PDA

View Full Version : How to clean a white grip

Finsfan
08-02-2008, 06:43 PM
I got a used racquet today and it is in great shape as far as scratches (just a few at the top but that appears to be black plastic). Very small nick on the paint, and other than that, very eye clean.

But the grip is white (Head absorb something or other), and has that black staining from when the racquet is gripped. Would like to restore the whiteness to it.

Suggestions on what to do, and more importantly, what not to do?

Il Mostro
08-02-2008, 06:44 PM
White overgrip.

Mansewerz
08-02-2008, 06:48 PM
replace it.....

djokster
08-02-2008, 06:48 PM
White overgrip.
Very helpful dude...

djokster
08-02-2008, 06:49 PM
replace it.....
Even better help...

Finsfan
It looks in great shape though. Still tacky to the touch

1) Would a kitchen cleaner with bleach work if I wiped it off with a towel and tried that?

2) If I took it back, could they use the same sort of grip and about what would I expect to pay?

djokster
Try using rubbing alcohol.

phucng_10
08-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Try using rubbing alcohol.

I second that. Rubbing alcohol would work or nail polish remover. I've used both when I couldn't replace my White Overgrip. But it would be better if you did replace your Overgrip rather then trying to use this method.

Finsfan
08-02-2008, 06:58 PM
I dont think it is an overgrip. The original Flexpoint 1 shows a white grip and that is what this is. I got it used to try out and so I did not want to invest that much in it until I can get to the point where I am spinning forehands and stuff. Ill try rubbing alcohol, I have some.

crazytennis
08-02-2008, 07:02 PM
It's the Head Hydrosorb grip, you're talking about. It's a good grip. It costs about 5$.
Another great way is to buy white overgrips, cost ~1$ a grip. And put it on top of the Hydrosorb and replace it whenever you want.

Finsfan
08-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Ah, Hydrosorb, that's it. Well, $5 to replace it, I dont feel bad. I guess they might do it if I mess it up with the rubbing alcohol. He said I was kinda great at the 3/8 and a 1/4 would work. My finger barely comes to the knuckle on the grip, but it does. With the 1/4 it gets to the top of the knuckle, if that makes sense. But I am coming off a Jack Kramer autograph that I have had forever, and it is 3/4 and heavy.

phucng_10
08-02-2008, 07:07 PM
I dont think it is an overgrip. The original Flexpoint 1 shows a white grip and that is what this is. I got it used to try out and so I did not want to invest that much in it until I can get to the point where I am spinning forehands and stuff. Ill try rubbing alcohol, I have some.

Oh, it is the replacement grip. You can try the rubbing alcohol but I would suggest you to replace it. It wouldn't cost that much, probably about $6-$7.

Finsfan
08-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Ok, I stand corrected. I just looked at a pic of a new Flexpoint 1 and it showed white, so I assumed that the grip was original. Ok, then maybe you can tell me, the strings in it appear brand spanking new, and say Head FXP 16. Are they original? I got this racquet for $50 and very few scratches, and they show new at $70.

Anyway, a grip is $6? I used the rubbing alcohol and that cleared up a good 70% of it, so Ill try that and if it feels wrong, Ill go get a new grip tomorrow. Anyway, this stick felt the best of about 10 I used on a ball machine that the dealer had for me to test with. Hit for like 30 minutes or more with all of the sticks, and then came to 3 that I tried to narrow down. 1st racquet since a Jack Kramer

Il Mostro
08-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Very helpful dude...

And the exact nature of your mental malfunction is ???

phucng_10
08-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Those HEAD FXP 16 strings seems to be original although on their main site, it doesn't talk about the gauge except the kind of string that the racquet is strung with. I'll be assuming it is FXP 16 gauge strings that are strung on the racquet. As for the replacement grip, it really depends on what you really want to get. I haven't really replaced any of my replacement grips except my Dunlop since it was ripping apart. But except for just that racquet, I never really changed the replacement grip.

And the exact nature of your mental malfunction is ???

Well, I'm not taking any sides, but by just posting "White overgrip" doesn't seem to really help the thread starter much.

projects
08-02-2008, 07:41 PM
if it's leather, woman's makeup cleansing cloth(wet) will do good cleaning job. If it's syn, just replace with a new.

Mansewerz
08-02-2008, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't try bleach. It could mess up the tacky surface.

Finsfan
08-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Ok, no bleach. Cleaned up pretty good, still tacky, but drying still. Thanks guys.

Murray_Maniac
08-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Clean a grip! Lol your hilarious.

But really, get a new one.

edit: nevermind

Chris Dono
08-03-2008, 12:11 AM
Buy white overgrip. I go through about 1 each week and i play everyday about 3+ hours.

2nd_Serve
08-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Don't be cheap ... Just get an overgrip or replacement white grip.

beedlejuice22
08-03-2008, 04:56 AM
Once you use this grip again your gonna have this same problem in no time. You said it only cleaned 70% of the dirt. That means it is justgoing to get worse and worse everytime because you won'rt be able to get the dirt off. Just use a Wilson Pro White Overgrip. You will need to replace it ever so often but it is like $1 a grip. Or just take of the Hydrosorb grip and wrap a replacement grip on.

Loco4Tennis
08-03-2008, 05:21 AM
i forgot what you said whether ro not you are gonna add an extra over grip ontop of it or not; if you are adding another overgrip ontop of this grip now, and want to keep it looking white, try wrapping it in plastic before you throw on the new overgrip first, toherwise the sweat will seep down tot the bottom grip and look degusting afterwards, wiht plastic in between it wont happen

Finsfan
08-03-2008, 06:29 AM
Loco, I never would have thought of that. First time back to playing tennis in about 15 years or so. Got my Jack Kramer on the auction now, LOL.

Anyway, the racquet is what I wanted first. I'll need to go get some shoes, but in the meantime, am using Saucony Stability running shoes. Have plenty of running clothes, so after that would be tennis shorts so I can hold some balls, oops. I have compression shorts that I tuck the balls under when I hit. Got running hats and will need sweatbands

Ill probably get a colored overgrip. I guess that is the gauze-like stuff? I love the tennis specialty shop, but its hours are not conducive until Saturday.

I was thinking that the grip was leather and plastic would not allow it to breath, but on second thought, it may be more like rubber, and Ill use some Saran Wrap. I dont have any illusions that this will be the last racquet, unless I dont hit more than once a month, but so far, Im kinda stoked about getting back into the swing of things

Loco4Tennis
08-03-2008, 06:39 AM
yeah i do this to all my racquets, i use 3 overgrips to build up the handle, the bottom ones are not clean, so when i put a fresh one on top, it will get them dirty underneath if i dont cover the old one first, i use the same plastic that comes with the overgrips, but saran wrap works too
once i get the top overgrip dirty, i flip it and the underside of the white yonnex supergrap i use is clean or rather cleaner than it would have been otherwise :-)

hoodjem
08-03-2008, 06:52 AM
If you're coming off a 4 3/4 JK Auto, then an overgrip might make it feel better--that is closer to home.

I used to like the Fairway leather on my PS 85s, but have been converted to overgrips: better hand-racquet interface.

babolat15
08-03-2008, 07:07 AM
typically youre just going to have to buy a new one