PDA

View Full Version : tennis elbow is a good thing

tennis_hand
08-02-2008, 08:14 PM
it tells you one or more of the following:

(1) your strokes are wrong
(2) you use the a racket not for you
(3) you mishit too much and u should improve.

Sadly some people just don't learn this until they have to have operation.

scotus
08-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Since you think it so good, you might as well get one.

wyutani
08-02-2008, 08:26 PM
tennis elbow is very painful. its a bad thing. i would prefer if a friend of mine would tell me my strokes or racquet is wrong rather than getting a tennis elbow. its like jumping into a fire when you already know its hot. weird i say mate'.

samster
08-02-2008, 08:42 PM
tennis elbow suxs, man! there ain't anything good about it, man!

tennis_hand
08-02-2008, 11:36 PM
it isn't the case that you suddenly get the tennis elbow. you get warning signs of pain before it really becomes serious. but players who eventually got tennis elbow are those who ignored what is happening and don't do anything about it.

10sfreak
08-03-2008, 06:37 AM
I don't know about it being good for you, or even that it comes on gradually. I've got what I believe is a bad case of it, but it's in my left, non-playing arm. It feels just like people describe tennis elbow - it's on the outside of my left forearm, right up to the elbow itself, and even lifting my arm, I can feel a twinge of pain. Gripping anything hurts like hell. I can't imagine being able to play tennis if this were in my right arm. By now, you may be wondering how I got tennis elbow in my non-playing arm. I think I got it from doing "skull-crushers". Also known as "nose-breakers", "french press", and "lying triceps extensions". I had no idea it was doing anything to injure me until it simply started hurting real bad...been that way for almost 2 months now. It makes it really hard to work out - not being able to use my grip effectively makes so many weight-lifting exercises very difficult.
Ok, enough of my whining...just thought I'd share.:-)

Ronaldo
08-03-2008, 07:13 AM
See guys with two-handed BH use an aircast on both elbows as prevention. They must not like too much of such a good thing, eh?

rocky b
08-03-2008, 08:23 AM

Your a moron why would tennis elbow be good. Having pain is good I guess you want all of us to get cancer next

Ronaldo
08-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Your a moron why would tennis elbow be good. Having pain is good I guess you want all of us to get cancer next

Bring on the good vibrations, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi-CgSO9Evw

Loco4Tennis
08-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Bring on the good vibrations, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi-CgSO9Evw

ehhh, thats some serious counseling waiting to happen :shock:

maximo
08-03-2008, 08:55 AM
well never seen anyone do that before. :???:

Ronaldo
08-03-2008, 09:16 AM
well never seen anyone do that before. :???:

I have and with a T-2000. Guys pounded their foreheads with the string, just missed. They did not seem to enjoy it.

maximo
08-03-2008, 09:23 AM
about a month ago someone playing next to where i was just screamed his head off like an animal, it was quite funny i have to say. :lol:

Ronaldo
08-03-2008, 10:38 AM
about a month ago someone playing next to where i was just screamed his head off like an animal, it was quite funny i have to say. :lol:

Watch Dinara Safina play today for more laughs.

baseline08thrasher
08-04-2008, 07:15 PM
It Tells You If Your Strings Are Too Tight.

Sentinel
08-04-2008, 08:49 PM

I wish it had taught me all these things. When i got the elbow pain, I moved to a heavier racket with a smaller head (thanks to the feedback on TW). Pain went away. However I continued to hit wrong strokes and mishit too with a player's racket -- no pain or injury.

Anyway, what it really taught me is to always listen to what my brothers at TW say - cos they always know best.

xnarek
08-05-2008, 10:51 AM
I thought of that on my shoulder injury, but since it took my summer of only tennis away from me+all my skills i worked for, ITS NOT GOOD.

tennisdad65
08-05-2008, 11:04 AM
If you recover completely from TE within 2-3 months, (like me :)) it is ok.. else TE is never good. :(

I have no idea what caused my TE since I used POG OS which was supposedly good for TE. In any case, I changed my game to pronate less on serves, and stopped hitting topspin groundstrokes except for passing shots.

I completely changed my racquet/strings etc. to that shown in my signature.

regular icing & deep tissue massage also help a lot.

spkyEngrish
08-06-2008, 03:33 AM
If TE was just a weekend pain-then-goes-away symptom, I'd agree with you. However, months of rehab and potential permanent pain is definitely not a good thing and not a good way to highlight the shortcomings in your game.

That's like saying "kids playing with firearms is a good thing because, when they blow their hands off, then they'll learn to never play with a loaded gun again!".

Ronaldo
08-06-2008, 06:50 AM
If you recover completely from TE within 2-3 months, (like me :)) it is ok.. else TE is never good. :(

I have no idea what caused my TE since I used POG OS which was supposedly good for TE. In any case, I changed my game to pronate less on serves, and stopped hitting topspin groundstrokes except for passing shots.

I completely changed my racquet/strings etc. to that shown in my signature.

regular icing & deep tissue massage also help a lot.

30 yrs ago the POG was one of the culprits that lead to TE. Now racquets are so stiff the POG is considered a wet noodle. Flexible racquets, lower tensions, playing less, and strings that are more resilient alleviated my TE symptoms.

Loco4Tennis
08-06-2008, 08:56 AM
between these two racquets, which would be better to keep playing with for someone starting to develop TE?

Head MicroGEL Extreme Racquet
babolat pure drive team +

FloridaAG
08-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Neither is particularly good in my opinion - aren't they both quite stiff?

Ronaldo
08-06-2008, 09:09 AM
between these two racquets, which would be better to keep playing with for someone starting to develop TE?

Head MicroGEL Extreme Racquet
babolat pure drive team +

Both aggravated my elbow. Own both, wanna buy some pain.......its a good thing now.

Loco4Tennis
08-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Both aggravated my elbow. Own both, wanna buy some pain.......its a good thing now.

what about as far as the string you have on does racquets, what kind are they and what tension?

the racquets above are one's my aunt has, she's been paying for a while and comlains of TE, ive changed her strings on the babolat to gosen og micro 17g, from 16g gamma marathon she was using, she was rather surpriced how comfortable the string felt and i was happy she said she liked the new setup, but i was also gonna suggest the head racquet since its advertised to be a arm friendly stick

leads me wonder what setup you have on your stick that might be causing your TE, or is the description for this racquet just marketing BS (which would not surprise me one bit either)

Ronaldo
08-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Strung both with Babolat Fiberace, 55# and within a week, wrist and elbow pain. Seriously, the Microgel Extreme is Head's version of the PD. Btw, I used the Pro, 12+ oz with a leather grip, which probably made the problem worse.

Loco4Tennis
08-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Strung both with Babolat Fiberace, 55# and within a week, wrist and elbow pain. Seriously, the Microgel Extreme is Head's version of the PD. Btw, I used the Pro, 12+ oz with a leather grip, which probably made the problem worse.

just looked up the strings you mentioned, and it is odd you would be experinecing this issue, this is after all a multi (soft) string, and strung at 55lbs, that would be ideal to me
what about as far as the type of volleys you have, do you attack the volley or use a much softer touch, also what type of tennis balls you ussually play with, and i guess also what kinds of people do you hit with, would you kow their NTR ratings (hardhitters or moderate)
as for the grip you mentioned, your provably right, people have been saying how they get more feedback from a leather grip, a soft spongy overgrip like yonnex supergrap should dampen the vibration a bit more, i use 3 of these on my racquet handle to build up the grip

oh, one more question for you, what head size racquet you usually play with? 55lbs would be o the high end on a 93-98" head size racquet, but not so much on a 100"+, specially a 110"

Bud
08-06-2008, 08:22 PM
I don't know about it being good for you, or even that it comes on gradually. I've got what I believe is a bad case of it, but it's in my left, non-playing arm. It feels just like people describe tennis elbow - it's on the outside of my left forearm, right up to the elbow itself, and even lifting my arm, I can feel a twinge of pain. Gripping anything hurts like hell. I can't imagine being able to play tennis if this were in my right arm. By now, you may be wondering how I got tennis elbow in my non-playing arm. I think I got it from doing "skull-crushers". Also known as "nose-breakers", "french press", and "lying triceps extensions". I had no idea it was doing anything to injure me until it simply started hurting real bad...been that way for almost 2 months now. It makes it really hard to work out - not being able to use my grip effectively makes so many weight-lifting exercises very difficult.
Ok, enough of my whining...just thought I'd share.:-)

TE seems to mimic/mirror itself in the opposite arm. When mine was at its worst, the TE in my left arm was about 50% of that in my right arm (I'm right-handed). I have/had a one-handed backhand... so, I never used my left arm. So, there was no physical reason I should have gotten it in the left arm, too.

I've learned to hit with two hands on the backhand side and that has made a huge difference in the recovery (after time off, ice, rest, etc.). When it's completely gone, I may again switch back to one hand on the backhand side.

What's interesting though... are the extreme angles created with a two-handed backhand... as opposed to a one-handed. I'm thinking of keeping it and using both.

topsltennis
08-07-2008, 07:37 AM
You can also get TE (golfers elbow for me) or any other form of tendonitis from overuse which is what is happening with me in several parts of the body.

Ronaldo
08-07-2008, 07:57 AM
You can also get TE (golfers elbow for me) or any other form of tendonitis from overuse which is what is happening with me in several parts of the body.

After a thorough exam and x-rays of my elbow, found crunching/bone-on-bone in the shoulder, elbow, and wrist. 30 yrs of wear and tear caught up with this arm. So I found a racquet, Yonex SRD-Tour 95 and now RDX-500 mp, that was flexy and allowed pain-free tennis. Limit doubles to no more than 3 hrs, singles 90 minutes 4 times/week. Just warm-up before play, ice afterward.