PDA

View Full Version : palm facing upwards?

chrisab508
02-21-2004, 02:39 PM
i noticed in another post, as well as in the pros, that after htey toss the ball for the serve and they're about to swing it, their palm is facing upwards, it looks kinda weird but i was wondering what that does?

Cypo
02-22-2004, 09:27 AM
If you just let the ball continue upward when your arm is full stretched, the palm will be left facing upwards. IMO this is a more reproducible toss than any flicking with the wrist, but styles vary.

Bungalo Bill
02-22-2004, 09:32 AM
It is a way to keep that arm up as long as possible and to feel your rib cage stretch and your stomach muscles about to help propel you into the shot. It also helps in the front hip stretch, and coiling of the body.

As soon as the hitting arm begins its journey to the ball, the tossing arm will start going down and tuck in the chest upper stomach area to act as a braking mechanism for the shoulders to stop or slow down the rotation and cause the acceleration of the hitting arm towards the ball.

NbladeTopspin
12-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Palm up does not help you at all. Go on edge because going palm up causes all types of shoulder and wrist problems.

The Gorilla
12-24-2006, 05:15 PM
palm up:more spin,smoother,more efficiant motion.
palm down:less spin,jerkier serving motion,sore shoulder if hit very hard and flat.

EliteNinja
12-24-2006, 09:15 PM
i noticed in another post, as well as in the pros, that after htey toss the ball for the serve and they're about to swing it, their palm is facing upwards, it looks kinda weird but i was wondering what that does?

After I toss my ball, I have my fingers point up and my wrist is not bent. I hold the ball using my fingertips and thumb and do not use my palm to "lift" the ball up causing the ball to spin (finger roll).

Sampras doesn't have his palm up, nor does Federer.
Yet I believe Agassi(?) Hewitt(?) and Roddick do.

It's a matter of preference I think.

NbladeTopspin
12-24-2006, 09:17 PM
palm up:more spin,smoother,more efficiant motion.
palm down:less spin,jerkier serving motion,sore shoulder if hit very hard and flat.

You are completely wrong on that

The Gorilla
12-25-2006, 01:57 AM
You are completely wrong on that

sry,I thought he was talking about his racquet hand.