PDA

View Full Version : Overtraining?

krprunitennis2
08-08-2008, 09:14 PM
For the past weeks, I've been playing tennis everyday from 5-8/9 PM.

I don't know if I've been overtraining, but I've been feeling many new uhhh sores? idk how to explain it. But I currently have: a sore left wrist, left knee, and just today, I rolled my left ankle. My left quads have been in pain if there is any rapid movement/stretch. My quads feel tight and it feels like the pain is deep (I ice my legs for a bit, but it doesn't really feel like the cold is reaching the pain area). I also have back pains right now (possibly from serving?).

But, I read in magazines that many juniors are training at least 4 hours a day! Even a few of them that live around the area play for a bit longer (and I don't see them wear braces)....

If it is overtraining, what do I do? Ice my joints? Braces? I have an ice/heat pack. What do I do to prevent more injuries?

A few background information:
I'm 16 years old, around 5'8" and around 135 lbs. I've been playing for 2.5 years, always on hardcourt.

baseline08thrasher
08-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Oh my lord.
okay I've trained far more hours than you, and this is kind of a newbie thing, but you are most likely getting used to playing for such a long time and playing at a higher level of tennis.
It's actually uncommon that you have sooo many sores, never seen it, but it's probably because your practicing alot.
You need to strech out before and after practice 5 minutes for every hour you play at least but your pre playing warm up doesn't need to be that long.
Also, I hope your practicing with high intensity because if you don't your practice is almost useless.
You need to make sure you are practicing right too.
You can't just play matches, they don't focus on the different areas.
My coach tells me to:
hit forehand and backhand crosscourts.
Hit forehand and backhand down the lines.
Hit with a partner and have him or her be aggressive and you try to just hold them off and neutralize everything, and vice versa as in you be aggressive and your partner tries to neautralize.
Also do a ton of vollies, quick vollies help.
Do as many serves as possible.
Play a set or two.
Then see what you need to work on most and spend extra time with it.
This stuff does work, seriously.

Gmedlo
08-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Chances are your body just isn't in the type of shape you need to be to play for 4 hours a day. Have you done any weightlifting or interval training? I know after I started lifting, playing tennis has been a cakewalk. Even when I was at a camp, playing 6 hours of tennis a day along with conditioning, I felt no soreness the next morning, which I attribute to lifting. Heck, I don't even get tired in between points at tourneys anymore, and have no problem pulling off three-a-day 2 hour practices.

seb85
08-09-2008, 05:22 AM
You have to work up to these things. You cant just expect your body to go from nothing to 3 hrs per day. How much training were you doing before?

Depending upon your current level of fitness, it may take six months or a year before you are capable of training that hard and long.

That being said, there are some things you can do to help yourself.

1) warm up properly. Do a good dynamic warm up before going on court each time you play- i like to use the one available on the USTA website.

2) warm down. At the end of the session hit some easy balls, focussing on complete relaxation.

3) stretch. After a session, stretch all the muscle groups immediately and then again after an hour. Static stretches should be long and slow- focus on lengthening the muscle, try to imagine it streching as you go. Some people find breathing out whilst doing it helps them to relax.

4) stabilise blood sugar. Immediately after a session, have an energy drink. This should contain sugar, water and salt. Either buy lucozade sport or isostar or something equivalent, or make your own- half orange juice, half water and a pinch of salt. 500ml should be enough.

5) rehydrate. drink some water. Not loads but enough- if you are going to the toilet endlessly it is too much. Usually about 2 litres after a fairly good work out should be enough. (in addition to the water you should be drinking throught your session).

When you get home, you need to eat a balanced meal and then get lots of sleep. Athletes need more sleep than most people because they are working their bodies harder during the day. Additionally, if you are finding that your body is stressed, as you are, cut out alcohol for a while.

edit, just noticed that you are 16 so alcohol shouldn't be too much of an issue, although im still young enough to remember what being 16 is like... ;)

You are asking a lot more of your body than you were a few weeks ago. Give it what it needs and it will respond.

Seb

krprunitennis2
08-09-2008, 05:31 AM
I started lifting weights last year first semester, then I stopped. Idk if that would still help... but I guess I haven't been stretching enough. But I do stretch my legs especially after hitting, and even after eating dinner, I still feel really tired and go to sleep. Then I wake up in the morning and go to school, and even though I had 6-7 hours of sleep, I still fall asleep in class.

chess9
08-09-2008, 05:55 AM
I'd recommend one week OFF, with some light hitting the following week. If you are feeling much better after the two week layoff, then start back. If you are trainging hard for a Fall Tennis team slot, you would probably be better off with just some light hitting, with little running,until school starts in two weeks or so.

You need to rest.

-Robert

krprunitennis2
08-09-2008, 06:03 AM
Should I worry about icing the joints or is just one week off enough?

cncretecwbo
08-09-2008, 06:08 AM
take a shower after and alternate hot/cold water, stretch, drink chocolate milk

krprunitennis2
08-09-2008, 06:33 AM
okayy. Thanks everyone! :)

baseline08thrasher
08-09-2008, 05:25 PM
I don't know if I'm naturally gifted or what but I've been able to hit for four hours straight easily even when I started off playing.