PDA

View Full Version : Let ruleing in college tennis!

Boblarryjrthird
08-01-2008, 06:17 PM
I heard that lets in college tennis dont count as lets and just continue without redoing. Is this true?

Jonny S&V
08-01-2008, 06:26 PM
I heard that lets in college tennis dont count as lets and just continue without redoing. Is this true?

Lets on serves in D1 tennis are played and not redone.

djokster
08-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Same think for World Team Tennis.

10isDad
08-01-2008, 07:42 PM

D1 men's only. Women's tennis still plays lets.

JLyon
08-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Only D1 Men play no lets, also NCAA/ITA rules prohibit any point from being replayed, unless it is a let called during a point (ball rolling onto court or dead ball)

autumn_leaf
08-02-2008, 06:56 PM
wow. didn't know this. so why the difference in rules?

raiden031
08-02-2008, 07:03 PM

I heard that the reason they play lets on serves is because of cheating. Players would call lets on serves when they botch the return even if it was a good serve.

Jonny S&V
08-02-2008, 07:04 PM

Speed up matches. I believe they don't play ad either.

10isDad
08-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Speed up matches. I believe they don't play ad either.

Yes the women do play ad.

The let serve rule went into effect because players getting aced would call lets or, as pointed out earlier, players missing returns would call a let. Since most of the chair umps are in no position to overrule (generally pretty old, not on the line, etc.), it was decided to allow let serves to count as good. The women's serves are not so fast that they can't be judged accurately by the chair ump.

Personally, I have seen one doubles match and one singles match won on let serve aces that clipped the tape and dribbled over the net. I also saw a match point saved in the same manner.

MegacedU
08-02-2008, 09:50 PM
D1 men's only. Women's tennis still plays lets.

This is correct. The men's rule only went into effect a few years ago to my understanding. But women's lets are still re-served.

Joeyg
08-03-2008, 06:05 AM
This used to be referred to as "The UCLA Rule" in the Pac 10. Draw your own conclusions.

desnj1
08-03-2008, 08:41 AM
This rule went into effect in D1 during my freshman year. 1997. I cant even tell you how many points I saw lost because people forgot to play the let.

Boblarryjrthird
08-03-2008, 10:12 AM
wow thanks for the responces i never really thought about lets in college! Thats funny people forgeting to play lets! lol

slice bh compliment
08-03-2008, 10:36 AM
This used to be referred to as "The UCLA Rule" in the Pac 10. Draw your own conclusions.

Justin Gimelstob was on the UCLA team during the mid-90s, right before that rule was passed in 1997.

Gimel.

Any of you ever played a match w/o lets? It's actually pretty fun. I do it sometimes just for fun when I play with the guys who played in college in recent yrs.

Once, four of us played a set like that in dubs. By the end, one of the guys who hated it came up with the rule that the net man can take the let serve. Pretty cool. I know that's actualy way illegal, but that was the most fun dubs ever.

cmb
08-03-2008, 10:58 AM
and add brad gilbert to the list of let cheaters in college. He was impossible to ace...it ALWAYS was a let!

dork2tennisstud
08-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Justin Gimelstob was on the UCLA team during the mid-90s, right before that rule was passed in 1997.

Gimel.

Any of you ever played a match w/o lets? It's actually pretty fun. I do it sometimes just for fun when I play with the guys who played in college in recent yrs.

Once, four of us played a set like that in dubs. By the end, one of the guys who hated it came up with the rule that the net man can take the let serve. Pretty cool. I know that's actualy way illegal, but that was the most fun dubs ever.

Actually, in WTT they do allow the net player to return the serve on let-cord serves.

Fedace
08-05-2008, 08:15 AM
and add brad gilbert to the list of let cheaters in college. He was impossible to ace...it ALWAYS was a let!

Or maybe he was just a great returner ? He did beat JP macenroe in the masters final. i might actually try this let thing in the playoffs.

cmb
08-05-2008, 02:28 PM
great returner, great player....and a let cheater

Joeyg
08-05-2008, 04:25 PM
DR. Fedace with yet another moronic post. I am quite sure he wasn't even alive when Brad was cheating his way through Foothill JC and the Norcal juniors. Perhaps, he should stick to something he is an expert at, like predicting "Standford" results.

SoCal10s
08-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Or maybe he was just a great returner ? He did beat JP macenroe in the masters final. i might actually try this let thing in the playoffs.

Brad Gilbert played for Pepperdine and he never played the #1 spot and everyone that knows him then,knew that he cheated and was also the biggest cry-baby ... we used to go out purposely to head hunt for him in the matches....even some of his own team mates didn't like him..

Joeyg
08-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Fedace, you cheating lowlife. You might actually try this "let thing" in the play-offs? Nice! I hope someone who actually knows you sees this and calls you on it. What a creep!!

jaggy
08-07-2008, 05:56 AM
I saw one where the ball hit the net cord, bounced so high it was hit as an overhead winner by the returner.

10isDad
08-07-2008, 06:07 AM
I saw one where the ball hit the net cord, bounced so high it was hit as an overhead winner by the returner.

Like hit the net cord and bounced that high without hitting the ground and returner hits an overheard? I have a very hard time believing that to be legal and can't imagine the chair ump allowing it.

If the ball hit the net cord, bounced up, hit the ground in the service box, bouncing high enough to hit an overhead, it'd be OK but not the way described in the post.

JLyon
08-07-2008, 06:45 AM
Like hit the net cord and bounced that high without hitting the ground and returner hits an overheard? I have a very hard time believing that to be legal and can't imagine the chair ump allowing it.

If the ball hit the net cord, bounced up, hit the ground in the service box, bouncing high enough to hit an overhead, it'd be OK but not the way described in the post.

I think the way he typed it the official decision would be point to the server as it would be no different than hitting a serve that hits an opponent on the fly.
In the end though the roll over lets and the sitter lets even out over the course of a match.