PDA

View Full Version : Separated shoulder - how long for recovery?

bank5
08-04-2008, 08:08 AM
I messed up a jump mountain biking on Saturday and landed on the top of my shoulder. I got xrays yesterday and the doctor said I tore my AC joint (grade 3). I'm going to avoid surgery and see if it gets better with some serious PT.

Has any else had this injury? How long did it take to get back on the courts and did you have a full recovery?

coloskier
08-04-2008, 10:49 AM
I messed up a jump mountain biking on Saturday and landed on the top of my shoulder. I got xrays yesterday and the doctor said I tore my AC joint (grade 3). I'm going to avoid surgery and see if it gets better with some serious PT.

Has any else had this injury? How long did it take to get back on the courts and did you have a full recovery?

3 months minimum, with heavy rehab.

spkyEngrish
08-06-2008, 03:22 AM
That sucks. I tore mine out skiing. Took me over 4 months of rest and rehab to get it where I could swing a racquet again. YMMV depending on your age and many other factors. Best of luck, and don't even think about rushing back into the game. You don't want any nerve damage or to increase the severity of your soft tissue problems.

Nellie
08-06-2008, 01:38 PM
3 months of rest;
2 months of rehab before hitting grounds strokes
1 year+ before serving
2 years+ before serving without discomfort.

tennisdad65
08-07-2008, 01:46 PM
3 months of rest;
2 months of rehab before hitting grounds strokes
1 year+ before serving
2 years+ before serving without discomfort.

wow... 1 year b4 serving.. that will be tough to go through :cry: I feel the OP pain.
maybe time to start practicing with your other hand..

Nellie
08-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Nah - serve underhanded!

netman
08-07-2008, 06:42 PM
The shoulder is a marvelous suspension joint. Nothing but muscles, ligaments and tendons holding it together. Since it is involved in so many mundane daily actions, it can take quite a while to heal. If you try to push recovery you run the risk of long term damage that will haunt you forever.

Do the PT religiously and be patient. It will heal. Unfortunately the tennis serve is one of the worst things you can do to a shoulder. Until you can serve with no pain, you run the risk of further damage. So use common sense as you ease back into tennis, listen to you shoulder and don't push it. You'll know when it is ready for full speed.

baseline08thrasher
08-08-2008, 12:22 AM
I feel very bad for you.
I wish you a good recovery, that would be very bad.
One tip though: if you can't serve when you start to play again, develop a sneaky little slize underhand one, you will beat all of the league players, they will go bezerk.