PDA

View Full Version : Silicone Injection

kirbster123
08-02-2008, 05:09 PM
For anyone who has added silicone to the handle of the racquet, how did you do it, and what kind of silicone did you use?

bumblebee
08-18-2008, 10:33 AM
yes, i would like to know this too

tsongaali
08-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Just get a silicone tube at home depot, or somewhere else. As for how to do it: Take off the buttcap or open trap door, stuff cotton at the bottom to make sure that no silicone will get to the inside of the frame, and add the amount of silicone you need.

ag200boy
08-18-2008, 10:42 AM
what are the benefits of adding sillicone??

counterweighting, vibe dampening??

tsongaali
08-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Adding silicone mutes a LOT of vibration. Silicone is a very good shock absorber. Filling the handle with silicone is only for those who want a 100% arm friendly racquet.

ag200boy
08-18-2008, 11:07 AM
so maybe adding silicone could allow me to tighten my strings even more :D

littleboi21
08-18-2008, 11:14 AM
anybody have a video on how to do this?

niktub
08-18-2008, 10:40 PM
or photos to show the process.
Anybody knows the weight of silicone?and how to measure the right amount f silicone into the handle?...with a balance i guess....

Mansewerz
08-18-2008, 10:48 PM
is it better than the foam already there like Wilson does?

Alafter
08-18-2008, 11:34 PM
Meat injection.

rosewall4ever
08-19-2008, 04:16 AM
For anyone who has added silicone to the handle of the racquet, how did you do it, and what kind of silicone did you use?

Silicone - you mean glue sticks?

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Customizing/customize.html

Mostly used to hold lead weights in place inside the handle, not used by themselves as they don't weigh much -2 -4g (guess). Gets messy. However a lot of racquet are low quality in construction, particularly in the handle and so getting the lead weight let alone the glue makes it almost impossible

ag200boy
08-19-2008, 09:58 AM
^^^

no, silicone- as in silicone :/

Nuke
08-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Me, I filled an old Hammer 6.2 skunk: Open the trap door and pump in GE Silicone Caulk with a caulking gun. There's two hollow chambers in the handle, so put some caulk in each side. Fill and weigh the racquet until you reach the weight you're shooting for. Replace the trap door and store the racquet standing on its butt end so the silicone flows down to the bottom of the handle as it dries.

tennisfreak15347
08-19-2008, 10:03 AM
pop off the buttcap, add a touch of silicone, and viola, a pamela anderson racquet.

ag200boy
08-19-2008, 10:18 AM
^^^

hahahah

pamela anderson carmen electra FXP prestige mid

diredesire
08-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Has anyone tried any polyeurethane (or other) foam injection? I would guess it is lighter, and has many of the same benefits. I would guess a full tube of silicone sealant would weigh a TON.

OnyxZ28
08-19-2008, 12:17 PM
I was curious about that too; home depot sells this expanding epoxy foam stuff.

diredesire
08-19-2008, 12:29 PM
I was curious about that too; home depot sells this expanding epoxy foam stuff.

Looks like we need a brave TTer with a spare frame ;)

Murray_Maniac
08-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Obviously everything is better w/ sillicone in them ;)

Greg Raven
08-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Has anyone tried any polyeurethane (or other) foam injection? I would guess it is lighter, and has many of the same benefits. I would guess a full tube of silicone sealant would weigh a TON.

The silicone is much heavier, but easier to work with. The spray-in expando foam is lighter, but if you're not VERY careful it will go everywhere.

Also, the expando foam cures fairly quickly, while if you fill the entire handle with silicone at one go, it may skin over on the butt cap end within a day or so, but curing will take some time as there is very little air flow to most of the silicone mass.

skiracer55
08-19-2008, 01:44 PM
...a few Super Balls? Would that be cool, or what?

Blade0324
08-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Yep Silicone is the way to go for sure. I have done this with my MGPP's and then ended up needing to add some weight at 12 under the cap's to re-balance a little bit but they are not 368g strung with one overgrip. I had them at 370g but took 2g off the hoop to make a bit more maneuverable.

diredesire
08-19-2008, 01:57 PM
The silicone is much heavier, but easier to work with. The spray-in expando foam is lighter, but if you're not VERY careful it will go everywhere.

Also, the expando foam cures fairly quickly, while if you fill the entire handle with silicone at one go, it may skin over on the butt cap end within a day or so, but curing will take some time as there is very little air flow to most of the silicone mass.

Hey Greg,

Would you say that the slow curing time is a benefit or a drawback? I would wager that the dampening properties would be very similar regardless of how "set" the silicone gets.

I have to agree though, that the Silicone would probably work better regardless of operator skill.

markwillplay
08-24-2008, 05:12 PM
I put silicone in my mgpp's and finally got it all out. I had no idea it was so heavy. I filled just the bottom part of the handle and it went over 13 0z. I did manage to get it out and now I have one peice of cotton about a third of the way up (so I can still get it out with long skinny drill bit) and several of those packaging foam peanuts shoved up to the cotton. they weigh almost nothing but I can tell they do absorg some vibration. I would love to till most of the handle with something but I ain't touching silicone again. What is this epoxy stuff and does it work?

Blade0324
08-25-2008, 09:09 AM
^I'm surprised that you didn't like the weight of the frame after adding silicone in the handle. If you didn't add some in the hoop too it would have made it heavier yes but more HL also. If they were over 13 oz. you must have added a lot of silicone. I have it in mine and they are basically just barely under 13, 268g to be exact, and that includes adding about 4g at 12 o'clock to rebalance.

ps60
08-25-2008, 09:51 AM
From when did Silicone become a fashion ? :)

when i cut one of the too light Japanese version of Prince Air something 1.5" shorter, i put some silicone (crack filler to be exact) inside the handle, expecting it would weigh about 10~15g. It turned out to be 50g heavier. I swear it was just the handle. Not so much to fill up to the throat.

The effect, very HL of course. Shock absorber ? Keep dreaming, it doesn't have too much effect. Hitting feel ? aside from being too HL and lack of power, it doesn't change much. Yes still very comfortable but not sth miracle... So, don't dream about it.

Short-coming: they cure veryvery slow - weeks !
and if U can't wait, they will probably move towards the head when U swing it hard (playing tennis) and U just can't estimate where the result balance and SW will be.

Blade0324
08-25-2008, 11:13 AM
PS60, as with anything YMMV but I would respectfully disagree with you. the difference for me was extremely noticable in terms of the dampened feel. I have also and numerous playing partners hit with my sticks and ask why they feel so different. I'm not saying that silicon is a miracle or that it is for everyone but it certainly does have an impact on the way the frame feels and plays.

Steve Huff
08-25-2008, 12:27 PM
I've used rubber cement this way. I think rubber cement dampens better, but wouldn't swear to it. Like someone mentioned, just stuff cotton very firmly down each tube (if there are 2 on your racket) so rubber/silicone doesn't go all the way down the shaft, then pour it in or shoot it in. I had to take the butt cap off my Pro kennex 5g as it has no trap door.

diredesire
08-25-2008, 09:28 PM
I've used rubber cement this way. I think rubber cement dampens better, but wouldn't swear to it. Like someone mentioned, just stuff cotton very firmly down each tube (if there are 2 on your racket) so rubber/silicone doesn't go all the way down the shaft, then pour it in or shoot it in. I had to take the butt cap off my Pro kennex 5g as it has no trap door.

Steve, I was under the impression that the kinetic beads ran all the way down into the handle, do you know where/how they are stopped?

I have a 7g, and haven't tried modding it (removing the buttcap especially) due to this paranoia.

Thanks,
DD

Trevor
08-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Will adding Silicone into a racquet take away any feel?

Mansewerz
08-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Steve, I was under the impression that the kinetic beads ran all the way down into the handle, do you know where/how they are stopped?

I have a 7g, and haven't tried modding it (removing the buttcap especially) due to this paranoia.

Thanks,
DD

Are they real?

DD, did you get the Gamma 6004 yet?

diredesire
08-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Are they real?

DD, did you get the Gamma 6004 yet?

The kinetic beads? They are very real ;)

They sound like a whish whish/muted maraca. They do help, too.

I'm not getting the 6004, I'll be (hopefully) getting a 5800 ELS by the end of the year.

Steve Huff
08-27-2008, 04:58 AM
They don't come all the way to the handle. I've even looked up the handle and shaft with a flashlight and didn't see any, so, I'm assuming they are only in the rackets head. From what I understand, the racket does not have chambers for these beads to fit in. It's simply a strip of plastic filled with little beads. They are then glued or somehow tacked into the frame so they don't block holes. I haven't torn one apart though, this is just what I heard.

SlapShot
08-27-2008, 06:08 AM
I'm still using my siliconed and leaded FXP Prestiges, and am loving every minute with them.

The shock absorption was worth the added 10-11g of weight.

If you're adding 50g to the frame, that's WAY too much silicone. You just need to get it into the end of the handle - you could probably get away with ~6-7g if you didn't want to add too much weight.

Will adding Silicone into a racquet take away any feel?

It changes the feel for sure. Take away? Depends on what you consider feel. The FXP Prestige strung up tight was an arm killer when stock, and now I'm using PSGD @ 59-60# and having no issues with arm pain, and the feel of the frame is more in line with what I want out of the Prestige.

markwillplay
08-27-2008, 06:32 AM
I think I just put too much, that's all. I did not realize I was onlyu supposed to put it at the end of the handle so I went way up.

I just put some expando foam (called great stuff)in mine though and it is foam but weighs not much at all. The weight is the same as with the cotton and little foamies. Will hit with it today but I suspect it will dampen slightly. I like the sticks at 12.3-12.4 ozx and about 9-10 pts headlight. This is where mione are. I go back and forth with lead on the hoop but right now there is none.

Steve F.
08-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Great thread.
I've got a T-Fight 335 that I'd love to add just enough silicone under the buttcap to absorb shock. In your guys' experience, approx how much would that be (expressed as a measure of depth and/or grams)? And how long should it wait to cure. I can be patient as I have several of these frames.

Steve Huff - That rubber cement trick: did you find it lighter, or easier to remove, or did it just smell better? ;) I'd think that would give some kind of rebound more than dampen a frame; just wondering what the benefit over silicone was, if you found any.

supineAnimation
02-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Anyone else try any kind of foam for injecting into the handle? I'd like to find something to inject into the entire handle that won't add as much weight as filling it with silicone. The foam mentioned intrigues me. Thanks.

supineAnimation
02-16-2010, 02:09 PM
I think I just put too much, that's all. I did not realize I was onlyu supposed to put it at the end of the handle so I went way up.

I just put some expando foam (called great stuff)in mine though and it is foam but weighs not much at all. The weight is the same as with the cotton and little foamies. Will hit with it today but I suspect it will dampen slightly. I like the sticks at 12.3-12.4 ozx and about 9-10 pts headlight. This is where mione are. I go back and forth with lead on the hoop but right now there is none.
I realize this post is over a year old, so I don't expect to get a response right away, but I'm toying around with the idea of injecting silicone or foam into the handles of my new frames to try to damp some vibration, and I was hoping to ask markwillplay a few questions:

What was the exact name of the foam you used?

Did you put something into the handle first (perhaps cotton) to keep the foam from going into the throat?

Do you know how much weight the foam you used to fill your handle added to the racquet?

Did you notice an improvement in regards to vibration-dampening or anything else?

Thanks in advance.