PDA

View Full Version : Please help with elbow tendonitus

BjornBorg
08-09-2008, 12:34 PM
I lift weights, I've gone to a softer string and a less stiff racket. I do wrist curls and other exercises.

Yet, at age 45, I continue to have this chronic pain on the top part of my elbow (right on the bone). I ice it and with Advil, I can get through a match. But, it comes back the next day and just never goes away. I feel a weakness in my grip much of the time unless it's rested and I have the anti-inflammatories in my system.

Can I ever get rid of this? Any suggestions would help. I'm a 5.0 player who hits a pretty big ball. It takes away some of my enjoyment of the game.

chess9
08-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Bjorn:

If you do a search on this forum you will find many threads about tennis elbow. One of them may have something to help you.

But, have you sought the advice of a doctor? We cannot diagnose and treat your malady on the internet. We can guess, and then offer a 'spectacular' remedy (boiled cabbage leaves and licorice root, the last I heard), but you'd waste your time.

Until you see a doctor, stop lifting, and hit lightly with a VERY soft string STRUNG LOW in a flexible frame (ra of 60 or less).

Just my humble opinion.

-Robert

rocky b
08-09-2008, 06:14 PM
I lift weights, I've gone to a softer string and a less stiff racket. I do wrist curls and other exercises.

Yet, at age 45, I continue to have this chronic pain on the top part of my elbow (right on the bone). I ice it and with Advil, I can get through a match. But, it comes back the next day and just never goes away. I feel a weakness in my grip much of the time unless it's rested and I have the anti-inflammatories in my system.

Can I ever get rid of this? Any suggestions would help. I'm a 5.0 player who hits a pretty big ball. It takes away some of my enjoyment of the game.

I am in the same boat switch to a pro kennex with a soft sting and you should be pain free. I tried a poly now my arm is killing me when will I ever learn. You could get a steriod injection which should help or a new therapy where they jab a needle in the area about 5 or 6 times to get the blood to the injured site. If you keep playing with the same racket the pain will never go away. Slice the backhand more for a little while that shoud take the stress off the arm or go to 2 hands

scotus
08-09-2008, 08:30 PM
I am in the same boat switch to a pro kennex with a soft sting and you should be pain free. I tried a poly now my arm is killing me when will I ever learn. You could get a steriod injection which should help or a new therapy where they jab a needle in the area about 5 or 6 times to get the blood to the injured site. If you keep playing with the same racket the pain will never go away. Slice the backhand more for a little while that shoud take the stress off the arm or go to 2 hands

Cortisone injection is not a good idea for tendons. It will take away pain and inflammation for a time but your tendon will get seriously messed up.

tennisdad65
08-09-2008, 08:41 PM
My TE has pretty much gone after switching to 100% Natural gut, flexible racquet, soft gel grip, and low tension. I am slowly increasing tension from 35 to 45 and maybe end up at 50-55 (racquet recommendation is 54-62).

Hard and deep tissue massage & icing 2-3 times a day helps a lot.

Also switched from hitting topspin to more flat and slice. Topspin is only reserved for passing shots now. :)

rocky b
08-10-2008, 04:39 AM
Cortisone injection is not a good idea for tendons. It will take away pain and inflammation for a time but your tendon will get seriously messed up.

Wrong only if you get more then 3 a year one shot is fine. Listen if you come on this board for medical advise its pretty dumb because most of the people here are not medical professionals. I am in the medical field and I would do a cortisone shot if you tried everything else. The reason the pain comes back is because people go right back to the same racket and tension or never fix a flawed stroke so what do you expect to happen

SystemicAnomaly
08-10-2008, 05:08 AM
If the pain is right on the bone as you describe, then it might not be tendinitis at all. Best to have it checked out by an expert -- you may be dealing with something else. I would also suggest staying away from cortisone unless you've really exhausted other options.

larry10s
08-11-2008, 08:02 AM
Agree Strongly.go See A Doctor!!!!!!!!