PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to string racquets?

paddyslad
01-27-2005, 10:00 PM
I spend a ton on stringing, how bad is it to go DIY and learn to string your own racquets?

Some of the stringers are not too expensive.

How long does it take to get the hang of it?

moosryan
01-28-2005, 03:08 AM
if you get a decent machine, its pretty easy, as long as you follow good instructions. you will get better at it fast though.

BLiND
01-28-2005, 03:21 AM
What do you class as a "decent" machine?

Steve Huff
01-28-2005, 06:09 AM
It's really tough. Almost takes a rocket scientist. That's why guys like me, Gaines, Thomas, Ed, etc are getting to be millionaires stringing rackets.

loubapache
01-28-2005, 06:18 AM
paddyslad:

It is really very easy to do. It is probably very hard to do professional quality string jobs but for ourselves, it is pretty easy.

I got myself an ATS Super Stringer II (lifetime warranty) for $135 plus shipping. I spent about an hour doing the first racket and it was good. Now it is down to 45 minutes and I am happy. I am sure some can do it in 20 minutes but I do not care because I can afford the extra minutes.

Just takes a little bit of patience and common sense.

BLiND
01-28-2005, 07:09 AM
k so what is a good machine... how many clamps?... drop-weight?

joe sch
01-28-2005, 07:29 AM
This post really should be in the stringing section as I beleive you would get tons a reasons why any player should be stringing thier own rackets. Not too hard to learn and you will pay for the stringer and start saving lots of money in the future. The best reason is that you be able to experiment with lots of diff strings and tensions which should really benefit your game. Its also sorta fun, my setup is in my garage and I have a tv/vcr and music in the area so I can always keep myself entertained while I stringup more sticks. I have known lots of players who are very happy with thier $150 klip stringers. If you want a higher quality or faster stringer just post on the stringers or machines section and you will gets lots a great advice. Good luck !

ffrpg
01-28-2005, 01:24 PM
Stringing is fairly easy. It doesn't take that long to get the hang of it. I'd say after about five string jobs you'll pick up on a couple things and will pretty much have it down.