PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Search is over!

Harry24
08-01-2008, 06:09 PM
I have been demoing for the past three months and it includes 17 different racquets from several companies. I just though I'd post a list of them and if anybody had any questions about any racquet please feel free to ask. My #1 and #2 racquet were very, very close.

Numerical Order(Best-Least, my opinion of course):
1.Babolat AeroPro Drive Cortex(standard version)
2 or 3.Babolat Aero Storm Tour
2 or 3.Yonex RQiS 1 Tour
4.Wilson KPro Tour
5.Babolat Pure Storm Tour
6.Head Microgel Xtreme PRo
7.Dunlop Aerogel 100
8.Wilson KSix One Tour 90
9.Head Microgel Prestige Pro
10.Head Microgel Radical Pro
11.Babolat Aero Storm 2008
12.Wilson KBlade 98
13.Wilson KSix One 95 16x18
14.Babolat Pure Storm Ltd.
15.Wilson KBlade Tour
16.Babolat Pure Drive Roddick(because it hurt my arm)
17.Prince Ozone Tour

As you can see a good variety of racquets. It was really fun while it lasted but it was good to finally settle in on one. It took me 2 weeks to decide between APDC and AST. Any recommendations, questions, suggestions on string(for APDC), inquiries or anything else is appreciated.:)

Serve_Ace
08-01-2008, 06:12 PM
grats on finding your favorite racket!
may your tennis future be bright with lots of wins

tennisfreak15347
08-01-2008, 06:19 PM
wow, thats a big list you got there. How much total did it cost for shipping? By the way, where did you get ur APD without cortex? I cant find that anywhere.

Harry24
08-01-2008, 06:23 PM
wow, thats a big list you got there. How much total did it cost for shipping? By the way, where did you get ur APD without cortex? I cant find that anywhere.
Sorry I meant to put APDC but my original racquet before all this demoing was the APD+ and I liked it but i wanted the standard length and liked the cortex.

Harry24
08-01-2008, 06:24 PM
grats on finding your favorite racket!
may your tennis future be bright with lots of wins
Thanks, I sure hope so. But thats what i love about this racquet(APDC)I am really confident and aggresive.

snoopy
08-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Interesting list. It's funny, I just tried the APDC and the Ozone Tour, the racquets that finished 1st and last. I thought both frames had big sweet spots, nice pop, and were spin friendly.

I preferred the APDC. I found the APDC to be pretty comfortable and fun to hit with. Sadly I can't control it because it's a bit too hard for me to swing fast. I would switch to this racquet if I was able to generate more head speed.

The Ozone Tour was ok, I just don't seem to like racquets with O-ports. The stringbed is too jumpy.

I also hit the Radical Pro a while back. Another racquet I liked and would use but I just can't handle its weight and swing it fast enough throughout a match.

RoddickistheMan
08-01-2008, 06:29 PM
i have demoed numerous racquets as well and I too chose the aeropro drive as the best....it really is a great racquet.

Harry24
08-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Interesting list. It's funny, I just tried the APDC and the Ozone Tour, the racquets that finished 1st and last. I thought both frames had big sweet spots, nice pop, and were spin friendly.

I preferred the APDC. I found the APDC to be pretty comfortable and fun to hit with. Sadly I can't control it because it's a bit too hard for me to swing fast. I would switch to this racquet if I was able to generate more head speed.

The Ozone Tour was ok, I just don't seem to like racquets with O-ports. The stringbed is too jumpy.

I also hit the Radical Pro a while back. Another racquet I liked and would use but I just can't handle its weight and swing it fast enough throughout a match.
Wow that sounds sorta like me. I absolutely hated the Ozone Tour I dont know what prince is doing but they need to change. Prince racquets used to be very good.:( The last descent racquet they made was the O3 Midsize and it wasnt that great.

Harry24
08-01-2008, 06:34 PM
i have demoed numerous racquets as well and I too chose the aeropro drive as the best....it really is a great racquet.

I certainly agree no other racquet touched this one really except the Aero Storm Tour.

Passingshot
08-01-2008, 06:48 PM
I certainly agree no other racquet touched this one really except the Aero Storm Tour.

Yep but in the end for me the ast was too heavy. I hope you love your apdc, I sure do love mine lol

RoddickistheMan
08-01-2008, 06:50 PM
its cool...now im waiting for that new babolat red poly to come out so i cant put it in my apdc.

Infl8edEg0
08-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Awww....why's the KBlade Tour #15? I've been demoing for about a month and finally chose that one. The AeroStorm was #2 :D

VikingSamurai
08-01-2008, 07:14 PM

Is that the racket Roddick uses? ;)

monomakh
08-01-2008, 07:31 PM
What is your play style like?

Passingshot
08-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Is that the racket Roddick uses? ;)

Thats silly, roddick doesnt use rackets he just retires duh!

for the record I am still bitter becuase I paid $30 for the night session in cincy just to see him and we all know how that went

Harry24
08-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Yep but in the end for me the ast was too heavy. I hope you love your apdc, I sure do love mine lol
yep that was the decidintg factor for me on the AST, it was to heavy and was awful on serves.

snoopy
08-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Any ideas on a lighter swinging APDC?

I know the APDC is a unique frame so there isn't anything quite like it. The things I about it were its stability, power, relative comfort compared to other stiff frames, and the way you can be aggressive with it. You can impose your game on others with the APDC.

I was thinking about trying the Willson K Pro Open and the DNX 8. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread.

Harry24
08-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Awww....why's the KBlade Tour #15? I've been demoing for about a month and finally chose that one. The AeroStorm was #2 :D

Cause I hated the kblade tour lol. Why do people like the Aero Storm Tour and the kblade tour?????:?completely different!:shock:haha I hate closed string patterns....i found that out cause I hated pure storm ltd.(sorry to those who love it) and kblade tour. The kblade 98 wasnt bad but i had trouble with my forehands on it.

Harry24
08-01-2008, 08:13 PM
What is your play style like?
I put my index knuckle on the bevel between eastern and semi-western(weird I know, federer does it). I hit relatively flat(without APDC!ha) and I am a baseliner that loves approach shots and occasionly finishes at net. My favorite shot:inside-out forehand and crosscourt passsing shot when opponent is coming to net. Because I hit relatively flat I needed something that gave me great spin potential(APDC). Hope this helped.

Harry24
08-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Any ideas on a lighter swinging APDC?

I know the APDC is a unique frame so there isn't anything quite like it. The things I about it were its stability, power, relative comfort compared to other stiff frames, and the way you can be aggressive with it. You can impose your game on others with the APDC.

I was thinking about trying the Willson K Pro Open and the DNX 8. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread.
This may not be for you but when you say that I automatically think Aero Strike haha(to me its a much lighter version of APDC):http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCBAB-BASTR.html
And its ok haha this thread was started to bring up other racquets and how they compare, etc.

dunno
08-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Get some Gamma Asterisk 16 and your string search will be over too.

rayallen333
08-01-2008, 10:06 PM
How does the APDC compare with the Microgel Pro and Radical Pro?

Harry24
08-01-2008, 10:42 PM
How does the APDC compare with the Microgel Pro and Radical Pro?
Which Microgel Pro and Radical Pro(Extreme or Prestige)?

mdjenders
08-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Congrats on finding your chosen stick! I just put an end (thankfully) to my 8 month demo period, in which I tried out:

1. Prince Graphite Mid (what I was using before the demo, and what I will be using after all this, go figure)
2. Prince O3 Tour MP (actually settled on this a few months back, bought a bunch, then developed big time issues with the grip)

Rest that never really had a chance:
Fischer M Pro 1 98 SL No Tolerance
Dunlop Aerogel 100
Dunlop Aerogel 200
Dunlop Aerogel 300
Becker Pro
Becker 11 Mid
Becker 11 Midplus
Becker 11 Light
Volkl DNX9
Volkl DNX10 Mid
Yonex RDS001 Mid 2008
Head Microgel Prestige Mid
Head Microgel Prestige Midplus
Head Microgel Prestige Pro
Head Flexpoint Prestige Midplus
Head Microgel Radical Pro
Prince NXG MP
Wilson kSix-One Team
Wilson nSix-One Tour 90
Prince Ozone Tour
Prince Ozone Pro Tour
Tecnifibre TFight 320 16M
Babolat Pure Drive Cortex+
Prince Graphite Longbody

What an exhausting process. I only switched from the POG because of tennis elbow issues, but I am going to work hard to find a string setup, be it gut or something else, that is comfortable in this frame. Nothing else hits like it, and nothing else fits my game (heavy topspin, one hand bh) better than the trusty POG mid.

Sabenza
08-02-2008, 01:17 AM
You guys are very lucky to have been able to demo rackets. From where I live, there is no demo program and over the last two months and I have purchased the following rackets in the following order:

1. Head Microgel Radical OS
2. Balolat Aeropro Drive cortex
3. Babolat Pure drive cortex
4. Wilson K90 (Asian Version)
5. Wilson KBlade 98
6. Prince O3 White Pro MP
7. Dunlop Aerogel 300
8. Head Microgel Radical Pro

Plus my three old rackets (I stopped playing tennis 10 years ago and re-picked up 2 months ago):
1. Prince POG OS 4 strip (too heavy)
2. Prince Graphite Michael Chang OS (2 strips)
3. Wilson Prostaff 85 (Taiwan not St. Vincent)
4. Estusa Graphite Midplus Limited Edition

Settled on the Head MG Radical Pro.

Just managed to sell the Pure Drive (not a single scratch) for US$65 as there is practically no second hand market here.

pmerk34
08-02-2008, 05:23 AM
You guys are very lucky to have been able to demo rackets. From where I live, there is no demo program and over the last two months and I have purchased the following rackets in the following order:

1. Head Microgel Radical OS
2. Balolat Aeropro Drive cortex
3. Babolat Pure drive cortex
4. Wilson K90 (Asian Version)
5. Wilson KBlade 98
6. Prince O3 White Pro MP
7. Dunlop Aerogel 300
8. Head Microgel Radical Pro

Plus my three old rackets (I stopped playing tennis 10 years ago and re-picked up 2 months ago):
1. Prince POG OS 4 strip (too heavy)
2. Prince Graphite Michael Chang OS (2 strips)
3. Wilson Prostaff 85 (Taiwan not St. Vincent)
4. Estusa Graphite Midplus Limited Edition

Settled on the Head MG Radical Pro.

Just managed to sell the Pure Drive (not a single scratch) for US$65 as there is practically no second hand market here.

FRAME OF REFERENCE

Comparing the head sizes of the racquets used by Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, as well as some players who have defeated Nadal recently. All use a larger head size than Federer.

Player Racquet Headsize (sq. in)

Roger Federer Wilson KTour 90
Rafael Nadal Babolat Aeropro Drive Cortex 100

Novak Djokovic KBlade Tour 93
David Nalbandian Yonex RDS001 MidPlus 98
Nikolay Davydenko Prince Ozone Tour 100
Andy Roddick Babolat Pure Drive Roddick Plus 100
David Ferrer Prince Shark 100
Thomas Berdych Dunlop Aerogel 2Hundred 95
James Blake Dunlop Aerogel 2Hundred 95
Mikhail Youzhny Head Microgel Extreme Pro 100
Juan Carlos Ferrero Prince Graphite Classic 107

Harry24
08-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Congrats on finding your chosen stick! I just put an end (thankfully) to my 8 month demo period, in which I tried out:

1. Prince Graphite Mid (what I was using before the demo, and what I will be using after all this, go figure)
2. Prince O3 Tour MP (actually settled on this a few months back, bought a bunch, then developed big time issues with the grip)

Rest that never really had a chance:
Fischer M Pro 1 98 SL No Tolerance
Dunlop Aerogel 100
Dunlop Aerogel 200
Dunlop Aerogel 300
Becker Pro
Becker 11 Mid
Becker 11 Midplus
Becker 11 Light
Volkl DNX9
Volkl DNX10 Mid
Yonex RDS001 Mid 2008
Head Microgel Prestige Mid
Head Microgel Prestige Midplus
Head Microgel Prestige Pro
Head Flexpoint Prestige Midplus
Head Microgel Radical Pro
Prince NXG MP
Wilson kSix-One Team
Wilson nSix-One Tour 90
Prince Ozone Tour
Prince Ozone Pro Tour
Tecnifibre TFight 320 16M
Babolat Pure Drive Cortex+
Prince Graphite Longbody

What an exhausting process. I only switched from the POG because of tennis elbow issues, but I am going to work hard to find a string setup, be it gut or something else, that is comfortable in this frame. Nothing else hits like it, and nothing else fits my game (heavy topspin, one hand bh) better than the trusty POG mid.
Nice list, Im glad I didnt have to demo for 12 months and stick with the same racquet ha. But I did sorta, I demoed for three months and only switched to the updated version(cortex) of my original APD, go figure haha.
And like I said the O3 Tours were the last good prince racquets to me. The speedports have way to much power and the ozones feel like crap.

Rafanatic
08-02-2008, 06:35 PM
harry did you notice some more control with the standard than the plus.

Harry24
08-03-2008, 10:05 AM
harry did you notice some more control with the standard than the plus.
Yes I actually did. I found I could get the same pace as with the longer one(+) because it was more manueverable. I do have an APD+ still so I can compare it with my new APDCs when I get them.

Harry24
08-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Edit: after hitting with the Yonex RQiS 1 Tour today(my last day with demos) with the Gamma Shockbuster dampener I found it was a much better racquet than I thought and has tied for 2 in my opinion. I guess the dampener can make a difference as sure as heck did with the RQiS 1 Tour(weird).

Passingshot
08-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Did you find your string yet?

Harry24
08-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Did you find your string yet?

I will have both of my babolat APDC's Wednesday(and Aero 12 pack). If you mean what I prefer then no....I strung one with pro hurricane tour/xcel and the other full pro hurricane tour Im looking ofrwardd to trying the different string set ups.

gloryofgreece
08-05-2008, 08:39 PM
how you like apdc? Does it give you elbow problems?

Harry24
08-05-2008, 08:57 PM
how you like apdc? Does it give you elbow problems?

Actually no.....at the moment ha. It dosent give any problems with my hybrid setup(Pro hurricane and xcel) in fact its better than my regular APD as far as comfort. But I am going to tr a full pro hurricane tour setup and see how that goes. If I dont get elbow problems from that then the racquet will definately not give me any problems.

Harry24
08-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Pics of my new equipment(bag and two APDC's)!!:http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=214311&goto=newpost