PDA

View Full Version : Pro No. 1 FT and lead tape...

Stitch626
02-21-2004, 01:31 PM
Anyone have suggestions as to how i can lead this racket up? It feels too underpowered for such a light racket. (10.4 oz unstrung) also balance is at 12.8 in. could sum1 tell me how many pts HL it is? Because I dont want to change the balance too much.

Stitch626
02-22-2004, 06:03 PM
any ideas anyone?

Craig Sheppard
02-22-2004, 06:25 PM
Stitch,

Your Pro No. 1 FT is 27.4" long, so that makes your racquet 7.2 pts HL. Here's a few suggestions about customization. If you like the balance the way it is, add some lead to the throat. That will affect balance the least and add more weight.

If you feel the racquet twists in your hand or is unstable in a rotational way, try adding lead at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. Of course that will change the balance, so to counteract that add an equal amount of lead to the handle.

If want to add more power, add some stability, and make the racquet more evenly balanced, add weight at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock.

Remember that the 10.4 oz figure is *unstrung* and most weights listed on TW are for strung racquets. You'll be looking around an 11-11.2 oz racquet strung, depending on string. Plus more if you add an overgrip.

-Craig.

Stitch626
02-22-2004, 07:23 PM
will the weight at the throat add any power? Also, if i add weight to the 3n9 or 2n10 o'clock, how much will make it around 4-5 pts. HL?

Craig Sheppard
02-22-2004, 09:37 PM
Stitch,

Yes, generally adding more weight will add more power to the racquet, so no matter where you add it, you should notice some effect--some locations are more advantageous than others of course. Adding lead to the throat will give you more power.

Before you go and mess with lead tape and weighting, you might want to fiddle with your strings first. You'll see a lot more difference by lowering your string tension a few pounds and changing to a more powerful string than you will by adding a little lead. You will of course get results by adding lead, but getting more power from your strings is easier and make a larger difference.

At what tension do you currently string and what string do you use? A friend of mine who is a pro uses the Pro No. 1 FT and gets plenty of power out of it. He tends to use Gamma Live Wire XP or a hybrid of Natural gut and Live Wire XP. Have you tried natural gut or a powerful multifilament string?

-Craig.

AAAA
02-23-2004, 02:39 AM
Stitch626, The Pro #1 non-FT comes in three weights 285, 320 and 330g and is still being sold with a new paint-job. The FT version comes in 295 and 325g versions. This isn't what you want to hear but for those who can handle the weight the heavier versions are far superior to the light versions.

Stitch626
02-23-2004, 05:12 PM
I could probably handle the weight but from what i hear i cant get the heavier
one in America. =/

Stitch626
02-23-2004, 06:37 PM
Oh as for the string, I don't kno what kind of string it is but i've had it for about 4 monts and i guess i should change it out....as for the tension i think it is 65. It could be more because my coach strings it at maximum tension. I looked around on TW and the luxilon big banger 16L rough looks decent. Supposedly it has power and spin (I've been looking for some extra kick) Tell me if you would recommend this string and around what tension....

Craig Sheppard
02-23-2004, 06:49 PM
Stitch,

Stringing a Pro No. 1 FT at 65 lbs or higher is RIDICULOUS. Of course you're not getting any power out of it! Unless you're 6'5" and weight 220, you won't get any response from the racquet.

You need to tell your coach to string it around 57 or 58 lbs. I use the Fischer Pro Extreme FT, and it has a wide tension range from 50-70lbs. I assume the Pro No. 1 FT has a simliar tension range. Please do yourself a favor *immediately* and get that racquet strung with a nice multifilament string like Gamma Live Wire XP 16 and at a reasonable tension around 57 or 58 lbs. Then make your decision on whether the racquet has enough power before you start playing around with lead tape.

The strings are *just* as important as the frame. You can make a crappy frame play decent and a decent frame play brilliant with the right string and tension selection. Personally I don't like polyster strings. But if you do go polyester, do yourself a favor and get a polyester hybrid. Put poly in the mains and a good synthetic gut in the crosses. An all poly job feels like you're hitting with a sponge.

-Craig.

Stitch626
02-23-2004, 06:58 PM
Will the lower tension give me more spin? Because i get a lot more spin on the serve with a i.prestige MID (not sure on tension or string type) I don't kno if its just me. Thanks for all the help so far though.