PDA

View Full Version : Sprint Training

iAsian
08-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Ok, So I've played Tennis for just one season for my school so far ( One season being like two months approximately ) That's not a long time of playing, but I've improved on the way as I practice on my own time.
I've been trying to find some ways to increase my explosiveness on the tennis courts when sprinting to the ball or some sort, and I was wondering if there's any good exercises to increase my sprinting.
My school provides a track, bleachers, and the tennis court our school has is a grass one. We have two football fields, and that's all I can think on top of my head. If you really must know my age I'm only 15 years old so I still have quite the few years to go.
So any suggestions on sprinting exercises would be excellent.
Thanks,

iAsian

cncretecwbo
08-10-2008, 05:26 PM
if you want to improve top speed, you need short(er) sprints with long rest. doing things like intervals will get you better speed endurance, but wont be as beneficial to top speed. Ive seen things that say do short sprints (30m or less) with plenty (go when youre ready) of rest. and try to keep total distance 300m or less, i.e. 30m x 10.

if you have access to a gym try squats and olympic lifts like cleans. Only do these with absolutely perfect form (coaches can help) because injuries are not fun.

bleacher sprints can be good too, focus on exploding up and quick feet. If you can find a hill, they are even better because you can mimic normal sprinting movement better and it can actually teach you better sprint mechanics.

10sfreak
08-10-2008, 05:48 PM
I second what the above poster wrote, and would like to add maybe going to get some advice from your school's track coach?

iAsian
08-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Well as for Squat I'm pretty sure my form is well as of right now I can do 185 and can do 200+ on Box squats
As for cleans I can't do those I have horrible form and horrible momentum when doing so.
My friend says Cleans are more of a momentum thing then strength and since I don't build momentum to easily I have a hard time doing so.
I did a sprinting exercise where I sprinted my max 100 yards then stopped for a good 10-15 minutes then did it one more time, and boy I was exhausted.
I think I did a little bit to much there.
Intervals? I'm not much sure what you mean but I'll look it up on google to find out what it means.
And I'll consider asking the track coach once school starts.
We also have a Hill at the elementary school, what a coincidence.
Thanks for the suggestions I'll do my best and consider them,

iAsian

WildVolley
08-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Weight lifting is good for sprinting. Squats and deadlifts are going to be helpful. Use good form, don't overtrain, and look to move more weight. Rather than cleans, I suggest that you just work on high pulls, in which you don't actually clear the weight onto your chest. Done correctly, high pulls or cleans are an extremely explosive movement which is good for starting speed.

I agree with the sprinting advice given above. Work on doing maximal speed over short distances at first. Again, don't overtrain and make certain you are getting proper rest and nutrition.

Lastly, you should look into doing plyometric exercises (jumping and bounding drills).

Gmedlo
08-10-2008, 08:32 PM
You know WildVolley, two weeks ago I would have disagreed with you along the lines of cleans/high pulls, but after spraining my wrist and nearly breaking my ulna after stupidly falling backward on a clean, I've changed my opinion, :lol:. It's much easier to screw up a clean than a high pull, and I feel stupid for ever even considering upping the weight without getting my clean form checked.

I think we need a sprinting sticky so we can compile all the info regarding HIIT, weight training, and speed training into one thread.

cncretecwbo
08-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Well as for Squat I'm pretty sure my form is well as of right now I can do 185 and can do 200+ on Box squats
As for cleans I can't do those I have horrible form and horrible momentum when doing so.
My friend says Cleans are more of a momentum thing then strength and since I don't build momentum to easily I have a hard time doing so.
I did a sprinting exercise where I sprinted my max 100 yards then stopped for a good 10-15 minutes then did it one more time, and boy I was exhausted.
I think I did a little bit to much there.
Intervals? I'm not much sure what you mean but I'll look it up on google to find out what it means.
And I'll consider asking the track coach once school starts.
We also have a Hill at the elementary school, what a coincidence.
Thanks for the suggestions I'll do my best and consider them,

iAsian

cleans are a power movement.

If you parallel box squat more than you regular squat, you are doing one of them wrong

TokyopunK
08-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Dude your asian you should have been born fast, unless you're sumo

CHOcobo
08-10-2008, 09:24 PM
^^^lol true. my friends say im pretty fast. if you really want good sprint speed, play a lot of badminton.

iAsian
08-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Well for being born fast I'm not to slow neither fast myself I'd say.
I'll call myself fast when I'm the fastest in the school ^ ^ Lolz :]
But the fastest person in the school I'm guessing is the Runningback for football he runs a 4.6 second 40 yard dash >.> that's very fast.
Well as for parallel box squat I've always heard that you could squat those more then a regular squat.
Just about everyone in this program I do for school during the summer box squatted more then their regular squat.
So would that mean EVERYONE is doing it wrong?
As for the cleans I see where you're getting at, I'll ask my phy ed teachers and ask how to do those sort of cleans.
For plyometrics I'll see what I can do about that.
Thanks,
iAsian

cncretecwbo
08-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Well as for parallel box squat I've always heard that you could squat those more then a regular squat.
Just about everyone in this program I do for school during the summer box squatted more then their regular squat.
So would that mean EVERYONE is doing it wrong?

if the box squats were to parallel (prefereably a bit below) and you were also doing real, full regular squats, then yes, id assume everyone did them wrong.

coachdavidh
08-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Here are some sprint workouts you can try. But as others have said, you also need to increase your strength as well.

Click Below:

XL Athlete Sprint Training (http://www.xlathlete.com/browse_drills.jsp;jsessionid=7A3B32A0A3468E6399AEC 5DF55C5BFB6?sport_program_id=214&browse_sport_id=0&drill_type=0)

iAsian
08-12-2008, 06:17 PM
if the box squats were to parallel (prefereably a bit below) and you were also doing real, full regular squats, then yes, id assume everyone did them wrong.

Oh I see...
I'll talk to the fitness person at my school and see what they say about it
since there's so many different ways to do things xD