PDA

View Full Version : Do Prince's buttcap's trapdoors pop off like others?

SonRK
08-02-2008, 08:20 PM
This is going to sound like a very newbie question, but do Prince's buttcap's trapdoors pop out like, let's say, Babolats? I tried popping it out, but it doesn't seem to budge. I also did a search and the only thing I came up with is that you can slide the trapdoor off?!?! That didn't seem to work either, so I was wondering how am I able to get to the inside of the handle, without taking off the grip, removing staples, and actually removing the buttcap.

phucng_10
08-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Yeah, Prince should have buttcap trap doors. A friend of mines own a Prince O3 White and his trap door was missing.

Swan Song
08-02-2008, 10:05 PM
To remove a Prince trap door, you must slightly lift the trap door and slide it towards you and up.

SonRK
08-03-2008, 09:21 AM
I lifted up the P logo and it was just a sticker....that part came off leaving me with a closed off butcap.

Bud
08-03-2008, 11:16 AM
I lifted up the P logo and it was just a sticker....that part came off leaving me with a closed off butcap.

Wah Wah Wah... :)

The Prince racquets I own have the glossy butt cap that is not a trap door.

SonRK
08-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Yea, those are mine, the glossy buttcaps. Looks like time to take the replacement grip apart!

AndrewD
08-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Not all of them come with a trap-door (I don't think any of the 03 Tour frames did) but you can easily replace it with a Prince butt-cap that does.

SonRK
08-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Yea, I have mostly O3 racquets, and all of them have the Prince Glossy sticker as a buttcap. I didn't check out my Tour Diablo, but I have that stored somewhere.

JackB1
09-16-2009, 07:55 AM
My Ozone Tour seems to have a glossy buttcap with no trap door. Anyone know how to get this off to put weight inside?

Ljubicic for number1
09-17-2009, 03:46 AM
Depends on the model, the O3 white, black, shark, hornet all have trap doors. The Exo's don't.

JackB1
09-17-2009, 06:13 AM
Depends on the model, the O3 white, black, shark, hornet all have trap doors. The Exo's don't.

I already know mine doesn't have one! :)

I was just wondering HOW do I get it off?

daddioX2
09-17-2009, 06:37 AM
Jack, here are some links on tennis-warehouse explaining that.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Customizing/customize.html

If your grip doesn't come of too easily and you damage it, you may need to regrep when done.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Regripping/Regripping.html

JackB1
09-17-2009, 08:12 AM
Jack, here are some links on tennis-warehouse explaining that.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Customizing/customize.html

If your grip doesn't come of too easily and you damage it, you may need to regrep when done.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Regripping/Regripping.html

thanks, but that link explains nothing about getting a buttcap off.

AG30
09-17-2009, 03:27 PM
My Ozone Tour seems to have a glossy buttcap with no trap door. Anyone know how to get this off to put weight inside?

The prince glossy buttcaps are not stickers. The top part may be but you can still remove the entire thing. The buttcap has a slide in/lock configuration.

to remove, lift gently and slide out from top of P going down

shamaho
05-28-2012, 03:07 PM
The prince glossy buttcaps are not stickers. The top part may be but you can still remove the entire thing. The buttcap has a slide in/lock configuration.

to remove, lift gently and slide out from top of P going down

Actually on the Prince Graphite Exo3, the buttcap is glossy and removing it, reveals just a sealed plastic "bottom", no sliding thing, no trap door, nothing.

Also, I tried removing the buttcap, but the staples are placed so far down and stapled so firmly that I cannot remove the staples without breaking something...

help anybody ? I really need to place weights on the bottom of the handle...

db10s
05-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Take the grip off if you need to put lead on that badly.

shamaho
05-30-2012, 02:50 PM
I did take.the grip off.l, but like I said I.cant find a way to take.the buttcap staples off easily, and I'm afraid to.break the buttcap or damage the grip base material..

scotus
05-30-2012, 03:04 PM
I did take.the grip off.l, but like I said I.cant find a way to take.the buttcap staples off easily, and I'm afraid to.break the buttcap or damage the grip base material..

You need a flat micro screwdriver and a hammer.

Use the hammer to tap the screw driver under the staple and then use leverage to lift off the staple.

shamaho
05-31-2012, 02:08 PM
You need a flat micro screwdriver and a hammer.

Use the hammer to tap the screw driver under the staple and then use leverage to lift off the staple.

Nice tio, I might just try that. Thanks!

corbind
08-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Anyone else find the EXO3 sticks don't have removable butt caps?

corbind
12-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Yea I took one of mine apart and there is no trap door. Under the "P" logo is the black butt cap. I suppose I could Dremmel a hole in it or use a utility knife.

Bud
12-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Yea I took one of mine apart and there is no trap door. Under the "P" logo is the black butt cap. I suppose I could Dremmel a hole in it or use a utility knife.

Remove the grip and then pull out the staples holding it on. After you finish whatever it is you're doing - staple it back on and re-grip. Another option is to use another brand of butt cap with a trap door if you're experimenting around with weight/balance.

BHBeguile
12-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Sorry, I read the title of the thread and thought it was about a little man wearing purple --sless chaps. Moving on...

Tamiya
12-14-2013, 10:41 PM
Anyone else find the EXO3 sticks don't have removable butt caps?

I recently pulled one off my EXO3 Graphite & it had no trapdoor.

Wanted to confirm if it was a genuine factory 28" :-|

corbind
12-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Remove the grip and then pull out the staples holding it on. After you finish whatever it is you're doing - staple it back on and re-grip. Another option is to use another brand of butt cap with a trap door if you're experimenting around with weight/balance.

Yea I know well what they look underneath as I've replaced the grips on 7 of my frames. Yet when I remove the grips later the (synthetic) grip is essentially ripped up and useless. So I have to spend another ten bucks for a new one so I'd rather just cut into the butt if needed. I have a used Prince frame sitting in my close maybe I'll just mess around with it. Either take the staples out or Dremmel the plastic under the "P" symbol.

The "P" symbol comes out so it would actually be pretty easy to cut the plastic underneath leaving a slight lip so the "P" could attach back on.