PDA

View Full Version : Heat & Cramps

jgn1013
08-05-2008, 06:52 AM
This Sunday I played in 95 deg heat, started getting quad cramps during the middle of my 2nd set, by the 3rd, my quads where locking up, couldn't continue. :(

I though i was prepared, drank 1.5+ gallons of water the day before, and on Sunday I continue drinking water throughout the day. Not sure why, but I do have a history of calf cramps on hot days, but never quad cramps.

I'm pretty fit, but maybe not "heat" fit. My diet is pretty good, but I don't consume a lot of salty foods. I never slat my food, and rarely add table salt when making dinner, etc.

I've done some research about hydration and decided I'm going to try a product called "nuun". It's a hydration tablet that dissolves in 16 oz of water. I only drink water during play, but am considering using a sports drink, ie gatorade. I really prefer water, not in love with the taste of sports drink but if it will prevent me from getting cramps during play, I'll do anything.

Anyone else have any suggestions on what I should do?

Ronaldo
08-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Only cramped once but eat a banana nearly everyday and carried tomatoes in the past in my bag. Lucky enough to play in the evening and avoid the heat.

maximo
08-05-2008, 07:51 AM
You know what they say, an apple a day keeps the bugs away. :)

Ronaldo
08-05-2008, 08:35 AM
You know what they say, an apple a day keeps the bugs away. :)

An apple is a great alternative to coffee, tea, or other stimulating drinks.

maximo
08-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Apparetly coffee can reduce the risk of colon cancer and a few other diseases.

Ronaldo
08-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Apparetly coffee can reduce the risk of colon cancer and a few other diseases.

Bet All-bran cereal will too, take JohnnyMac's 10 day challenge.

maximo
08-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Bet All-bran cereal will too, take JohnnyMac's 10 day challenge.

I hate All-bran cereal doesn't taste of anything IMO, however i guess its healthy.

jgn1013
08-05-2008, 09:57 AM
ok guys can we get back to helping me out with my cramp problems?

albino smurf
08-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Keep taking sips of water while you are playing. I usually start to feel crampish after about 2.5-3 hours.