school racquet...it's firmer than that. and more powerful, especially for its light weight. ...have no idea how he got that frame to swing like that...the feel and flex really wasnt special or different than other NEW racquets, but the way they move sure was. very little time in the air for groundies with this bat. frame was tweaked for max MOI i would suspect.

I think Bosworth is very much underestimated...and he's a gentlerman. he does racquets for many many pro players. Usually flat fees them under contract (for a significant amount of money)..this covers tweaking the setup and doing 100frames as I understand it. so not only was this frame a custom Head job (excuse the pun), but also further customized by Bosworth

Understand that Federers frame is also easier to swing than the retail version with a sw around the 325 mark..now he just needs to switch to something with a little more sweetzone real estate...his racquet is light enough and powerful enough w. the gut hybrid at jumpy tension <my attempt to get the thread back on topic> ;)

thanks for the update

pmerk34
08-05-2008, 05:38 PM
The problem is that not many people put faith in training and think that since a stick changed helped them change their game as a 3.0, it should do it for the top 7.0 player in the world....

how much more can Federer possibly train?? Geez. His racquet needs to change not him

pmerk34
08-05-2008, 05:48 PM
That was my take on the way this frame plays. it def doesnt play like an older school racquet...it's firmer than that. and more powerful, especially for its light weight. ...have no idea how he got that frame to swing like that...the feel and flex really wasnt special or different than other NEW racquets, but the way they move sure was. very little time in the air for groundies with this bat. frame was tweaked for max MOI i would suspect.

I think Bosworth is very much underestimated...and he's a gentlerman. he does racquets for many many pro players. Usually flat fees them under contract (for a significant amount of money)..this covers tweaking the setup and doing 100frames as I understand it. so not only was this frame a custom Head job (excuse the pun), but also further customized by Bosworth

Understand that Federers frame is also easier to swing than the retail version with a sw around the 325 mark..now he just needs to switch to something with a little more sweetzone real estate...his racquet is light enough and powerful enough w. the gut hybrid at jumpy tension <my attempt to get the thread back on topic> ;)

thanks for the update

Correct no one is suggesting Fed switch to a Pure drive...

drakulie
08-05-2008, 06:35 PM

Could you back this up, or is it another one of your theroies?? (like the one where you claimed the bryan bothers frames were painted to look like they had o-ports)

samster
08-05-2008, 06:59 PM

thanks for the update

How do you know this information? You got proof? Where is the proof? :confused:

consistency wins
08-05-2008, 07:09 PM

thanks for the update

So you have played with or swung Roger's sticks? I'm just curious how you know it swings differently than the retail version?

BreakPoint
08-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Understand that Federers frame is also easier to swing than the retail version with a sw around the 325 mark..
If that's true then that probably means Federer is using the Asian version of the K90. No wonder he can generate such high racquet head speed as the Asian version is much easier to swing than the US version.

The Asian version is also slightly flexier than the US version, which would corroborate what Roman Prokes claimed about Federer's layup.

samster
08-06-2008, 05:45 AM
Let's stick to the topic. Roger needs a new racquet.

This is completely relevant. May be his SW of 325, per NBMJ, is too low?

Rabbit
08-06-2008, 06:14 AM
Let's stick to the topic. Roger needs a new racquet.

First off, sticking to the topic was what I was doing. It's OK to speculate, we all do it, but I have a problem with passing speculation off as fact.

I think it overly presumptuous to even suggest to a guy who's won 11 Grand Slam titles before the age of 26 that he should change frames. IMO, the problem ain't Federer's gear. The problem, plain and simple, is that Federer is having a slump.

It's overdue. No one, in the history of tennis, has maintained the level that Federer has for the length of time Federer has. He has simply made the rest of the field look inadequate.

The guy won 3/4 Grand Slams two years in a row, something that's never been done in Open tennis.

He's been in the finals of every Grand Slam except this year's Aussie since 2005.

He lost this year's Wimbledon final by the slimmest of margins.

He's amassed his 11 Grand Slam titles since Wimbledon 2003.

I think it's disingenuous and shows an amazing lack of perspective to say things like the game has passed him by and he's weak.

Roger Federer has proved one thing and one thing only: he's human. The man's in a slump. He's 26 going on 27. Very few pros win Grand Slams after the age of 26. I think Roger Federer will win more Grand Slams. I think Roger Federer will break Pete Sampras' Grand Slam record. Roger Federer is one of the guys who will respond positively to everyone writing him off.

ART ART
08-06-2008, 06:49 AM
Update: Roger is training with a 95" frame(painted all black)... and switching back to the K90" very often.
He just can't decide if he goes or not to a racket change before the US Open.

Let's wait and see...

Satch
08-06-2008, 07:06 AM
Update: Roger is training with a 95" frame(painted all black)... and switching back to the K90" very often.

Let's wait and see...

oh yeah, can you tell me what Rogers nickname on this forum is :) ?

Andyk028
08-06-2008, 07:41 AM

Let's wait and see...

Wheres the proof?

Satch
08-06-2008, 08:01 AM
Can anyone here play to Roger's level? Ok then, so how do you know a stick change would be of benifit to him?

look it's obvious that Fed doesn’t have solution to his game right now, and as you can see the pressure on him to change his racquet is huge, even on his official web site, so i think that Fed will at least try it this time... who knows, he is hungry for winning so maybe we will see him with new stick

consistency wins
08-06-2008, 08:22 AM

Let's wait and see...

Without pics, it didn't happen....

ShooterMcMarco
08-06-2008, 10:56 AM
First off, sticking to the topic was what I was doing. It's OK to speculate, we all do it, but I have a problem with passing speculation off as fact.

I think it overly presumptuous to even suggest to a guy who's won 11 Grand Slam titles before the age of 26 that he should change frames. IMO, the problem ain't Federer's gear. The problem, plain and simple, is that Federer is having a slump.

It's overdue. No one, in the history of tennis, has maintained the level that Federer has for the length of time Federer has. He has simply made the rest of the field look inadequate.

The guy won 3/4 Grand Slams two years in a row, something that's never been done in Open tennis.

He's been in the finals of every Grand Slam except this year's Aussie since 2005.

He lost this year's Wimbledon final by the slimmest of margins.

He's amassed his 11 Grand Slam titles since Wimbledon 2003.

I think it's disingenuous and shows an amazing lack of perspective to say things like the game has passed him by and he's weak.

Roger Federer has proved one thing and one thing only: he's human. The man's in a slump. He's 26 going on 27. Very few pros win Grand Slams after the age of 26. I think Roger Federer will win more Grand Slams. I think Roger Federer will break Pete Sampras' Grand Slam record. Roger Federer is one of the guys who will respond positively to everyone writing him off.

Yes, yes, and yes. Thank you. Somehow people have a experienced slight amnesia this year by forgetting all of his accomplishments with his "inadequate frame size."

BreakPoint
08-06-2008, 02:14 PM

Let's wait and see...

Wheres the proof?
I just checked Getty Images. There are about 40 pics of Federer practicing in Beijing and in ALL of them, he is still using his K90.

BounceHitBounceHit
08-06-2008, 02:55 PM
I just checked Getty Images. There are about 40 pics of Federer practicing in Beijing and in ALL of them, he is still using his K90.

How shocking! :) :twisted:

Just curious BP. I read in one of your early posts in this thread something to the effect of 'as Roman Prokes had said about Fed's layup'. Were there any specific, published comments from RP or just what people says he's told them by phone, etc?

I ask b/c I respect those guys. They did an unbelieveable job customizing my BB 11 Mid and likewise with the J90.

Best,

CC

BounceHitBounceHit
08-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Food for Thought: It is precisely because Fed is highly unlikey to blame his equipment (or the court, or the wind, or the sun, or the heat, or the humidity, or the noise, or the type of food at the hotel, etc, etc, etc) for his recent (relatively) poorer play that I predict he will emerge from this slump and win MULTIPLE more Grand Slam titles. ;)

In short, his is an 'internal locus of control', and all the greats (at anything) think that way.

CC

BreakPoint
08-06-2008, 03:21 PM
How shocking! :) :twisted:

Just curious BP. I read in one of your early posts in this thread something to the effect of 'as Roman Prokes had said about Fed's layup'. Were there any specific, published comments from RP or just what people says he's told them by phone, etc?

I ask b/c I respect those guys. They did an unbelieveable job customizing my BB 11 Mid and likewise with the J90.

Best,

CC
Hi Craig,

I was just going by what was posted by someone here who visted RPNY and mentioned what Roman told him about Federer's frame.

Here's that post:

So, i went to RPNY to have some work done to my racquets. Roman was able to make them equal, within one gram of each other. He then put on "pro-stock" Wilson grips (they felt a bit better than the regular stuff that isn't available elsewhere, we'll see how it holds up with an overgrip on it.

We talked a bit about tennis, and I got to see and touch (and swing) a few of the pros. I enjoyed the perfect grips; I think that will be what I do next (he suggested I play with the lead tape and see if I like the changes first).

I also got to learn a bit about the player's personalities, and learned that Federer's racquet is NOT Sampras'; he actually uses the K61 90 EXCEPT his is a bit softer than the retail version; that modification is done in the graphite and is his racquet only. I found that interesting.

Nice guy, and it was nice to talk to him in Czech for a bit. Worth the money for the expertise alone. Hardest part was getting there, but it is in midtown, officially.

From this thread: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=2523128

nickynu
08-06-2008, 03:21 PM
OF course it is but Federer isn't playing us or anyone near our level. He is playing the best and and a better racquet could help him regain his edge.

His sliced backhand at Wimbledon as anyone who paid attention and as Fed Stolle said on radio the next day was WEAK. It had nothing on it. Perhaps a frame with a bigger sweetspot would help him have more confidence to hit it.

A better racket???? A bigger sweetspot ??????

I laughed so hard when I saw these comments, are you new to tennis

what you honestly think federer cant hit the ball in the sweetspot? What is a better racket in your opinion - a 125 Sq inch granny stick, oh dear!

Pro_Tour_630
08-06-2008, 04:11 PM
To all, I think Federer should switch to the PT630 Mold:) especially if he wants to win the French. It is the UNIVERSAL MOLD among Pros. All the latest copycats proves my point.

BounceHitBounceHit
08-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Hi Craig,

I was just going by what was posted by someone here who visted RPNY and mentioned what Roman told him about Federer's frame.

Here's that post:

From this thread: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=2523128

Thanks. Very interesting. I too wonder if it is an AK90. CC

Madhoshi22
08-07-2008, 01:27 PM

Let's wait and see...

http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fedcl4.jpg

http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fed2io4.jpg

I don't know about you guys, but these, and pretty much all the pictures I've seen taken of him in Beijing show him playing with his normal K90...

Madhoshi22
08-07-2008, 01:28 PM
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3923/fed2io4.th.jpg (http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fed2io4.jpg)

Satch
08-07-2008, 03:20 PM
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3923/fed2io4.th.jpg (http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fed2io4.jpg)

you see that's the same like this one http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/6e/fullj.7a62c021a6a1e45dee88a5e539b461cc/7a62c021a6a1e45dee88a5e539b461cc-getty-81973004me013_olympics_prev.jpg

90sqin does look big...

consistency wins
08-07-2008, 08:07 PM
you see that's the same like this one http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/6e/fullj.7a62c021a6a1e45dee88a5e539b461cc/7a62c021a6a1e45dee88a5e539b461cc-getty-81973004me013_olympics_prev.jpg

90sqin does look big...

If you have ever strung that stick, you know it is not as small as you would think. The difference between that and an m-fil 200 is only 5 sq in spread around a large area. The difference is minuscule.

zidane339
08-07-2008, 11:29 PM
If you have ever strung that stick, you know it is not as small as you would think. The difference between that and an m-fil 200 is only 5 sq in spread around a large area. The difference is minuscule.

Its all relative. Its like saying 1 second is nothing, but one second is what seperates an Olympic 100m sprinter to just a good sprinter.

consistency wins
08-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Its all relative. Its like saying 1 second is nothing, but one second is what seperates an Olympic 100m sprinter to just a good sprinter.

No, that would be .1 of a second. Thanks for playing.

slice bh compliment
08-08-2008, 07:05 AM
Kind of a radical equipment change. He's clearly looking for more control.

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/SB-Federer-R.jpg

Hope it does not lead to an injuWii!

BTW, I got that off the Onion Sports page.

Madhoshi
08-08-2008, 07:32 AM

Hah, that's really good lol

pmerk34
08-08-2008, 07:42 AM
A better racket???? A bigger sweetspot ??????

I laughed so hard when I saw these comments, are you new to tennis

what you honestly think federer cant hit the ball in the sweetspot? What is a better racket in your opinion - a 125 Sq inch granny stick, oh dear!

Are you new to this thread? Read back people are sugesting he switch to mid plus 95-100SQ inches for various reasons. No one said anything about an OS frame like 125 sq inches. Learn to read before you try and hand out a dis.

pmerk34
08-08-2008, 07:44 AM

uh no you could be a good sprinter and be 1 sec behind the olympic gys. .1 second is what seperates them not you. Thanks for playing.

Kaptain Karl
08-08-2008, 07:45 AM
http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/SB-Federer-R.jpgNot a good job of using PS.

Hope it does not lead to an injuWii!You've just been waiting for an opportunity to use that pun, haven't you? (It was clever.)

- KK

slice bh compliment
08-08-2008, 08:40 AM
^Hhahaha, thanks. We'll credit some intern at the Onion for the weak photoshop job. I'm still laughing about it. When I saw it, I couldn't help but think it was one of you guys here.

Glad you liked the pun, But I cannot take credit. Got it from this pre-college hipster I hit with whose dad got tennis elbow from the Wii. So every time we see him at the club's snack bar watching instead of playing, we ask him about his poor widdle injuWii.

EDIT:
And yes, you'we a hundwed puwcent wight, I had been waiting to dwop it in casual convewsation.

Satch
08-08-2008, 11:53 AM

i have said that it does look big, you misunderstand it...

Oui, c'est moi.
08-08-2008, 12:02 PM

That picture - love it.

I could probably beat him at Wii Tennis!

It's good you said where you got it from, i was about to give you full credit.

zidane339
08-09-2008, 09:20 PM

Hmmm, I used the comparison of the good high school sprinters in the 100m that run about high 10s low 11s, whilst Olympic runners run in the low tens high nines.

Thanks for playing?

consistency wins
08-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Hmmm, I used the comparison of the good high school sprinters in the 100m that run about high 10s low 11s, whilst Olympic runners run in the low tens high nines.

Thanks for playing?

As in I am saying Roger does not need to change sticks and you are trying to turn it into the Olympics and the 100m. We are talking about Roger and his racket and lack of the need to change.

zidane339
08-10-2008, 12:11 AM
As in I am saying Roger does not need to change sticks and you are trying to turn it into the Olympics and the 100m. We are talking about Roger and his racket and lack of the need to change.

Wow, I think you missed the complete point of my original comment. I was explaining the concept of relativity, but I guess it went over your head. Its ok.No need to get negative.

joke-a-vich
08-10-2008, 12:12 AM
If your game performance suddenly drops, do you immediately start to blame your equipment that served you well for ~10 years???

Just think about what are you saying.
What are these theories based on?- Did everyone started to play better all of a sudden or does Fed have a bad year (i think that the one who doesn't know which one is more likely to be true is a ******)
Give the man a break what do you except that he plays 20 years on the tour flawless?
I thik that he knows what's wrong and if it was the racket he would change it.

i totally agree. i think it is just mind boggling that people who, for the most part are rec. players and people who will never go pro, think they know whats right for the man who is arguebly the GOAT.

i find it so funny, and am in disbelief that so many people are saying HE MUST OR ELSE when roger has done just fine with what he has played with his entire carrer.

The problem i think is that he is too good. he builds him self up so high that people think he is just a tennis phenom who can never make a mistake, and when he does people go into chaos. guess what everybody? HE IS HUMAN! he is 27, he is at that peeking age; as much as alot of people would like it, he is not going to be NO.1 forever.

so much of tennis is feel. winning 12slams with the 90 sqin.; I think he has found the racquet that feels the best for him. If i was him i would not switch. its what plays best for him. i switched to the K90 from a 100 sqin. stick, now according to about half of you my game should have drastically suffered, but to the contrarey, my game improved a lot.

IMO, i think fed should stick with what works for him, and that is the 90 sqin head size. so he is having an off year, its to be expected. he is only human...

Rabbit
08-10-2008, 06:33 AM

I personally think Federer would do much better with a bigger remote.

pmerk34
08-10-2008, 07:21 AM
i totally agree. i think it is just mind boggling that people who, for the most part are rec. players and people who will never go pro, think they know whats right for the man who is arguebly the GOAT.

i find it so funny, and am in disbelief that so many people are saying HE MUST OR ELSE when roger has done just fine with what he has played with his entire carrer.

The problem i think is that he is too good. he builds him self up so high that people think he is just a tennis phenom who can never make a mistake, and when he does people go into chaos. guess what everybody? HE IS HUMAN! he is 27, he is at that peeking age; as much as alot of people would like it, he is not going to be NO.1 forever.

so much of tennis is feel. winning 12slams with the 90 sqin.; I think he has found the racquet that feels the best for him. If i was him i would not switch. its what plays best for him. i switched to the K90 from a 100 sqin. stick, now according to about half of you my game should have drastically suffered, but to the contrarey, my game improved a lot.

IMO, i think fed should stick with what works for him, and that is the 90 sqin head size. so he is having an off year, its to be expected. he is only human...

Your competition isn't the best in the world all playing with mid pluses while Roger shanks and hits long with his K90. What is relevant here is that Rogers level has dropped, NADAL is now the best and it would serve Roger well to have a frame that helps him out a bit more aka 95 sq inches.

BounceHitBounceHit
08-10-2008, 07:58 AM
Your competition isn't the best in the world all playing with mid pluses while Roger shanks and hits long with his K90. What is relevant here is that Rogers level has dropped, NADAL is now the best and it would serve Roger well to have a frame that helps him out a bit more aka 95 sq inches.

Respectfully, you seem very invested in the idea that a 95 si frame would somehow 'suit' FedEx better, or improve his level of play. I'm not sure where that concept comes from to begin with?

Clearly different players have different needs, and his are not yours (or mine, or Nadal's).

I mean no ill, but I simply can't understand why folks would believe that Roger Federer, arguably the best tennis player EVER, would not know what frame he needs to use on a tennis court? :confused:

Best, CC

NoBadMojo
08-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Respectfully, you seem very invested in the idea that a 95 si frame would somehow 'suit' FedEx better, or improve his level of play. I'm not sure where that concept comes from to begin with?

Clearly different players have different needs, and his are not yours (or mine, or Nadal's).

I mean no ill, but I simply can't understand why folks would believe that Roger Federer, arguably the best tennis player EVER, would not know what frame he needs to use on a tennis court? :confused:

Best, CC

Lots of people who know tennis think a racquet w. more real estate could help him. the concept is a simple one..Fed gives up too many points because of misshits and shanks and can no longer expect to be able to do this and expect to win like he did before. is he aware of this? of course he is.

Tennis is not played in a vacuum...sit out 6 months w. injury and get passed by....not have enough stringbed real estate and it catches up..the game is constantly changing...a concept that is lost on many here who think it is still 1990 and that tennis is played like it was in 1990..or even 2000.

Richie Rich
08-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Lots of people who know tennis think a racquet w. more real estate could help him. the concept is a simple one..Fed gives up too many points because of misshits and shanks and can no longer expect to be able to do this and expect to win like he did before. is he aware of this? of course he is.

Tennis is not played in a vacuum...sit out 6 months w. injury and get passed by....not have enough stringbed real estate and it catches up..the game is constantly changing...a concept that is lost on many here who think it is still 1990 and that tennis is played like it was in 1990..or even 2000.

fair enough. a diff racquet may help him. but with so much dependent on confidence a racquet change may do more harm than good.

it's a tough one. do you go with the racquet that got you to where you are (and know how you are going to play with it) or do you take a shot at something new?

reminds me of safin's change to the dunlop frame. i know he is not in the same situation as fed and changed for the $ but i'm sure there was months of testing/playing/tweaking and he just couldn't make the change - mentally or whatever other reason

i guess the only way is to see what happens. if fed does not break pete's record there will be second guessing his racquet choice, no question. but that's the future and none of know what is going to happen

drakulie
08-10-2008, 09:01 AM

I guess Federer was too busy between 2003-to present, winning twelve slams to read that memo you wrote it in the 90's. Did you "cc", Mirka to CYA when you wrote that memo??

drakulie
08-10-2008, 09:05 AM

Uhmmmmm, last time I checked>>> guys with 95 square inch frames weren't beating Nadal either, and aren't the "best".... Wouldn't it then be better if Fed and the rest of the ATP switched to 110 sq inch frames???

NoBadMojo
08-10-2008, 09:11 AM
fair enough. a diff racquet may help him. but with so much dependent on confidence a racquet change may do more harm than good.

it's a tough one. do you go with the racquet that got you to where you are (and know how you are going to play with it) or do you take a shot at something new?

reminds me of safin's change to the dunlop frame. i know he is not in the same situation as fed and changed for the $ but i'm sure there was months of testing/playing/tweaking and he just couldn't make the change - mentally or whatever other reason

i guess the only way is to see what happens. if fed does not break pete's record there will be second guessing his racquet choice, no question. but that's the future and none of know what is going to happen

right...he has obviously had success with his present gear and taking the time to adjust to a new racquet could backfire...or not. i dont think it would, and he is gonna have lots more trouble winning Majors anyway. it's a difficult decision for a top player. I also think he wants very badly to win the French to help cement his GOAT status if he ever ties Samps in Majors, and knows to do that he must likely beat Nadal..that aint gonna happen the way things are now unless Nadal goes down w. injury

said earlier that i think fed will play his present frame through the USOpen, but expect him to appear Downunder with something w. a larger sweetzone. This will cause multiple bleeding from the ears here on the forum. i also said last year that Fed would either win no majors this year or 1 major this year.

nice to have some reasoned discourse with someone from the forum...increasingly rare and appreciated

drakulie
08-10-2008, 09:35 AM
If he wants to win the french to tie him with Sampras, then perhaps he should play with the Frame that Courier won it with 2 years in a row during the sampras era??

Rabbit
08-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Recent Racket Changes

Juan Carlos Ferrero - From Prince to Head, back to Prince
James Blake - tried Prince, back to Dunlop
Ivan Ljubicic - from Babolat to Head, game in toilet
Marat Safin - to Dunlop, back to Head
Guillermo Corria - from Prince to Head to Babolat to the toilet
Mardy Fish - from Slazenger to Wilson from 20s to 40s
Dimitri Tursonov - from Head to Wilson - from 20s to 30s
Lleyton Hewitt - from 90 to 95 (Yonex), back to 90
David Nalbandian - from Prince to Yonex, game improved
If anyone can cite an example where a guy began to do better, please do.

pmerk34
08-10-2008, 11:26 AM
If he wants to win the french to tie him with Sampras, then perhaps he should play with the Frame that Courier won it with 2 years in a row during the sampras era??

That era did not have poly strings. The game has changed. They all use poly now with wicked spin. The PS 85 is a relic at least the K90 isn't a relic but it's becoming one as Fed has done nothing outside of the majors this year that you all obsess over.

NoBadMojo
08-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Recent Racket Changes

If anyone can cite an example where a guy began to do better, please do.

Roger Federer from 85 to 90 <or so> headsize....won a bunch of majors

drakulie
08-10-2008, 11:57 AM
That era did not have poly strings. The game has changed. They all use poly now with wicked spin.

Poly strings have been around for 20+ years. Go learn something. As for spin>>>> name me one current pro who hits a serve with 5000+ rpms of spin like Sampras did withe a "relic" as you state, and natural gut????

drakulie
08-10-2008, 11:59 AM

He said "recent", and you quoted it so you should be aware of his question. Fed has been using the same frame for well over 5+ years.

Andres
08-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Btw, NBM, I'll be switching to a Volkl real soon ;)
Cuban Pete, I know you hate Volkls! but hey, what can I do? :p

I was tempted by the dark side!

BreakPoint
08-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Huh? If he's already hitting long with a 90, don't you think he would be hitting the back fence with a MidPlus? :confused:

pmerk34
08-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Poly strings have been around for 20+ years. Go learn something. As for spin>>>> name me one current pro who hits a serve with 5000+ rpms of spin like Sampras did withe a "relic" as you state, and natural gut????

Poly strings are now dominant on tour. 20 years ago natural gut was the rage on tour. Cell phones were probably around 20 years ago too but they had no impact in the way we communicated in 1988 so the fact that polys were around then too but hardly used and without frames to suit them means nothing.

Are you you unaware of how the take over of poly strings has changed pro tennis? As for that relic PS 85 frame if it were going to suit the game the way it's played now who come not one top 10 male pro uses it? Other than this board where is the demand for for a PS 6.0 85? Roger needs to switch look at his overall record this year (not just the slams which this board obsesses over).

pmerk34
08-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Huh? If he's already hitting long with a 90, don't you think he would be hitting the back fence with a MidPlus? :confused:

Maybe but maybe he would change his setup, can't hurt to try based on this years record with losses to Mardy Fish, Murray, Roddick et al and that awful effort at the French Final. Nadal isn't THAT Good.

BreakPoint
08-10-2008, 12:21 PM
That era did not have poly strings. The game has changed. They all use poly now with wicked spin. The PS 85 is a relic at least the K90 isn't a relic but it's becoming one as Fed has done nothing outside of the majors this year that you all obsess over.
So the reason Federer hasn't won a major this year is because of his racquet but in all the years that he won 3 majors it was NOT because of his racquet? OK, I see. :-?

pmerk34
08-10-2008, 12:23 PM
So the reason Federer hasn't won a major this year is because of his racquet but in all the years that he won 3 majors it was NOT because of his racquet? OK, I see. :-?

Fed can't find the sweetspot enough anymore. Enough with the framed balls in key points. What he did in the past is irrelevant. We are talking about his subpar 2008 and going forward.

And again more obssession with majors. HE's WON VIRTUALLY NOTHING this year at any tourney.

BreakPoint
08-10-2008, 12:24 PM
More real estate maening 5-10 more sq inches. Like the rest of the tour uses.
And other than Nadal, how many Grand Slams have "the rest of the tour" been winning for the past 5 years?

BTW, one guy that did win one in that time period - Safin - actually uses a racquet even smaller than Federer's - the Prestige Mid, which is 89.5 sq. in.

BreakPoint
08-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Fed can't find the sweetspot enough anymore. Enough with the framed balls in key points. What he did in the past is irrelevant. We are talking about his subpar 2008 and going forward.
Doesn't that have more to do with his illness, his footwork, and his mental state than his racquet?

pmerk34
08-10-2008, 12:26 PM
And other than Nadal, how many Grand Slams have "the rest of the tour" been winning for the past 5 years?

BTW, one guy that did win one in that time period - Safin - actually uses a racquet even smaller than Federer's - the Prestige Mid, which is 89.5 sq. in.

You guys love the past. No is saying fed shouldn't have used his frame then. We are talking now going forward.

BreakPoint
08-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Pete Sampras from 85 to 85 headsize (no change)...won even more majors than Federer.

There's also no proof that Federer wouldn't have still won 12 GS's if he had stuck with his 85. I mean he did beat the greatest grass court player of all time at Wimbledon with it, and there is a precedent of someone winning 14 GS's with the same racquet.

pmerk34
08-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Pete Sampras from 85 to 85 headsize (no change)...won even more majors than Federer.

There's also no proof that Federer wouldn't have still won 12 GS's if he had stuck with his 85. I mean he did beat the greatest grass court player of all time at Wimbledon with it, and there is a precedent of someone winning 14 GS's with the same racquet.

Fed is 41-11 this year and can't stop shanking. He has losses to players he's owned in the past. He has 2 titles. Time to face the truth and get a new stick.

drakulie
08-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Poly strings are now dominant on tour. 20 years ago natural gut was the rage on tour. Cell phones were probably around 20 years ago too but they had no impact in the way we communicated in 1988 so the fact that polys were around then too but hardly used and without frames to suit them means nothing.

And again, name me one pro who hits a serve with over 5000+ rpms of spin with poly strings???

Are you you unaware of how the take over of poly strings has changed pro tennis? As for that relic PS 85 frame if it were going to suit the game the way it's played now who come not one top 10 male pro uses it?

How come not one pro in the top 10 uses Volkl???, or a 110 square inch frame????

Roger needs to switch look at his overall record this year (not just the slams which this board obsesses over).

Right :roll:

He made the semis of AO, Finals of french and wimbledon (which is better than every other pro on tour using a larger frame), and **HE** needs to switch because a 1.5 player like you, and pseudo coach who checks his students string tension say hes does.

pmerk34
08-10-2008, 02:11 PM
And again, name me one pro who hits a serve with over 5000+ rpms of spin with poly strings???

How come not one pro in the top 10 uses Volkl???, or a 110 square inch frame????

Right :roll:

He made the semis of AO, Finals of french and wimbledon (which is better than every other pro on tour using a larger frame), and **HE** needs to switch because a 1.5 player like you, and pseudo coach who checks his students string tension say hes does.

The PS 6.0 85 is a legendary frame that was used by other greats, the fact that no pro bothers with it anymore means it's time is passed. Volkl and 100 sq inch frames are irrelevant. Fed is having his worst year by far since '04. Losses to Karlovic, Murray, Roddick, Stepanek and Gilles Simon. Only two tour titles. A win % of 80% his lowest since 2002. Time to try a new frame.

drakulie
08-10-2008, 02:19 PM
The PS 6.0 85 is a legendary frame that was used by other greats, the fact that no pro bothers with it anymore means it's time is passed. Volkl and 100 sq inch frames are irrelevant.

How are they irrelevant??? **YOU** made up the criteria than no top 10 pro uses a 90, and I pointed out that no top 10 player uses a 110 or Volkl. Therefore, using your criteria>> it is relevant.

Time to try a new frame.

Which one??

If the frame head size is at fault here as you suggest, then he has to use something larger than what Nadal uses. However, using your criteria, since no top 10 pro uses a 110 inch frame>> he can't use those because they are obsolete. He also can't use an 85 because according to you, it's a "relic".. So which frame should he use???

By the way, you have yet to name me one current pro who hits spin with over 5000+ rpms using poly.

samster
08-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Fed is 41-11 this year and can't stop shanking. He has losses to players he's owned in the past. He has 2 titles. Time to face the truth and get a new stick.

yeah, he should use whatever you use, man. :rolleyes:

drakulie
08-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Great post, rabbit.

I would just love to see one of these guys sit down and tell Federer he needs to switch his frame.

They wouldn't dare to be so obnoxious.