PDA

View Full Version : what muscles are used?

winter2334
08-09-2008, 02:41 PM
When playing tennis what muscles are being used when hitting a forehand,backhand and serve?

0range
08-09-2008, 03:06 PM
I don't know, but I can tell you that, after months of hard training, my right forearm, my right shoulder, and the back of my right shoulder got pretty big.

So did my calves.

Oh and I use 1hbh.

krprunitennis2
08-09-2008, 03:12 PM
How about the abs, glutes, quads, and back?

0range
08-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Btw if you are thinking of doing weight training on certain muscles to help your forehand/backhand/serve... _I_ would say forget about that.

Lots of tennis practice with correct technique would help more (you will graduately increase your _explosive_power_, not just muscle size and strength), plus some stretching and conditioning.

My serve was absolute crap few months back, but after consistent practice with correct technique, I can now serve harder than many intermediate male students.

Gmedlo
08-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Strengthening only the muscles used for tennis will only increase your chance of injury because of imbalances. You're going to have to strengthen your whole body, then find where your weak spots are.

wyutani
08-09-2008, 06:25 PM
shoulder muscles is no.2. the most imortant is ur core muscle, the one above the stomach.

sphinx780
08-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Quads, calves, forearm, shoulder, back, abs, butt, bi/triceps, etc all factor in to various shots and I'm sure I've missed several others ....

If you're looking to strengthen for tennis, work the whole body evenly...like Gmed said, working just specific groups can lead to imbalance injuries, keeping the body working in unison will help your tennis and overall fitness.

circusmouse
08-21-2008, 10:07 AM
I'll agree with everyone saying that you're better off looking at overall fitness. The easiest answer I can give is "do yoga" (though I don't follow that advice very often myself because I prefer other forms of training). However, I will say that when I got back into tennis after not playing for years, my groin muscles, buttocks, and calves were the sorest.

princemidplus
10-06-2008, 01:24 PM
full body compound exercises are the best. also termed functional exercises. do not do exercises that focus specifically on one muscle, rather work the whole kinetic chain of that muscle you are wanting to stregthen.

to the OP: just about all the muscles in your body work to some degree (some more than others) on the shots you mentioned. Muscles work in tandem - one working concentrically (shortening as it works) and the opposite muscle working eccentrically as it lengthens. eg: biceps and triceps - for you bicep to shorten and contract, your triceps must lengthen and control the movement. biceps thus brings about the movement and triceps allows movement to occur and helps control movement.

SystemicAnomaly
10-07-2008, 02:26 AM
I was going to add my 2 cents here, but it looks like PrinceMP and several others have already covered it pretty well. If you believe that you currently have a muscle imbalance, you might consider exercises to rectify that imbalance. On than that, you should be doing compound (multi-joint, multi-directional) exercises and work on total body fitness.

Focusing on your tennis mechanics (timing & technique) more than strength development is also an excellent suggestion. Instead of just working on standard strength training exercises include some cardio, interval training, and power (speed strength) training -- plyometrics, medicine ball work, rope skipping can all be used to develop explosive muscles.