PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody hear that? (djokovic's racquet)

Leelord337
08-09-2008, 11:55 PM
did anybody catch the commentators on espn 2, i think it was darren cahill when said that djokovic still uses a 20 year old racquet (proof of a paintjob on his k blade), it was during the first set of the nadal/djokovic match

Hokiez
08-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I heard that too. They also referred to Nada's string being old Hurricane that he's been using since he was 12yo or so.

Dubbie
08-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Yeah, and that Nadal's grip size didnt change since he was 12 either.

Cup8489
08-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Yeah, and that Nadal's grip size didnt change since he was 12 either.

11, actually. but hurricane wasn't hurricane when nadal was twelve.

he uses duralast, which may have been produced at that time.

Silent
08-10-2008, 08:27 PM
During that match, I recall Brad Gilbert saying Nadal is using nylon strings (he did mention they were "old Hurricane" strings).

Whatever the name of the string is, he is convinced they are nylon strings.

Cup8489
08-10-2008, 08:31 PM
During that match, I recall Brad Gilbert saying Nadal is using nylon strings (he did mention they were "old Hurricane" strings).

gilbert, as well as all the announcers, know nothing specific about pros' setups. if nadal were to use nylon, even a 15 gauge, he would break it in a matter of minutes. plain and simple. he uses babolat duralast 15L gauge, a first gen poly notorious for string tension loss and string harshness. but one of the most durable polys out there.

2nd_Serve
08-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Well...the tennis announcers usually get thing wrong.

Leelord337
08-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Yeah, I heard that too. They also referred to Nada's string being old Hurricane that he's been using since he was 12yo or so.

he was probably familiar w/hurricane string since he coached andy roddick all those years and andy used a vs gut/pro hurricane hybrid on his racquets.

stanfordtennis alum
08-11-2008, 04:40 PM
djokovic uses the head prestige frame

rubberduckies
08-11-2008, 06:31 PM

No he uses a Wilson custom mold based on his old Liquid Metal Radical.
http://i8.tinypic.com/8fab1gh.jpg

Right after he switched to Wilson sponsorship, he stated publicly on his blog that he tried a bunch of Wilson frames, didn't like any of them, and finally settled on a custom mold that matched his old Head racquet.

LafayetteHitter
08-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Those 2 guys are right on this stuff about as often as I hit an overhead that looks like Sampras and that's not often I assure you.

D. Dokas
08-11-2008, 09:08 PM
almost every pro uses a different racquet to what u buy in shops, dont expect to buy the exact same racquets as the pros

pfchang
08-12-2008, 05:18 AM

they are duralast if that's what gilbert is talking about.

gilbert does talk a lot of bull, but nadal does actually use duralast (not sure if that's nylon though)

nadal said he couldn't control PHT enough

Cup8489
08-12-2008, 07:12 AM
they are duralast if that's what gilbert is talking about.

gilbert does talk a lot of bull, but nadal does actually use duralast (not sure if that's nylon though)

nadal said he couldn't control PHT enough

duralast, like i said before, is a first gen polyester.

pht is quite a bit more powerful, and far softer.

pfchang
08-12-2008, 07:13 AM
oh?
never knew that.

40lovebaby
08-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Now I feel really caught in the middle.

Who do I believe - Brad Gilbert and Darren C. or you guys?

Tough call.

Cup8489
08-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Now I feel really caught in the middle.

Who do I believe - Brad Gilbert and Darren C. or you guys?

Tough call.

us. they have no idea what theyre talking about. especially the bit about saying nadal plays with nylon. if he uses nylon, i'm pete sampras.

Leelord337
08-12-2008, 01:42 PM

is it the prestige classic 600?

Shangri La
08-12-2008, 03:12 PM
No he uses a Wilson custom mold based on his old Liquid Metal Radical.
http://i8.tinypic.com/8fab1gh.jpg

Right after he switched to Wilson sponsorship, he stated publicly on his blog that he tried a bunch of Wilson frames, didn't like any of them, and finally settled on a custom mold that matched his old Head racquet.

are you sure thats a real LM radical not a pj or some other old head model like PT280/630?

Leelord337
08-12-2008, 03:39 PM
^^^They said it was a "20 year old racquet" djokovic uses so no way it was a lm radical

onkystomper
08-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Think about it... when Djokovic was coming through the LM Radical was the top radical Head racket (he used the tour by the way) I doubt in Serbia he could get the PT 630 or if there was much hype about it then either.

thehunk
08-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Does anybody know what Darren Cahill used 20 years ago? That would solve the mystery of Djokovic's racquet once in for all.

And for all the idiots complaining about Gilbert calling Nadal's strings "nylon", get over it, everybody knows it is Pro Hurricane. That is just what Gilbert calls it.

vsbabolat
08-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Does anybody know what Darren Cahill used 20 years ago? That would solve the mystery of Djokovic's racquet once in for all.

And for all the idiots complaining about Gilbert calling Nadal's strings "nylon", get over it, everybody knows it is Pro Hurricane. That is just what Gilbert calls it.

I remember Cahill's run to the semis in the 1988 U.S. Open he used the Prince Graphite Pro 90.

Nadal use Babolat Duralast a first gen poly.

s7evin
08-15-2008, 04:56 AM
I doubt in Serbia he could get the PT 630 or if there was much hype about it then either.

What makes you think that??? He could literally drive to Kennelbach and take them himself... And the PT57a hype is nowdays with non-pro players... Pro's used it since it came out in the 90's...

origmarm
08-15-2008, 06:45 AM
I spoke to a chap recently who strung at Wimbledon and got to handle (but not string apparently) a couple of Djoko's sticks. Said that it had the same string pattern, spacing, head shape and frame shape (to the eye) as the radical in a quick side to side comparison, no ridges though like the liquidmetal frames. Apparently the grip shape is also similar (but not quite) to Head.

The guy tends to have good information, I didn't get to see it myself though or similar. He also mentioned that Head pros have a slightly different radical to the production one (even the colour is different apparently) and that it was this one he compared it to if that makes a difference

PackardDell
08-15-2008, 05:27 PM
:) omg I love this forum

Babb
08-15-2008, 06:05 PM

Brad Gilbert is the biggest idiot...

KerryJ
08-15-2008, 08:04 PM
gilbert does talk a lot of bull

To the guy that asked who he should trust, I'd say it's a toss up sometimes. But Brad Gilbert, come on. This is the guy that said the radar gun was cheating the players because when it said 127 mph it looked more like 137 mph. What kind of claim is that? What makes him think he knows better than the machine, the only thing he has ever used to gauge speed.

willgonase10
08-15-2008, 09:17 PM
:) I told you so...

LPShanet
08-19-2008, 02:32 PM
To the guy that asked who he should trust, I'd say it's a toss up sometimes. But Brad Gilbert, come on. This is the guy that said the radar gun was cheating the players because when it said 127 mph it looked more like 137 mph. What kind of claim is that? What makes him think he knows better than the machine, the only thing he has ever used to gauge speed.

As has been established on a number of other threads, Gilbert, Cahill, McEnroe and many other announcers often provide general information with a number of technical/specific errors. For the vast majority of their audience, this is fine, and still imparts some insight that the average club player is unaware of. When they refer to "nylon" strings, they typically are just differentiating synthetics from the gut most pros used to use. While they are making a technical error, they are correct about the use of synthetic versus gut. True nylon was never a major factor on the pro tour at any point in history.

Nadal, for the record, does use Duralast, and has for MANY years. However, it is marked to appear to be PHT...the equivalent of a string paintjob. Neither PHT nor Duralast is literally nylon (they're both poly), but they are both synthetic rather than natural gut.

Similarly, when they talk about Djokovic's racquet, they aren't literally referring to a specific model issue (they probably don't know or care about the specifics, and if they did, they won't out the whole paintjob thing, as manufacturers are among the major telecast sponsors). They are referring to the fact that Djokovic's racquet is based on old technology and old molds. Whichever of the various things his frame may be, it definitely doesn't feature any technology that wasn't around 20 years ago. As a client of Wilson's Pro Room, Djokovic is using one of their available molds, all of which are quite old, as are the materials used in all the pro layups. As stated by previous posters, it's a custom job...but it's a custom job based on old technology made to simulate other old racquets. They point this out to contrast it with players such as Nadal, who is using a newer generation frame.

On to the speed gun issue. The radar gun technology is known to be somewhat unreliable. Anyone who has ever served extensively to one knows this. It's also the reason that with a bit of technical expertise you can often get out of traffic tickets based on a radar gun. They simply aren't that accurate over small areas, and when measuring small objects. In addition, while it's tough to measure the amount exactly, it has been well established that the direction of a serve can affect the speed reading on the radar system used in pro stadia. Often quite a bit. Because the guns are positioned on the center line, they tend to underreport serves that are hit wide rather than up the T. This also comes into play when a very tall server (e.g. Karlovic) is hitting the ball, as the gun doesn't always compensate correctly for the change in delivery angle. You have to understand that just because it's a machine doesn't mean it's correct or accurate. (Same goes for ShotSpot, by the way.) So Gilbert is well within reason to question specific serve readings, and no current pro would disagree with that.

Satch
08-19-2008, 03:17 PM
What makes you think that??? He could literally drive to Kennelbach and take them himself... And the PT57a hype is nowdays with non-pro players... Pro's used it since it came out in the 90's...

i doubt that in Serbia you could buy anything during the 90's (newest model, haha, you would be happy in that time to get a woody), market was in very bad shape... but he could get it from western Europe

nate_malone
08-21-2008, 11:54 AM
No, I did not hear that, and how could that be true if he is shown using the KBlade Tour on that one Wilson commercial. They can't lie about that, can they?

plum
08-21-2008, 05:44 PM
I hate to break the news to you but, Nadal actually makes his own gut from Cows on his grandfather's spanish farm. Apparently he hires a flamenco guitarist and stays up all night processing cow intestine with the top of the line gut string maker that he had fabricated to his uncle's specs. Then, of course, he gets a string paint-job to make look like the poly.:shock:

18gauge
08-22-2008, 06:24 PM
i doubt that in Serbia you could buy anything during the 90's (newest model, haha, you would be happy in that time to get a woody), market was in very bad shape... but he could get it from western Europe

He was at the Niki Pilic Tennis Academy in Munich, Germany and hanging out w/ the likes of Gulbis whose dad is a **billionaire**

Pretty sure he had access to whatever frame he wanted to use.

dr_punk
08-22-2008, 08:43 PM
i also heard cahill say federer still uses with the PS 85

himynameisminh
08-22-2008, 09:31 PM
anybody know the specs on djoko's pj? (whether it be lm prestige or something else entirely different) i'm pretty sure it's gotta be bigger than 93 headsize..

cork_screw
08-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Yes it's called the Head Pro Tour 280.

Tallahassee_Technifibre
08-23-2008, 01:53 PM
I believe Cahill about djokovic racket.

RanchDressing
08-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Yeah I heard Gilbert say Nadal uses hurricane, but then I realized he just farted.
Then he said Djokovic uses the same racquet for like ever, and then I realized he has the shlizt.

rubberduckies
08-26-2008, 03:33 PM
are you sure thats a real LM radical not a pj or some other old head model like PT280/630?

Well there are some better pictures where it's clear that the LM ridges on his old racquet were the real thing and not a PJ. You can kinda tell on the link I posted, but there are clearer photos out there. It's especially clear if you contrast it with photos of the racquets of guys like Safin, back when they had LM PJs.

Djoker's current racquet is a Wilson custom mold designed to play like his old Head racquet. It does not have any ridges because LM and ridges were just a bunch of BS to begin with.

JW10S
08-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Well there are some better pictures where it's clear that the LM ridges on his old racquet were the real thing and not a PJ. You can kinda tell on the link I posted, but there are clearer photos out there. It's especially clear if you contrast it with photos of the racquets of guys like Safin, back when they had LM PJs.

Djoker's current racquet is a Wilson custom mold designed to play like his old Head racquet.That's true. Djokovic is one of a few players who used to play with HEAD racquets and Wilson went to them and essentially said 'we'll make you a racquet like the one you are using and pay you more to use it'. Tursunov and Dechy were others off the top of my head who switched to Wilson around the same time and initially used racquets with Ksix-one pjs but their racquets had no PWS.

I did not hear the comment on the telly or the context in which it was said so I can't comment about Djokovic's racquet being '20 years old'.

LordRaceR
08-29-2008, 03:56 PM
That's true. Djokovic is one of a few players who used to play with HEAD racquets and Wilson went to them and essentially said 'we'll make you a racquet like the one you are using and pay you more to use it'. Tursunov and Dechy were others off the top of my head who switched to Wilson around the same time and initially used racquets with Ksix-one pjs but their racquets had no PWS.

I did not hear the comment on the telly or the context in which it was said so I can't comment about Djokovic's racquet being '20 years old'.

You can believe it or not, but Novak did use LM Radical and later he requested custom version from Head (heavier and little bit different balance). Later, hi wanted to extend the contract, but his father requested a lot and at that Head said no. then Wilson made nice offer and that was it. Wilson made him two batches of racquets trying to copy his LM Radicals. First was to stiff for him and the second was spot on, so Djokovic is still using that custom Wilson mold. nBlade and KBlade was made using that mold, but with different flex, weight and balance. In few balls that I hit with his KBlade painted racquet, it is close to KBlade Tour regard stiffness and weight but it is a little bit heaver and lest stiff, but mold is standard KBlade. Now his father is talking to Head again, but Head is now much, much more interested. It is very possible that next year Novak will be using his old racquet with Head paint, and his father company will be exclusive distributor for Head in Serbia.