PDA

View Full Version : TRANSFERING - Please Help!!

teamusa
08-08-2008, 07:18 PM
First and foremost, if you can't be constructive or helpful... don't comment because I know many of us can be insulting and overly sarcastic to say the least.

I'm going to be a junior at a university where the men's tennis team got into a bit of trouble and was suspended from the NCAA (wasn't a powerhouse team anyway). This happened the year before I went. There was no official ruling as to how long the suspension was going to last. So I went to the university because it was my number one choice school regardless of tennis. My freshman year I played USTA tournaments and kept in shape but focused on school as there was no team. My sophomore year, a team was formed and practices were held, but the university had to petition to play collegiate matches and in all about 5 were played.
I'm sick and tired of letting my competitve career go to waste. Yes, I could train on my own or with a coach or hitting partners and play USTA/ITA/ITF tournaments until I graduate and then play after that until whenever.
BUT I WANT TO PLAY COLLEGIATE TENNIS! My competitive spirit is ready to bust!
I'm not sure what the rules are, but I was never recruited to play the my current university as I walked on. Due to the NCAA violation, I never signed any contracts or anything. So technically, I have YET TO EVEN PLAY an official NCAA match or be a part of a real NCAA team.
At this point, I don't care where I play - D1, D2, D3, NAIA. As a junior I played the European junior circuit and was the number 2 district player at 16s and 18s in the US.
I've emailed several D3 and a few top 30 D2 schools' coaches letting them know I was interested in playing. I'm not sure how to go about transfering schools as I'm not noticed in NCAA competition.
I'm willing to do anything to play the next two, possibly three years of collegiate tennis. I will take a year off or wait until the spring semester. I will do what is required.
Time is running out as I go back to my current university in one week almost.
I NEED HELP!! I am desperate to un-do the biggest two years regret of my life.

federer envies me
08-08-2008, 08:28 PM
just email your top colleges and hope you get feed back. Im sorry your team got suspended... That sucks!!!

10isDad
08-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Perhaps you can find a contact on the NCAA website that might be able to answer your questions on how much eligibility you have.

teamusa
08-08-2008, 09:37 PM
yeah that's pretty much what i'm doing. i sent out 20-30 emails and if i get nothing i guess i will just bag it up.

teamusa
08-08-2008, 09:39 PM
i'm still in the 8 semesters out of 10 rule. so definately the next two, and possibly a third year.
Perhaps you can find a contact on the NCAA website that might be able to answer your questions on how much eligibility you have.

Kaptain Karl
08-09-2008, 06:55 AM
See serveitup's thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=70393) on getting a scholarship. Even if you are not trying for the scholarship the process he describes is very good.

- KK

MLoutch
08-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Were you listed on any offical school rosters??? You said you walked on - did you take part on any official sanctioned Tennis activilty - did you practice? did you take tshirts, uniforms, coaching...etc The eligibilty rules can get murky (for us mortal folk - NCAA says they are clear) and you will need to first find out where you stand at your current school - go to your AD (doubt you will see him or her) or ADA and find out how they have you listed.

Once you start college and get involved with d1 and d2 athletics there are very strict rules on how many total yrs of eligibilty you have. d3 school are a little more flexible. Find out where you stand right now. It's possible you might need a release from your current school to even play anywhere else without sitting out a year.

10isDad
08-09-2008, 02:19 PM
I have a suggestion. Contact Greg Prudhomme at Grand Canyon University. It's a D2 school in Phoenix, Arizona. The school is restarting the men's tennis program.

I'm not certain where he is in the process, but I would bet he's still looking for players. The teams is supposed to be back in the Spring of 2009.

Greg's a really nice guy, great player and a decent coach. From the website:

"COMING SPRING 2009
Grand Canyon University is bringing back men's tennis for the first time in 20 years. Under the direction of head coach Greg Prudhomme, GCU's goal is to build a program that re-establishes a national presence on the tennis courts. GCU will compete at Paseo Racquet Center in Glendale, which is roughly 7-8 miles from campus.
For more information, please contact coach Prudhomme.

Office: # 602.639.6039
Email: gprudhomme@gcu.edu"

JLyon
08-09-2008, 02:44 PM
sounds like you can transfer and have 3 years, using the first year as a RS due to no team available. Tennis is also nice in that you can transfer and play immediately from Spring to Fall, but I believe the NCAA changed a rule that does not allow a mid-season transfer to be immediately eligible.
Good luck on finishing your college career, sounds like you have a great game but have run into some very bad luck.
Get some videos out to coaches, but be cautious they might ask for a release form first from your current school even if you are only a walk-on due to NCAA Regs.
Another thing to note if Pro Tennis is out of the question it might be time to just focus on academics and let your tennis be the stress reliever and have some fun.

junbug
08-09-2008, 07:34 PM
portland state university in portland, OR (big sky conference) ; university of portland (WAC)...i think.
seattle U.
try it out here in the pacific NW. if you like the rain. if you don't like the rain and like the heat. UNLV (big west).
there are plenty of schools here out west where you might be able to fit in. good luck in your search.