PDA

View Full Version : Safin's Prestige Classic weight?

jonas-the-ball-basher
01-29-2005, 08:35 AM
What does Safin's Prestige Classic exactly weight?

Perfect
01-29-2005, 08:42 AM
Starts out at 12.1 oz, then with tape at 12oclock, at 3oclock, and 9oclock, it's exact weight is around 12.5 oz.

jonas-the-ball-basher
01-29-2005, 09:59 AM
Starts out at 12.1 oz, then with tape at 12oclock, at 3oclock, and 9oclock, it's exact weight is around 12.5 oz.Is that all?

fedex27
01-29-2005, 10:04 AM
no it weighs more. 365 grams 2 points head light. it has 2 pecies of tape in each place. 8 inches in the head, and 5 inches at 3,9. no weight in the handle.

david aames
01-29-2005, 11:27 AM
Doesn't work this way... Lead is placed differently on each and every frame.

no it weighs more. 365 grams 2 points head light. it has 2 pecies of tape in each place. 8 inches in the head, and 5 inches at 3,9. no weight in the handle.

Aykhan Mammadov
01-29-2005, 11:30 AM
Are you sure that he plays with Classic with paint job of Liquidmetal? Why so law in headlight balance ? Don't Pros use more headlight balances like between 5p and 12 p ? I know Henin played with similar balance - 1 p, isn't such a balance for women?

fedex27
01-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Doesn't work this way... Lead is placed differently on each and every frame.
no look at any picture at safinator.com and youll see it in the same place. EVERYTIME, EVERYFRAME

PrestigeClassic
01-29-2005, 01:01 PM
no look at any picture at safinator.com and youll see it in the same place. EVERYTIME, EVERYFRAME

You can see lead tape under the bumper? Isn't swingweight really matched at the tip, so it's the place where you'd have most of the variance?

Astennix
01-29-2005, 01:05 PM
I had the chance to play with one of Safin's frames, an old Head Prestige Classic painted as a Dunlop MW 200g (90 sq) ...it said "Marat Safin" on the throat. I played a complete set with it. It was strung around 70 lbs with VS Gut and it weighted more than 13 oz for sure. I didn't take any specs, but it was a little headligh -not too much. I played very solid and stable.

Shaolin
01-29-2005, 01:09 PM
How did you get a chance to hit with it? Do you still have it?

fedex27
01-29-2005, 01:31 PM
I had the chance to play with one of Safin's frames, an old Head Prestige Classic painted as a Dunlop MW 200g (90 sq) ...it said "Marat Safin" on the throat. I played a complete set with it. It was strung around 70 lbs with VS Gut and it weighted more than 13 oz for sure. I didn't take any specs, but it was a little headligh -not too much. I played very solid and stable.
365 grams is 13 ounces. and its a little head light also like i said. the weight is in the hoop look at pics from the ao from safinator.com and you can see it. i also want to know how you got that frame and do you still have it?

fedex27
01-29-2005, 01:53 PM
look at the hoop
http://www.safinator.com/aussie5_05/52050570.jpg
http://www.safinator.com/aussie5_05/capt.mel22501231030.jpg
and the sides
http://www.safinator.com/aussie4_05/capt.sge.dor50.210105153526.photo00.photo.jpg

these pics back up my previous posts

PrestigeClassic
01-29-2005, 03:50 PM
OK, so there's lead tape. Pretty surprising. But how many layers? How long is each and every layer? Can you tell from these pictures? Can you tell if there's a varying shorter layer underneath a longer layer? Can you tell whether it's lead tape or aluminum foil tape? Don't know about Safin, but for pros, generally, Head starts by placing lead tape under the bumper. Don't know about you, but I can't see through a bumper. Regardless, are you saying that Safin would rather have his rackets all look the same rather than have them matched? Lastly, 365 g is 12.85 oz..

fedex27
01-29-2005, 03:57 PM
OK, so there's lead tape. Pretty surprising. But how many layers? How long is each and every layer? Can you tell from these pictures? Can you tell if there's a varying shorter layer underneath a longer layer? Can you tell whether it's lead tape or aluminum foil tape? Don't know about Safin, but for pros, generally, Head starts by placing lead tape under the bumper. Don't know about you, but I can't see through a bumper. Regardless, are you saying that Safin would rather have his rackets all look the same rather than have them matched? Lastly, 365 g is 12.85 oz..
365 grams is actually 12.93 ounces. so to make it better i added a 7th if an ounce. maybe there is some under the bumber. 8 inches at the hoop(2 layers on each place). and 2 layers at 3,9 postitions in every place. i have a pc600 and have lead in the same places so i know. i have heard that his racquet os 365 grams on this site, so i figure if i have lead it the same place on the same racquet and mine weighs the same then he has the same amount of lead tape as i do in each place.

PrestigeClassic
01-29-2005, 04:42 PM
Again, you're assuming Safin's frames are the same thing that you can buy. You have a Prestige Classic 600, and Safin has rackets from the same mold. But here's the kicker: Head makes Prestige Classic frames lighter for their pros, even somewhat for Safin, than they ever did for retail. That means Safin needs more lead tape, silicon, or whatever it is that he prefers. I don't know, maybe it's to ease in matching the frames for whoever the person is. But according to you and some safinator photos, pros don't care about matching. At any rate, I found that a PC like that (starts lighter, but still has lead tape around the hoop and at the sides, silicon in the handle) to play much better than a retail PC. Will it make me a pro? No, but I thought I played a little better. A lighter, more head-heavy racket plays great with weight ALL around the frame in various amounts. I think I had mine at around 13 ounces, 4 points head-light, and it plays great. What kind of balance did you end up at--two points head-light? I find that adding weight to the head only of a retail frame makes it very sluggish to swing, even if it's still very head-light and not that heavy. Maybe some weight in the handle is generally supposed to counter-balance the mass at the tip, I don't know. But hey, Safin could play with anything.

Again, as for the ounce/mass conversion, a more exact conversion is 28.3495 grams to the ounce, unless you're really in outer space. So, 365 grams = 12.875, or 12 7/8 ounces. But who really cares about that. The only people that could tell us actual specs aren't on some Web site where the information is passed through five people before reaching your screen. Whoever knows any specs either, 1.) has his head stuck somewhere and won't post them because that person doesn't want anybody to know the specs of the frames he sleeps with every night; or 2.) is simply too busy to mess around on here.

fedex27
01-29-2005, 04:55 PM
PC everything you said is right except for that he does care about matching and the place i went to online to covert ounces to grams said 12.93 ounces is 365 grams. I see what a pro is doing and want to try it myself to see if i would like it. It turns out i do. He was playing with this racuet before he had a sponsorship and wouldtn use a custom made racquet. So we have been watching different cartoons.

annihilatorpro
01-29-2005, 05:35 PM
An ounce is 28.35 grams. Therefore, 365 grams is roughly 12.87 ounces. All his frames would never have the same amount of lead; the lead must be matched so that the frames would end up equally spec-ed out.

fedex27
01-29-2005, 05:38 PM
An ounce is 28.35 grams. Therefore, 365 grams is roughly 12.87 ounces. All his frames would never have the same amount of lead; the lead must be matched so that the frames would end up equally spec-ed out.
different lead but same specs? am i reading this wrong or can you explain it better

hummer23
01-29-2005, 05:53 PM
the whole point of racquet matching, is to make both, or all 3, or in safins case, all 50 of your frames play the same. taht way if you pop a string, and you pick up anotehr frame, it should play as close as possible to what you were just using. if you guy two frames from any company, wilson, prince, head, you know that they arent exactly matched right. for this reason, you may have to add soem lead to the throat to add weight, or some extra to one at 3 and 9 if it swings a tad lighter. safins frames, if tehy are custom manufactured, are made to tighter specs, but not exact anyway. so when his customized adds lead and uses teh Bab. rdc machine to find swingweight and calculates the balance, they may not be perfect. for this reason, extra lead is added to make them feel the same. if you remember back to when tw sold ps tour 90's tehy were availible in singles, or in matched pairs that wer made to tighter specs. safin, like all pros, needs all frames to tehs ame specs. for that reason, they may, and most likey will, require different amounts of lead.

fedex27
01-29-2005, 05:57 PM
the whole point of racquet matching, is to make both, or all 3, or in safins case, all 50 of your frames play the same. taht way if you pop a string, and you pick up anotehr frame, it should play as close as possible to what you were just using. if you guy two frames from any company, wilson, prince, head, you know that they arent exactly matched right. for this reason, you may have to add soem lead to the throat to add weight, or some extra to one at 3 and 9 if it swings a tad lighter. safins frames, if tehy are custom manufactured, are made to tighter specs, but not exact anyway. so when his customized adds lead and uses teh Bab. rdc machine to find swingweight and calculates the balance, they may not be perfect. for this reason, extra lead is added to make them feel the same. if you remember back to when tw sold ps tour 90's tehy were availible in singles, or in matched pairs that wer made to tighter specs. safin, like all pros, needs all frames to tehs ame specs. for that reason, they may, and most likey will, require different amounts of lead.
oh i see, thats makes more sense. so his ideal set up is what i said but has to change it a little to get it the samme. thanx hummer. btw where are you from?

hummer23
01-29-2005, 05:59 PM
im from jersey!!! the oil and petrochemical refinary state. and damn proud of it.

fedex27
01-29-2005, 06:01 PM
im from jersey!!! the oil and petrochemical refinary state. and damn proud of it.
o i have a freind who has a hummer, so jw

pstour90
01-30-2005, 02:23 PM
http://cgi.*********/ws/****ISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22714&item=7131527006&rd=1#****photohosting

maybe one of us should buy this one and find out what he's really using once and for all lol...cant tell if there's any lead on it, but the frame def. isnt the i prestige...its the classic, so i would assume this isnt a hoax and its really his

Amit
01-30-2005, 02:35 PM
i still dont get it... why go agains the stock specifications so much insteading just using another racket with more of a resemblence to his likings...

Veritas
01-30-2005, 03:02 PM
I believe david aames already owns one.

christo
01-30-2005, 05:57 PM
No lead tape on the broken i Prestige on E Bay

Hewitt rulez
01-31-2005, 04:40 PM
I had the chance to play with one of Safin's frames, an old Head Prestige Classic painted as a Dunlop MW 200g (90 sq) ...it said "Marat Safin" on the throat. I played a complete set with it.

What was the Score?

hummer23
01-31-2005, 06:39 PM
i still dont get it... why go agains the stock specifications so much insteading just using another racket with more of a resemblence to his likings...

prestige classic is already one of the heaviest most solid frames, at 12.1 ounces, but for a big strong guy like safin, he can handle a customized frame with some extra lead. he can either add lead to his presitge, or he can getsomeone to custom mold out some frame thats not mass produced just for him. its much easier to just use the prestige, a good starting stick, adn just paint it and tweak it, than to make a qhile new custom frame from scratch. also, he can mess around with the weight if he wants to change things up.

Astennix
01-31-2005, 06:58 PM
Hewitt rulez: I played with it on a charity event...it was a doubles match and had a to play against one of the Jensen brothers.. I remember doing pretty well, don't remember the score but we won that match. The frame felt solid, but too heavy and strung too tight for me. No wonder Safin is 6'4" and he probably has the strenght of a beast. Also, this frame had lead tape (several strips) all along 3 and 9 positions, pads, a leather grip, and a tourna on top of it.

perfmode
01-31-2005, 07:28 PM
365 grams is actually 12.93 ounces. so to make it better i added a 7th if an ounce. maybe there is some under the bumber. 8 inches at the hoop(2 layers on each place). and 2 layers at 3,9 postitions in every place. i have a pc600 and have lead in the same places so i know. i have heard that his racquet os 365 grams on this site, so i figure if i have lead it the same place on the same racquet and mine weighs the same then he has the same amount of lead tape as i do in each place.

Why are you trying to copy his setup? You're not Safin and you don't get 1/10th of his headspeed with your stick at STOCK.

hummer23
01-31-2005, 07:51 PM
Why are you trying to copy his setup? You're not Safin and you don't get 1/10th of his headspeed with your stick at STOCK.

amen. unless you want to set it up, string it with gut, and put it on your wall to admire, it the specs are not only useless to you, but they are a waste of time, effort, and money to try and recreate his frame. not only that, but it can lead t osome elbow and shoulder problems if you try to overplay with that stick, so take it easy if you set it up like that.