PDA

View Full Version : lead tape on rackets--health hazard

tennispal
08-02-2008, 11:04 PM
hey guys i just put about 3 grams at 12 o clock on my npro open. its working out great. the thing is, i pick up the ball with my shoe and the tip of the racket, and i just realized that the ball touches the lead every time. do you think this could be a potential health hazard?

is lead tape in general a health hazard?

thanks in advance

Swan Song
08-02-2008, 11:08 PM
hey guys i just put about 3 grams at 12 o clock on my npro open. its working out great. the thing is, i pick up the ball with my shoe and the tip of the racket, and i just realized that the ball touches the lead every time. do you think this could be a potential health hazard?

thanks in advance

the tape touches an open wound or if you ingest it by mouth. Other than that, lead tape touching a ball should not be that bad. If it bothers you, put the same amount of lead you put on at 12 o'clock underneath the bumperguard when you replace it.

Deuce
08-02-2008, 11:44 PM

thanks in advance

the tape touches an open wound or if you ingest it by mouth. Other than that, lead tape touching a ball should not be that bad. If it bothers you, put the same amount of lead you put on at 12 o'clock underneath the bumperguard when you replace it.
Or - simply - put - a - piece - of - electric - tape - over - the - lead - tape.

There really should be a section of this message board titled 'Please Think For Me'.
Over half the posts could easily fit in there.

Tony Mac
08-03-2008, 12:10 AM
I thought it wasn't really made of lead, isn't it made out of zinc?

10sfreak
08-03-2008, 09:12 AM
LOL! Some people think lead is plutonium or some other deadly substance...

hoodjem
08-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Touching your shoe?

Ha ha ha, that's a good one. (Just don't eat it.)

onehandbh
08-03-2008, 09:44 AM

thanks in advance

I recently switched to just using head tape instead. It's
fairly heavy and doesn't require that much to increase the
weight.

Not sure how hazardous lead is by casual contact.
I suppose if you lined the inside of your breakfast
cereal bowl with lead to increase its swing weight
then you might eventually start having some problems.

Miami Tiburon
08-03-2008, 09:49 AM
I just think no one should eat it.It can be a tuff thing to do cause it does look delicious on my TF 310

s7evin
08-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Man can learn something on these forums:
DON'T EAT BALLS!!!

hoodjem
08-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Which taste better: Dunlop or Slazenger?

(We all know Wilsons taste like garbage.)

MAX PLY
08-03-2008, 11:01 AM

thanks in advance

I am so sorry. Who is your next of kin?

Bud
08-03-2008, 11:54 AM

thanks in advance

Don't lick your shoe.

Bud
08-03-2008, 11:55 AM
I thought it wasn't really made of lead, isn't it made out of zinc?

If so, it would probably be called zinc tape.

Return_Ace
08-03-2008, 12:27 PM
If so, it would probably be called zinc tape.

Just like the "graphite" of a pencil right ? ;) :lol:

Passingshot
08-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Is it a problem that I put lead on the head of my spoon to make it more head heavy, for deeper penetration into my cereal?

CashDudeHomie
08-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Only in California! XP

Rorsach
08-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Is it a problem that I put lead on the head of my spoon to make it more head heavy, for deeper penetration into my cereal?

Something like that, only replace the spoon and the cereal with something else ;)

Passingshot
08-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Something like that, only replace the spoon and the cereal with something else ;)

That made me actually laugh out loud

tennispal
08-03-2008, 01:14 PM
ok you guys obviously dont get my concern. lead touches ball. hand touches ball. there you go.

Rorsach
08-03-2008, 01:25 PM
It's just microscopic amounts. If you're concerned about it, just remember to wash your hands after you've played.
And don't put your fingers in your mouth before you've done that. Or do as Deuce said and put normal tape over the lead.

Just one thing: If you're planning to be around kids after you've handled lead, washing is very important. kids have an extremely low tolerance to lead. If i come from the shooting range, a shower and fresh clothes are a must before i allow myself to hug my kids.

Bud
08-03-2008, 01:54 PM
It's just microscopic amounts. If you're concerned about it, just remember to wash your hands after you've played.
And don't put your fingers in your mouth before you've done that. Or do as Deuce said and put normal tape over the lead.

Just one thing: If you're planning to be around kids after you've handled lead, washing is very important. kids have an extremely low tolerance to lead. If i come from the shooting range, a shower and fresh clothes are a must before i allow myself to hug my kids.

Hugs not drugs! 8-)

superstition
08-03-2008, 02:04 PM
As mentioned, kids have a very low lead tolerance because lead hampers neuron development. As kids' brains are growing rapidly the amount of impairment lead causes is higher than in adults. However, adults' brains continue to grow neural pathways so lead is a problem for them as well. Most lead poisoning is chronic and therefore difficult to perceive as it's incremental and easy to miss. It causes lowered IQ, behavioral problems, and the like — things that could easily be dismissed as "personality".

Lead poisoning is a huge problem in inner cities like Cincinnati where 80% or more of the children were found to have elevated levels of lead in their blood.

If you handle lead tape, be sure to wash thoroughly afterward. Lead is a very soft metal and will rub off on things. Put lead tape on the inside of the hoop, not on the outside where balls can hit it.

DrumWizOHBD
08-03-2008, 05:27 PM
I was always told to wear rubber gloves when handling lead tape. "It has been known to cause birth defects in the state of California". <--Have you guys ever seen this quote on power plugs to just about any electrical appliance sold in CA? You can use a lightwieght paint to cover the lead to create a barrier between you and your skin. And as mentioned above, kids are more succeptable adverse reactions to lead and other heavy metals in their systems. Touching the tape shouldn't shouldn't cause any real severe reactions to an adult, however long-term contact should be advised against. Some children will have a skin reactions to handling fishing weights......and lead tape for tennis racquets, as far as I know, IS made of actually pb lead.

jiericji
08-03-2008, 06:49 PM
well since the question has been fairly adequately answered i wanna pose a question... why dont they just switch away from lead. its not like its that special and cant be replaced by another material.

superstition
08-03-2008, 07:10 PM
its not like its that special and cant be replaced by another material.
It is special because it's an element, not a material.

nCode747
08-03-2008, 08:39 PM
or you can cover the lead tape with scotch tape or somthing

Zielmann
08-03-2008, 08:53 PM
I understand your general concern about this. But there's nothing to worry about. (Unless, as others have said, you eat it).

When the lead touches the ball, there might only be a few ions transferred from lead to ball. Most of those will just be stuck on the ball. When you pick it up, you might get a tiny bit on you (talking very small percent of what was transferred to the ball to begin with).

Now, of that much lead, even if you licked your fingers, you wouldn't ingest all those molecules. By this point, I wouldn't be concerned at all.

If it bothers you that much, just wash your hands after you play (mine sweat enough I do anyhow...). It's not like it's going to spread like germs. Germs are organisms, they can reproduce and move. Lead is a non-living thing. It's molecules will just sit there, and aren't going to spread or reproduce on their own.

Oh, and on the subject of germs... You're probably more likely to get an infection from the germs you get after touching the ball after it has hit the ground than you are to see any effects of lead exposure. And I've never head of anybody getting sick from holding a used tennis ball.

Blame the media. They've created a nation of hypochondriacs and germophobes.

Deuce
08-03-2008, 09:18 PM
well since the question has been fairly adequately answered i wanna pose a question... why dont they just switch away from lead. its not like its that special and cant be replaced by another material.
Rather than continuing to be paranoid and terrified, bring your lead tape to the nearest nuclear waste disposal plant, and then go buy yourself a roll of magnet tape.
Magnet tape is magnet with one side that is sticky.
I've been using this for years - because it is roughly 1/10th the cost of lead tape. I've never had any troubles with it coming off the racquet.
It can be cut to fit easily.
I buy mine in the 'art' section of dollar stores. I get about a yard for a buck.

superstition
08-03-2008, 09:40 PM
only be a few ions

all those molecules.

It's molecules will just sit there
Metallic lead tape is not a matter of ions or molecules.

Do you have any evidence, or just speculation to support your assertions?

Bud
08-04-2008, 01:12 AM

It is special because it's an element, not a material.

Lead is used to customize racquets due to its high density and malleability. These properties allow very thin strips of lead to be easily attached to the frame. An equivalent weight of flexible magnetic tape (assuming the same length), would be approximately 3 times the thickness of the lead strip.

Density of lead - 11.34 g/cc (cubic centimeter)
Density of iron - 7.87 g/cc
Density of flexible magnetic tape - 3.65 g/cc

0d1n
08-04-2008, 02:01 AM
Or - simply - put - a - piece - of - electric - tape - over - the - lead - tape.

There really should be a section of this message board titled 'Please Think For Me'.
Over half the posts could easily fit in there.

I particularly love the "My racket is 12.x ounces. Could somebody "translate" that to grams for me??"

autumn_leaf
08-04-2008, 05:49 AM
i use magnetic strips when i read Deuce's threads/posts b4, but mine doesn't stick well so i just put electric tape over it, much cheaper and no health hazard.

also there are at least 3 threads asking the same question going back years...

DrumWizOHBD
08-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Is the magnetic tape thick? Or would you use several layers to equal the weight of lead tape?

onehandbh
08-04-2008, 12:15 PM
i use magnetic strips when i read Deuce's threads/posts b4, but mine doesn't stick well so i just put electric tape over it, much cheaper and no health hazard.

also there are at least 3 threads asking the same question going back years...

Warning to those thinking about magnetic tape. It does not stay on very
well. If you have a decently fast swing speed, it will eventually come off
or get loose even if you use tape. b/c the magnetic tape is MUCH thicker
than lead tape or head tape, the ratio of mass to adhesive is much higher
so it won't stick as well. Head tape is fairly heavy and seems
to work for me.

max
08-04-2008, 12:40 PM
This lead question always gets asked.

It would take MASSIVE INGESTION over LONG PERIODS of time for you to start getting ill. Think "becoming a lead miner".

I guarantee this: start stroking your lead tape from today until 2011, and perhaps you'll start seeing some ill effects. Do this at least 8 hours a day.

The problem with lead has always been that children are MUCH more susceptible to illness from lead; they feel the effects quicker and the effects are more lasting. AND there was a time in America when paints had lead in them (to kill possible mold growth), and children were eating flaking paint chips. But that kind of paint was outlawed years ago.

supertrex
08-04-2008, 12:45 PM
lol... paranoia... if you think lead is a health hazard then dont use it.

just think about those people who package them and QC or use them like " pros " after 15 20 yrs.... up to you.

superstition
08-04-2008, 12:55 PM
It would take MASSIVE INGESTION over LONG PERIODS of time for you to start getting ill. Think "becoming a lead miner".
"Ill" as in passing the threshold between a chronic hidden problem and one that's obvious. There is a lead threshold for adults where physiological symptoms become much more obvious. But, that doesn't mean that anything prior to that threshold is safe. Lead hampers neural development, even in small amounts.

The problem with lead has always been that children are MUCH more susceptible to illness from lead; they feel the effects quicker and the effects are more lasting. AND there was a time in America when paints had lead in them (to kill possible mold growth), and children were eating flaking paint chips. But that kind of paint was outlawed years ago.
It's not just eating chips that's the problem. The primary method of getting lead into people's bloodstreams now is the sandblasting/demolition of old buildings. That is why inner city kids in Cincinnati have such high lead levels - not from eating paint chips.

Further, just because the effect of lead is greatly magnified in kids' brains because their brains are growing rapidly doesn't mean lead is innocuous in adults. It's just that the effect is more difficult to perceive and even in children the effects can easily be dismissed as "personality".

superstition
08-04-2008, 12:56 PM
lol... paranoia... if you think lead is a health hazard then dont use it.
lol... ad hominem... with no actual evidence.

max
08-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Mountain out of a molehill.

superstition
08-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Mountain out of a molehill.
Evidence?

If you or anyone else can prove that applying lead tape all over the front of a racquet's hoop (instead of inside the hoop) is risk-free, then please post it. Speculation isn't evidence. What is factual is that lead is an incremental neurotoxin that has a very long half-life in the body, symptoms that are easily missed with chronic poisoning, and that it is very soft and will rub off on things.

Lead tape should be just fine if it's handled with care and put on the inside of the hoop. But, that's different from treating it as if it's perfectly safe.

Functionc
08-04-2008, 02:30 PM
wow.... science out of tennis.... :D well i personally think unless it is nessassary or don't use the tape.... if you're so worry about the hazard i mean ppsshhh lol

Pleepers
08-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Companies could not manufacture this unless it was safe.

backhand
08-04-2008, 03:39 PM
There have been other threads about this. I collaborate with people who study the effects of lead on human health. Many of you posting in this thread are just blowing smoke. Short version of reality, and next time OP, please do a search:

1) Anybody who thinks it would take "massive ingestion" over "long periods of time" for lead to cause illness, or that it must be safe because we can buy it in stores, or that they handle it all the time, never take precautions, and still feel fine, are good candidates for the Darwin award.

2) Science for the rest (skip this para if your eyes begin to glaze): Lead is a powerful neurotoxin and disrupts a number of enzymatic pathways in the body. Its clinical significance is particularly tied to its blockage of the pathways that incorporate iron into heme (the functional center of hemoglobin, which carries our oxygen, as well as the key to numerous cellular oxidative pathways.) Lead inhibits sperm formation and fertility, and increases risk of miscarriages in women. Chronic exposure to exceedingly small amounts has been associated with renal hypertension and elevated risk of heart disease.

Long term low level exposure in lab animals, as well as human children and adults has also been associated with reduced cognitive performance, and reduced attentiveness and focus. These effects may appear even years after exposure. In humans, lead toxicity is associated with risk of depression. Neural effects are unlikely to be obvious to the sufferer until a substantial level of impairment is reached.

Recent research indicates that there is no threshold or lower minimum exposure that is "safe;" the effects appear to be linear and cumulative. Many are permanent. The fact that exposure does not produce immediate clinical effects, like food poisoning, does not mean lead is benign, or that it is not affecting you.

3) The lead that we encounter in tennis is neither in an ionized nor a molecular state, unless you plan to vaporize it first. Adults tend to get lead exposure through inhalation of dust in factory settings or where leaded gasoline spills occurred in the past, or through dermal exposure.

In fact, chronic dermal exposure through hobbies such as fishing and shooting is well established. People who prepare and weight racquets on a regular basis, especially shop techs, should take the precautions noted by by several posters earlier. Even amateurs like most here should wash their hands with a soft brush immediately after handling tape, and certainly before handling food or drink.

4) Lead appears especially hazardous to younger children whose brains are still growing. The primary exposure is through ingesting lead via paint dust in older houses. But according to the CDC, children also are at risk if their parents are involved in lead using activities. This clearly would include regular leading of racquets. If you are a parent or around children, I would recommend both hand washing and changing clothes. Obviously, you never allow children access to the tape or even to the immediate work area where it is being applied.

I hope this clears up some of the murk.

Pleepers
08-04-2008, 03:46 PM
There have been other threads about this. I collaborate with people who study the effects of lead on human health. Many of you posting in this thread are just blowing smoke. Short version of reality, and next time OP, please do a search:

1) Anybody who thinks it would take "massive ingestion" over "long periods of time" for lead to cause illness, or that it must be safe because we can buy it in stores, or that they handle it all the time, never take precautions, and still feel fine, are good candidates for the Darwin award.

2) Science for the rest (skip this para if your eyes begin to glaze): Lead is a powerful neurotoxin and disrupts a number of enzymatic pathways in the body. Its clinical significance is particularly tied to its blockage of the pathways that incorporate iron into heme (the functional center of hemoglobin, which carries our oxygen, as well as the key to numerous cellular oxidative pathways.) Lead inhibits sperm formation and fertility, and increases risk of miscarriages in women. Chronic exposure to exceedingly small amounts has been associated with renal hypertension and elevated risk of heart disease.

Long term low level exposure in lab animals, as well as human children and adults has also been associated with reduced cognitive performance, and reduced attentiveness and focus. These effects may appear even years after exposure. In humans, lead toxicity is associated with risk of depression. Neural effects are unlikely to be obvious to the sufferer until a substantial level of impairment is reached.

Recent research indicates that there is no threshold or lower minimum exposure that is "safe;" the effects appear to be linear and cumulative. Many are permanent. The fact that exposure does not produce immediate clinical effects, like food poisoning, does not mean lead is benign, or that it is not affecting you.

3) The lead that we encounter in tennis is neither in an ionized nor a molecular state, unless you plan to vaporize it first. Adults tend to get lead exposure through inhalation of dust in factory settings or where leaded gasoline spills occurred in the past, or through dermal exposure.

In fact, chronic dermal exposure through hobbies such as fishing and shooting is well established. People who prepare and weight racquets on a regular basis, especially shop techs, should take the precautions noted by by several posters earlier. Even amateurs like most here should wash their hands with a soft brush immediately after handling tape, and certainly before handling food or drink.

4) Lead appears especially hazardous to younger children whose brains are still growing. The primary exposure is through ingesting lead via paint dust in older houses. But according to the CDC, children also are at risk if their parents are involved in lead using activities. This clearly would include regular leading of racquets. If you are a parent or around children, I would recommend both hand washing and changing clothes. Obviously, you never allow children access to the tape or even to the immediate work area where it is being applied.

I hope this clears up some of the murk.

Its a conspiracy for tennis companies to slowly kill people who play their sport and EPA, FDA, and any other watch-dog to let tennis players (and golfers) DIE I TELL YOU DIE! :twisted:

max
08-04-2008, 05:27 PM
It would take massive ingestion over a long period of time for you to become seriously ill.

Zielmann
08-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Evidence?

If you or anyone else can prove that applying lead tape all over the front of a racquet's hoop (instead of inside the hoop) is risk-free, then please post it. Speculation isn't evidence. What is factual is that lead is an incremental neurotoxin that has a very long half-life in the body, symptoms that are easily missed with chronic poisoning, and that it is very soft and will rub off on things.

Lead tape should be just fine if it's handled with care and put on the inside of the hoop. But, that's different from treating it as if it's perfectly safe.

Give me one lead poisoning that has been confirmed to have been witout a doubt caused by lead tape on a tennis racquet.

I could say the same about choking to death on a feather while sleeping under a down comforter. Where's the proof that it can't happen? If you can't prove that it can't happen, down comforters should be banned from all sales...
In science, you can only prove that something can happen. You can theorize that it won't. And theories have become well accepted, after not being disproven over many, many years. But still just one experiment could disprove any theory out there.

As for my comment about the ions/molecules... Yes, ions would be the wrong word. Though the exposed metal is prone to ionizing. Many metals form an oxide layer (i.e. rust on iron). That oxide layer is composed of oxygen ions and the metal's ions.

As for the physical transfer from lead tape to the ball... You aren't getting visible chunks of metal on the ball. Yet I agree that there is still some transfer. This would be microscopic pieces of lead (aka molecules or even atoms).

Oh, if you're afraid of the lead in lead tape, don't go near a car battery. They are lead-acid batteries, and have much larger amounts of lead in them than a lead-taped racquet ever will...

Deuce
08-04-2008, 10:31 PM
to work for me.
You'd need a hell of a lot of head tape to produce a significant amount of weight. It would also be very difficult to concentrate it in one or two small areas.
Also, what you write about magnet tape is bull.
Lead tape ia about .2mm thick. Magnet tape is, at most, 1mm thick.
Anyone who thinks 1mm is thick is... well... thick.
And, as I mentioned earlier, my magnet tape has always stuck fine on the racquet, and stayed stuck. Obviously, this experience could be different, as there are surely many different magnet tapes.
But even if your magnet tape doesn't stick as well as mine does, it's easy to simply put electric tape, or grip finishing tape, etc., over it.

^ You don't know much about how life works today.

Pleepers
08-05-2008, 11:33 AM
^ You don't know much about how life works today.

I actually live in reality...not: "A not so parallel universe..."

volusiano
08-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Don't use those balls to play catch with your dog either.:)

RanchDressing
08-05-2008, 01:37 PM

is LEAD tape in general a health hazard?

thanks in advance

ok SO notice the part where it says LEAD?!?!?!
lead has been known to cause cancer. Just wash your hands after you work with it and dont like rub it in any cuts or anything and you should be fine. OH and dont eat it...
(i used to joke with people about the warning on the box for the tape "dude its called LEAD tape, of course it contains LEAD" and now it has lost its funny)

sureshs
08-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Oh, if you're afraid of the lead in lead tape, don't go near a car battery. They are lead-acid batteries, and have much larger amounts of lead in them than a lead-taped racquet ever will...

Yeah but they are SEALED

autumn_leaf
08-05-2008, 06:33 PM
to work for me.

well the strips are thick. i use electric tape. it's black, kinda like duct tape, i use that to hold the strips in place and it never comes off.

the strips by themselves are thick and the one i bought does come off easily, that's why i use tape.

pr0n8r
08-05-2008, 07:09 PM
cigarettes, guns, swords, chainsaws, gasoline, alcohol, bikini wax, motorcycles, fireworks

Oh, and about the lead tape, unless you can't help but to lick it between points, it's fine.

Zielmann
08-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Yeah but they are SEALED

Haha. That's a good one. Car batteries are very prone to corrosion and leakage. And I could go on and on about things that contain lead that we use everyday and don't think twice about. Electric wires? (most notably christmas lights). Also includes those high-voltage lines that stretch the country. Many other electronics use lead solder (though lead-free solder is becoming more widely used now). Fishing sinkers and munitions (for the outdoorsy folk)?

There's so many more present sources of lead than the small amount of lead tape on your racquet. And you have to worry more about lead in the form of powders and dust that you could breathe in. You're not gonna breathe in a strip of lead tape.

Not saying the stuff is perfectly safe. Yes, wash your hands after handling it and all. I mean, it is lead. But I also don't think you should worry that much about it, when there's many other sources of lead in our lives.

spkyEngrish
08-05-2008, 10:41 PM

LOL

Companies manufacture rat poison too. Wanna mix that into your cereal next time, since it's "safe"?

Zielmann
08-06-2008, 06:51 AM
I think we need to define what we're calling "safe".

I agree that ingesting lead tape or rat poison would not be safe. Neither would bleach, windex, light bulbs or mp3 players...

That's why they have warnings and instructions on potentially hazardous products. If you keep the rat poison away from food, and handle it carefully and wash your hands well after handling it, you're going to be fine. If you take care not to get bleach on your skin or in your eyes, and wash your hands awell after using it (especially if some gets on your skin). You'll be fine. Just don't mix it with ammonia...

Bottom line: They aren't going to manufacture someting that they can't find a safe way to use. If you're a smart consumer, you will read the packaging and heed the warnings. And when you do that, then it is, in fact, a fairly safe product.

So I agree, lead tape and rat poison aren't safe. But just because that misuse could lead to health problems doesn't mean it is going to happen. Follow the directions. Be smart. Wash your hands. And it's all going to be fine.

Bubba
08-06-2008, 10:30 AM
I particularly love the "My racket is 12.x ounces. Could somebody "translate" that to grams for me??"

Dude... you can't be serious!?! Okay, learn for yourself... Google the following:

"12 ounces to grams"

BTW... you get:
12 ounces = 340.194277 grams

HappyLefty
08-06-2008, 12:27 PM
ok you guys obviously dont get my concern. lead touches ball. hand touches ball. there you go.

If you start feeling some erection problems, maybe the root cause is because you are touching the balls too much.
In that case, use examination gloves when play tennis.

Pleepers
08-06-2008, 03:28 PM
LOL

Companies manufacture rat poison too. Wanna mix that into your cereal next time, since it's "safe"?

No I dont smart *****. You miss the fact that companies are allowed to manufacture rat poison for the mere use of killing rats and not to be smeared on your hands and/or put into your body. While lead tape is manufactured with this in mind when considering its uses. No where on a package of rat poison does it say: "go ahead and sprinkle this on your cereal," on the contrary it has a warning lable saying something to the effect of: "if ingested consult medical attention immediately." Lead tape is only dangerous in California :shock:

AlpineCadet
08-06-2008, 03:32 PM
cigarettes, guns, swords, chainsaws, gasoline, alcohol, bikini wax, motorcycles, fireworks

Oh, and about the lead tape, unless you can't help but to lick it between points, it's fine.
nice post.