PDA

View Full Version : I like my racket but hate the gripshape(what can i do?)

martin
08-02-2008, 05:29 AM
I have a dunlop m-fil300 and i think it's a great racket. The only problem is that i hate the gripshape. It just doesn't feel comfortable. It feels too round and i can't feel the bevels. My last racket was a babolat apdc and the gripshape was perfect but the racket had too much power just like the yonex rds003 which had a good gripshape also. I want to know if i can do something to change the gripshape more like a babolat or yonex?

wilsonsir12
08-02-2008, 07:34 AM
called a replacement grip

wilsonsir12
08-02-2008, 07:35 AM
replacement grip

martin
08-02-2008, 07:38 AM
But the shape stays the same. Doesn't matter which kind of replacement grip i use.

Loco4Tennis
08-02-2008, 08:08 AM
here is a suggestion
remove all the grips/overgrips all the way to the handle
get some flat cardboard to cut some length wise pieces (vevel width), and stick them on each vevel until you have the desired shape
i would then use like electrical tape to hold it down and then add the overgrip of your choise

geesechops
08-02-2008, 08:45 AM
You could get a bigger size and sand it down to the shape you want, which is pretty hard. Or use a end mill which is more precise.

Forehand Forever
08-02-2008, 08:47 AM
You could always just get used to it...

The Hybrid
08-02-2008, 08:58 AM
grind it down...but thats kinda risky...then just replace the grip and use some kinda tape...good luck

martin
08-02-2008, 09:00 AM

Tried that already, it didn't work

slkbassist
08-02-2008, 09:08 AM
There are some shops which will change the pallet out with another. I'm not sure the cost of this.

Otherwise for a do it your self version-
Take off any overgrip and base grip

layer electrical tape in multiple vertical strips in between the bevels, so you can fix the shape to fit the way you want. You might use a good deal of tape depending on the shape you want. I know a few people do this with Head racquets since the the top and bottom are more flat than say a Wilson pallat.

Once you have the desired shape put on a replacement grip.

* This is a good way to do this without altering weight too much and is reversible.

phucng_10
08-02-2008, 09:56 AM

I second this. Changing from a Wilson to a Fischer grip took me about a week to get used to. Well if you did try it already, you haven't played with it long enough. You can always buy those heat shrink sleeves to make your grip size bigger.

crazytennis
08-02-2008, 12:06 PM
here is a suggestion
remove all the grips/overgrips all the way to the handle
get some flat cardboard to cut some length wise pieces (vevel width), and stick them on each vevel until you have the desired shape
i would then use like electrical tape to hold it down and then add the overgrip of your choise

Yeah, this works well. You can also use the plastic pieces from a CD box.

gregmiata
08-02-2008, 12:12 PM
I use a product called "addongrip" to change the grip shape of my Tecnifibre's to one closer to Wilsons. Works great for me. Google it.

Greg

martin
08-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Thanks everybody but i don't think it's gonna work.
Finally found a good racket and then this awful grip shape. Now i have to get rid of it. Which racket would be close to a m-fil300?
I consider the rq is tour 1 light, rds002 non-tour, pure storm or aerostorm light. Any advice please?

Loco4Tennis
08-03-2008, 03:16 AM
Yeah, this works well. You can also use the plastic pieces from a CD box.

you mean the hard plastic from the case itself??

larry10s
08-03-2008, 03:58 AM
see next post

larry10s
08-03-2008, 04:02 AM
call rpny tennis they can change the grip for you or bosworth tennis

El Diablo
08-03-2008, 04:05 AM
Get rid of it. Since every manufacturer makes a large variety of racquets, you'll have an easier time finding something you're comfortable with if you just confine yourself to those with grips you like. I've only been using Prince or Vantage in recent years because I do well with the grip shape. Between those two companies, there's more than adequate number of choices to find a racquet I like. (Note -- molding a new grip at RPNY runs about 100 dollars a racquet.)

hoodjem
08-03-2008, 06:07 AM
Try this--

http://www.addongrip.com/html/prod_tpack.html

martin
08-03-2008, 07:59 AM
Try this--

http://www.addongrip.com/html/prod_tpack.html

Thanks, but i don't need a bigger grip. Add on builds up the grip and keeps the shape the same so that doesn't help me at all. The grip has the right size but i can't stand the shape. It feels too round. It feels like it will slip out of my hand when i try a western grip for example.

hoodjem
08-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Find a racquet in which the grip feels really good. Measure the width of each of the bevels in millimeters.

Take your racquet, measure the bevels very carefully, noting differences with the grip you liked.

Remove the grip on your racquet. Take a close look at the pallet. Hold it in your hand, swing with it. Which bevels feel too big, and which feel too small? Why is it too round?

(Chances are the widths of the bevels are too similar. On my Wilson racquets the side bevels are the widest, then the top and bottom bevels, then the four intermediary bevels are least in width.)

Get a sanding block and try to recreate the measurements of the racquet you liked. If you need to build up two bevels, you can use head tape cut and laid on in strips lengthwise (not wrapped).

Put your grip back on. Measure and feel. Repeat if necessary.

Be careful, don't overdo it. It's much easier to take off than to put on.

phoenicks
08-03-2008, 10:04 AM
u can even use sand paper to rub the grip after removing the replacement grip. U can literally rub any shape u 1 !!!

esrb
08-03-2008, 11:13 AM
get a racket with a nicer grip shape, saw the other one and use a lot of glue....:shock:

martin
08-03-2008, 11:21 AM
That's really funny

martin
08-03-2008, 11:25 AM
I probably ruin my rackets so there's no other option then to sell but the good news is that it's easier to choose. I only like the yonex and babolat grip shapes.

ojingoh
08-03-2008, 09:40 PM
go to this website: US Racquet Stringers Association (http://www.racquettech.com/) and search for a Master racquet technician in your area. Call them up, see what they can do about switching pallets.

need2paint
08-03-2008, 11:12 PM
I have a dunlop m-fil300 and i think it's a great racket. The only problem is that i hate the gripshape. It just doesn't feel comfortable. It feels too round and i can't feel the bevels. My last racket was a babolat apdc and the gripshape was perfect but the racket had too much power just like the yonex rds003 which had a good gripshape also. I want to know if i can do something to change the gripshape more like a babolat or yonex?

The Dunlop grip shape is pretty standard and not as round as the Yonex. It sounds to me like what you are really complaining about is not the shape, but that you can't feel the bevels. The cause of this is that your racquet comes with a thick grip installed. All you have to do is replace it with a thin one like the Hydramax Tour or leather.

martin
08-04-2008, 04:00 AM
The Dunlop grip shape is pretty standard and not as round as the Yonex. It sounds to me like what you are really complaining about is not the shape, but that you can't feel the bevels. The cause of this is that your racquet comes with a thick grip installed. All you have to do is replace it with a thin one like the Hydramax Tour or leather.

you're right. It feels as if the bevels of the dunlop are not as pronounced as the yonex or babolat. Ofcourse i did compare the yonex, babolat and dunlop with the same synthetic grip and it felt better on the yonex and babolat. I tried some grips on the dunlop and with a thin grip the the grip became too small and with a thick grip i couldn't feel the bevels. Only option left might be a very thin leather grip with overgrip.

hoodjem
08-04-2008, 06:18 AM
The TW leather grip in the thin version (1.3 mm, I think) really brings out the bevels.

I had one, and it was very crisp and "edgey" feeling.

origmarm
08-04-2008, 06:27 AM
RPNY or Bosworth will both do custom grips. Expensive though. Otherwise you are stuck modifying it as below or switching racquets. Hoodjem's point is a good one though, I play a Dunlop grip on my Vantage and I have a thin leather on it and an overgrip to bring out the bevels

Blade0324
08-04-2008, 12:06 PM
You mention that the grip feels like it's going to slip out of your hand. Have you considered taking a bit of tape and wrapping it aroung the beveled part of the butcap that tapers down to the handle. You usually only need about 2-3 wraps and it will build up the feel of the buttcap and my help you to feel less like the racquet is going to come out of your hand.

bronco_mba
08-04-2008, 01:20 PM
You mention that the grip feels like it's going to slip out of your hand. Have you considered taking a bit of tape and wrapping it aroung the beveled part of the butcap that tapers down to the handle. You usually only need about 2-3 wraps and it will build up the feel of the buttcap and my help you to feel less like the racquet is going to come out of your hand.

Second this approach if the problem is not being able to feel the end of the grip. I swapped out the Yonex buttcap for a Wilson one (very easy to do). Slapped on a leather grip, wrapped a cheap overgrip around the buttcap 3 times, two wraps of electric tape to secure the overgrip, then my usual supergrap on top. I now have a built up ("flanged") end to my RDS001 MPs - a wonderful feel for the low low price of $4/frame.

TheShaun
08-04-2008, 02:12 PM
call rpny tennis they can change the grip for you or bosworth tennis

good advice.

if you love the racquet and don't want to change, then change the grip to whatever shape you want.