PDA

View Full Version : Isner's Racquet and Strings

tomas9848
08-01-2008, 03:19 AM
What type of racquet does isner use and what kind of strings are on it. Try to include pics :)

babolat141
08-01-2008, 06:09 AM
He uses an extended speedport white with full pro redcode.

s7evin
08-02-2008, 11:34 AM
^ Yeah he uses the Kramer Staff...

matt_ace11
08-03-2008, 08:19 PM
I was in Wisconsin with him the week before Cincy
Extended speedport white 4 5/8 grip with synthetic underneath
18x20
Full redcode at 66-69 pounds
racket is around 13.3 ounces

he says he doesnt really like the racket, but he plays well with it

cujays
08-04-2008, 05:40 AM
i thougtht he was going to stick with the o3 white

Spatula
08-04-2008, 11:08 AM
18x20

Full Redcode @ 66-69lbs? That's freakin tight...I can't say I believe your "facts" on this one.

babolat141
08-04-2008, 12:00 PM
well its true with a lot of pros they hit the ball so hard it probably feels soft to them in like 5 minutes of playing.

bumblebee
08-04-2008, 04:19 PM
he doesn't like it but he plays well with it? couldn't he find another racket that he likes AND plays well with? can't be too hard...

Fedace
08-04-2008, 04:24 PM
He uses an extended speedport white with full pro redcode.

what makes you think it is extended.?? it looks like the regular O3 white to me..

nn
08-04-2008, 04:25 PM
he doesn't like it but he plays well with it? couldn't he find another racket that he likes AND plays well with? can't be too hard...

yeah he need to move away from that prince crap white or whatever..

I am surprise wilson or babolat won't get him on board...

Mansewerz
08-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Isner, with a 4 5/8 grip? No way!

Spatula
08-05-2008, 04:25 AM
Isner, with a 4 5/8 grip? No way!

Are you being sarcastic? He's gotta have huge hands, and I could easily see a 5/8th's plus overgrip....

He can't sign with Bab or Wilson right now, b/c he's signed with Prince. But I could see him play testing other Prince frames...

diredesire
08-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Full Redcode @ 66-69lbs? That's freakin tight...I can't say I believe your "facts" on this one.

Not that hard to believe, in college he was stringing at 60-63 (or so). I strung for his team at the national indoors. I don't think a 3 or so lb hike for the pros is that out of the question.

Spatula
08-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Not that hard to believe, in college he was stringing at 60-63 (or so). I strung for his team at the national indoors. I don't think a 3 or so lb hike for the pros is that out of the question.

I guess your right. Just hard to imagine what that feels like on the elbow/arm....nearly 70lbs on a full poly job....can't really see the benefit of that. I'll regress and say I'm "skeptical" of that statement.

10sbune
08-05-2008, 11:35 AM
On those Speedport racquets the tension needs to be really tight in order to get any control.....I strung mine as tight as possible....eventually that didn't even work for me and I went to another brand racquet.

consistency wins
08-05-2008, 11:47 AM
I guess your right. Just hard to imagine what that feels like on the elbow/arm....nearly 70lbs on a full poly job....can't really see the benefit of that. I'll regress and say I'm "skeptical" of that statement.

Blake strings full lux at like 70 lbs. Haas at 75 lbs or something ridiculous. Sampras is using lux at something around that. What is so unbelievable about those numbers????

AR15
08-05-2008, 11:56 AM
On those Speedport racquets the tension needs to be really tight in order to get any control.....I strung mine as tight as possible....eventually that didn't even work for me and I went to another brand racquet.

Sure it's the racquet?

PBODY99
08-05-2008, 03:34 PM
John used a Prince Diablo prior to the move to the port system. The ports feel much different from the regular Princes. I've had to increase the tension on all of the player I string for who moved from an older Prince frame.

ericsson
08-06-2008, 12:11 AM
Blake strings full lux at like 70 lbs. Haas at 75 lbs or something ridiculous. Sampras is using lux at something around that. What is so unbelievable about those numbers????

Exactly, and if that's not enough Muster and Woodforde used poly at 90+ lbs, Carretero even at 99lbs!!! (polymono)

Spatula
08-06-2008, 04:16 AM

It's just my personal impression of it. No reason to get your panties in a pinch. :)

matt_ace11
08-06-2008, 09:28 AM
he said that he wanted the racket to be longer so he got an extended handle

my facts are dead on. i was with him for 4 days hitting with him and everything else

caesar66
08-06-2008, 09:58 AM
John used a Prince Diablo prior to the move to the port system. The ports feel much different from the regular Princes. I've had to increase the tension on all of the player I string for who moved from an older Prince frame.

John used a triple threat graphite before the ports. I used to watch him at UGA and saw him before and after the switch.

diredesire
08-06-2008, 10:09 AM

I've seen similar transitions, although the tension change was never very much (in the same racquet "lineage" (hornet to 03 HH))

he said that he wanted the racket to be longer so he got an extended handle

my facts are dead on. i was with him for 4 days hitting with him and everything else

This would also make sense as far as a tension increase, IMO.

John used a triple threat graphite before the ports. I used to watch him at UGA and saw him before and after the switch.

Yeah, when I strung for him (which was... 3 years ago?) he was playing TT graphites. I believe they were the MPs. There were two people on his team using the TTs, one was a mid and one was an MP. IIRC they were strung with Tecnifibre Spinfire maxipower. (We have records, but they do not include player name [just school], and string brand)

caesar66
08-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Yeah, when I strung for him (which was... 3 years ago?) he was playing TT graphites. I believe they were the MPs. There were two people on his team using the TTs, one was a mid and one was an MP. IIRC they were strung with Tecnifibre Spinfire maxipower. (We have records, but they do not include player name [just school], and string brand)

Yep, the other guy was Colin Purcell.

martin
08-07-2008, 06:43 AM
18x20

According to TheSnowman this is the racket John Isner uses and to confirm it in an interview with Robin Haase the interviewer asked who had the lightest racket on the tour. Haase answered that it had to be John Isner. He simply couldn't understand how he could play with such a light racket

So we had a Prince event at that golf chain store featuring John Isner.. @ San Jose, CA

He answered questions, he signed autographs, and he hit some serves in the back...

-his racket is 27.25
-around 320 grams
-has lead at 3,9,12 and in the handle
-grip size is 4 5/8; mentioned that his grip is longer than usual
-it's customized by Nate Ferguson (sp?) in Tampa Bay, FL
-going to switch to new prince strings, NEVER mentioned tecnifibre; (even though they were strung in his custom O3 White) apparently Prince Gut mains and a random Prince polyester in the cross.
-listens to country music
-likes the Bobcats (basketball)
-recommends 2/3 carbs and 1/3 protein
-likes flat serve out wide on AD Out
-sponsored by tournagrip (unique)
-said that there is a fine line between the top 50,100, and 300
-new coach after US Open, (from U of Georgia)
-sidelined for two weeks earlier this year because of injury to the foot at the Australian Open
-drinks anything available to him (eg Gatorade, Powerade, Water), no special stuff like Cytomax
-practices normally 2 hours a day
-mentioned that pros don't stretch a lot, he stretches the most compared to other pros which is 15 minutes
-has a wildcard in doubles with Donald Young
-was testing O3 Speedport White
-he's 6'9

That's all I remember right now.. I'll edit if I have something to add.

and (for those that go to this store) one of the stringers at the store (not Ted) doesn't distribute friction when weaving the crosses.. so watch out.

I can't believe I forgot to mention.. he's REALLY REALLY NICE

Fedace
08-07-2008, 06:50 AM
Are you sure he is using the speedports? i thought he was still using the O3 white ?

martin
08-07-2008, 07:11 AM
And Isner has a 16 x 19 string pattern. Not 18x20.

Zach
08-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Are you sure he is using the speedports? i thought he was still using the O3 white ?

It's a Speedport. I saw him playing doubles with Querrey a few weeks ago and it was a Speedport White with his usual pro red code.

matt_ace11
08-07-2008, 04:32 PM
he uses 18x20
he showed me the racket and said he didnt like the 16x19 so he had prince makes it 18x20