PDA

View Full Version : What's so good about yonex?

jimbo525
08-01-2008, 02:12 PM
What's so good about their racquets? i've only heard of that brand on this forum.

Murray_Maniac
08-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Yea, their not as popular as Babolat, Wilson, Head, and Prince. They just have a certain feel to them. I dont know how to exactly describe it, but its like cushiony and flexy. Personally, I dont like it because Im into more solid stuff.

fuzz nation
08-01-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm under the impression that they really built their legend on their past generations of racquets. I've tried a couple of current ones and they're certainly not as nice for me as the old pair of MP Tour-1 mids that I've been recently noodling with. Most folks here seem to agree though, that they have some of the best quality control in their products.

Return_Ace
08-01-2008, 03:19 PM
The quality of the rackets is also generally nice... Paintjob wise they're a little fragile, but i believe they're also one of the only manufacturers to not outsource to china...

jamauss
08-01-2008, 03:21 PM
as far as I'm concerned, the RDS 001 Mid (after being out only about 3-4 years now) almost has legendary status among certain people who play with it. Their racquets are high quality and seem to have a following just like the PC600, PS 6.0 85, POG, etc.

chicubs
08-01-2008, 03:33 PM
RDX 500 series was/is just awesome. As someone mentioned the cushiony/flexy feel is almost unrivaled. Also, the amount of spin generation was pretty phenomenal.

hoodjem
08-01-2008, 03:43 PM
I tried an RDS 001 MP and it felt pretty good: muted, solid, with nice tough. I was most impressed with the quality of finish--impeccable.

Maybe the Mid is even better?

s7evin
08-01-2008, 03:48 PM
If i am not wrong, they have the best QC on the current market...

tsongaali
08-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Hewitt uses them. That's why they're good.:)

[d]ragon
08-01-2008, 04:59 PM
QC and the large sweetspots (due to the isometric head)

tennisfreak15347
08-01-2008, 05:22 PM
well, their head shapes turn me away from them, but I hear that the quality control is very good. I've tried out my friend's RQ iS 1 Tour before, and it felt very "cushiony"

soggyramen
08-01-2008, 06:44 PM
they have great QC, have a nice feel and are flexy, and are really spin friendly

Ronaldo
08-01-2008, 06:56 PM
What's so good about their racquets? i've only heard of that brand on this forum.

No Speedports, no Metallix, no K-Factor, no trips to the DarkSide, no sore elbows, shoulders, wrists, and hot chicks dig big isometric heads.

ollinger
08-01-2008, 07:14 PM
By what standard or criterion is Yonex "so good?" They don't seem to sell very well compared the the Big 3 (4?), the quality control thing seems to be a myth (1700 series and V-Con series notorious for cracking, low-rent headguards and grips), clueless customer service (I've never gotten a straight answer when I've called to find out about different weights for different grip sizes). Is this a halo effect from the high regard people have for Japanese cars?

Return_Ace
08-01-2008, 07:28 PM
By what standard or criterion is Yonex "so good?" They don't seem to sell very well compared the the Big 3 (4?), the quality control thing seems to be a myth (1700 series and V-Con series notorious for cracking, low-rent headguards and grips), clueless customer service (I've never gotten a straight answer when I've called to find out about different weights for different grip sizes). Is this a halo effect from the high regard people have for Japanese cars?

The VCon series whilst known for having the ceramic crack didn't affect play and when my friend's did, he got a replacement straight away 0.o... did you play with any of them... the vcon 17 mp was sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

obnoxious2
08-01-2008, 07:30 PM
I've hit with a Yonex before and didn't like it at all. I just can't get used to the head shape and the feel is too buttery IMO. It's all based on personal preference for feel and quality (which I would say has one of the best quality controls)

ollinger
08-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Yes, I played with both the 100 and 107 V-Con, found them both very comfortable but too light for my game.

Ronaldo
08-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Too buttery, too flexible, too large sweetspot, too much feel, just too good. WOW!
Only Volkl gets this label

nCode747
08-01-2008, 08:02 PM
They are made in a factory owned by yonex in japan

coolblue123
08-01-2008, 09:27 PM
definitely the Quality of the racquet stands out. I really like the science they put in their racquet. Very practical and effective. (i.e. Isometric frames)
Currently playing with a RDS003.

And just brought a used Bab APDC, can't believe it, the throat cracked already! So disappointed.

Toxicmilk
08-01-2008, 10:08 PM
They are the dominant brand in badminton, but their tennis racquets are great as well.

Rabbit
08-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Yonex makes a superior product. Their frames have always been undersold IMO.

I recently demoed the RQiS 1 Tour Light and it is a great frame. Great feel, great flex.

TennisandMusic
08-01-2008, 11:28 PM
After going through just about every major players racquet/brand I settled on the RDS 002 tour. It is the only racquet I've used that actually gets better to me as I use it, instead of slowly revealing annoying flaws.

Seacoast Stringer
08-02-2008, 04:11 AM

I recently demoed the RQiS 1 Tour Light and it is a great frame. Great feel, great flex.

Yeah, Yonex makes a fine stick IMO. Not a lot of frills and comfortable frames. Definitely under-rated.

netman
08-02-2008, 05:31 AM
Agree with all above. Top quality, consistent performance frame to frame in a series, the right mix of control and power in their player's frames. The Isometric head really does generate a bigger sweetspot that is consistent across its entire area.

Yonex actually puts a lot of technology in their frames. Big thing is they don't toss something out that works just for the sake of marketing. When they have a tech that works they keep incrementally refining it. If you have a lot of their frames you can trace the evolution of the various technologies back 5, 10, sometimes 15 years.

Ronaldo
08-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Agree with all above. Top quality, consistent performance frame to frame in a series, the right mix of control and power in their player's frames. The Isometric head really does generate a bigger sweetspot that is consistent across its entire area.

Yonex actually puts a lot of technology in their frames. Big thing is they don't toss something out that works just for the sake of marketing. When they have a tech that works they keep incrementally refining it. If you have a lot of their frames you can trace the evolution of the various technologies back 5, 10, sometimes 15 years.

Can remember the tubular aluminum YY-7500 racquets from 30 yrs ago that used some of these technologies like a flexible throat combined with a stiffer head. Power, control, and comfort.

Mansewerz
08-02-2008, 09:58 AM
RDX 500 series was/is just awesome. As someone mentioned the cushiony/flexy feel is almost unrivaled. Also, the amount of spin generation was pretty phenomenal.

I love my RDX 500MP. I just need a backup for when I crack strings.

Btw, how was the RDS 001? I heard it was pretty stiff. Was it uncomfortable?

Ronaldo
08-02-2008, 10:24 AM

Was uncomfortable IMHO, firm but now must temper this as the grip was replaced w/leather. Not stiff like a Babolat or Prince O3 racquet. Also tried the RDX300 as a back-up and it is a bit uncomfortable.

wilfreb
08-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Yonex = Japan = quality.

all the other brands use contracting companies to mass produce their rackets in China, with low quality controls and irregularity in the finish of the models specifications.

Yonex rackets are made in Japan, by a manufacturing plant owned and managed entirely by Yonex, so the quality controls and materials are superior.

Wilson, prince and the other major companies spend million is sponsorship thats why they are so famous and cost so much still being mass produced in China.

with Yonex you get superior quality at competitive prices.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z169/wilfreb/tennis/tokyo_fac.jpg
Yonex Co.
Tokyo Factory
Japan

naturallight
08-02-2008, 12:15 PM
I love Yonex, but I wish they made racquets with an 18x20 string pattern.

Ronaldo
08-02-2008, 12:22 PM
I love Yonex, but I wish they made racquets with an 18x20 string pattern.

Have an RDX500HD, high density string pattern, 18 mains.

Babb
08-02-2008, 12:34 PM
I would try a Yonex, but none of their frames seem much to my liking. With them, there's no go-betweens. The racqcuets I might be interested in that they make are only like 9.something ounces... :(

LafayetteHitter
08-02-2008, 12:36 PM

Rabbit could you comment on the power level of the "light"? I liked the feel of the Rqis 1 Tour but found it really lacked pop and didn't seem to hit as heavy a ball as I might have liked.

netman
08-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Can remember the tubular aluminum YY-7500 racquets from 30 yrs ago that used some of these technologies like a flexible throat combined with a stiffer head. Power, control, and comfort.

Yes. I have a YY-7500 hanging on the wall in my office. The Isometric head was already present in the YY-7500.

I've found the flexy throat/stiff head combo to be perfect for me. The key is to have a thicker tip and thinner throat. Yonex's frames that had thinner tips and thicker throats (NSRQ-7) lacked power.

-k-

chicubs
08-02-2008, 01:38 PM

A backup for a RDX 500mp is a RDX 500mp....that being said I did switch over to a Head Microgel Prestige Pro. Needed a little more heft. Do not regret it...but there are days when i miss the yonex feel. I still have 3 MP frames left though so I can switch back I guess.

netman
08-02-2008, 01:51 PM

This myth that the RDS 001 series is way stiffer than the RDX 500 is just that - a myth. I've played the RDS 001 Mid, the MP and the RDX 500 MP. Think about it - why did Yonex discontinue the RDX 500 line so quickly? Because it lacked the power and heft required to stand up to today's big hitters. It was too flexy. So Yonex tweaked the RDX 500 design to come up with the RDS 001 series. Its a better racquet. If you think its too stiff then just string a little looser. I use Topspin strings in both the mains and crosses, strung at 55/52. The added stiffness of the RDS 001 lets the frame do the work so I don't have too. I can swing more relaxed, upping control, and still get good power. BTW, the 2008 model has been tweaked slightly to soften up the frame. Not sure I like it yet, but can tell it is a bit more flexy than last year's.

-k-

Ronaldo
08-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Yes. I have a YY-7500 hanging on the wall in my office. The Isometric head was already present in the YY-7500.

I've found the flexy throat/stiff head combo to be perfect for me. The key is to have a thicker tip and thinner throat. Yonex's frames that had thinner tips and thicker throats (NSRQ-7) lacked power.

-k-

The SRQ 400 and 500 IMHO had the best combo of a flexy throat/stiff head. Balls just exploded with spin and power from those racquets.

TopShelf
08-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Yonex is the only brand I use now.

I bought a RDS001 MP and really enjoyed it, but then fell in love with the RDX500 MP.

I enjoy the soft feel and the spin but my serve is lacking but thats a factor of gaining all the other pro's.

YonexForrealz
08-02-2008, 07:00 PM
i just like it because the sweetspot and there's some pop on the ball and it feels cushiony

Fedace
08-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Yonex sweetspot is HUGE compared to head, wilson or babolat. and control is excellent, much better than other manufacturers with exception of possibly Wilson.

nCode747
08-02-2008, 08:18 PM
how long has the RDX been discontinued

TopShelf
08-03-2008, 06:07 AM
My guess would be about a year?

Ronaldo
08-03-2008, 06:20 AM
My guess would be about a year?

More like at least 2 yrs. www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/RDX5/RDX5Review.html

Rabbit
08-03-2008, 06:54 AM
Rabbit could you comment on the power level of the "light"? I liked the feel of the Rqis 1 Tour but found it really lacked pop and didn't seem to hit as heavy a ball as I might have liked.

Sure, I thought it had adequate power. IMO, it didn't play much like a light. It came through the ball and I was able to hit the ball with as much pace as I needed. This frame as a generous sweet spot and was very very arm friendly IMO.

Hope this helps.