PDA

View Full Version : Why does S Williams/Sharapova and a lot of others play with power racquets?

jonas-the-ball-basher
01-29-2005, 09:46 AM
I don't get it!
I as an average club player (a 5/4 european rated) have no control with anything less than a 'players frame'.
The stiffness and thick frames on power racquets just feel terrible.
I tried the Babolat Aero Drive for 2 minutes last week and hated it!
But how do a lot of girls like Sharapova and the Williams sisters maintain control and tough with those clumsy sticks?
(I assume they b.l.o.w me of the court!!!)

andfor
01-29-2005, 10:27 AM
If you or I like they have hit 2000 + balls a day for the last 10 years or so it then matters little what racquet you hit with.

JennyS
01-29-2005, 10:36 AM
I think it takes more than 2 minutes to adjust to a racquet. I have no problem getting control on the Pure Drive OS.

andfor
01-29-2005, 10:46 AM
I think it takes more than 2 minutes to adjust to a racquet. I have no problem getting control on the Pure Drive OS.

Thanks, that's what I was trying to say.

raftermania
01-29-2005, 10:49 AM
If you string high on these racquets, you can get pretty good control!

UHS
01-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Jonas, I see that you have started posting heavily on this board as a new member. Where do you come from?

I just have a feeling that the biggest advantage of a "power" stick is when you are out of position/out of balance. When you have to rely on wrist/arm strength to get any depth on the ball, the power racquets are a little bit better. I don't hit harder with a power racquet myself unless I am really scrambling to get the ball back. I think that womens wrists are a little bit weaker, and therefore they have more advantages with the power racquets than the men.

Aykhan Mammadov
01-29-2005, 12:44 PM
I think even if their wrists are weaker they stiil are more firm than ours.

I think there is not problem in racquet thickness, some professional racquets are thick enough.

But there is big problem in power racquets, it is not possible for the Pro to play with such a racquet at serious tournament because of the lack of control. They can play with us, but not usually.

I think first 10-15 women players play with Pro racquets but simply with changed paintjob for advertisement. But below 15-th you will see normal Pro racquets.

mikeydeluxe
01-29-2005, 01:29 PM
i tried andy roddick's pure drive for about an hour, it was HELL!!! Simply no control from the baseline, but i have to admit i'm using a VÍLKL Tour 8 for more than 2 years now, and i'm very happy with it, strange thing...

jonas-the-ball-basher
01-29-2005, 02:41 PM
Jonas, I see that you have started posting heavily on this board as a new member. Where do you come from?

I just have a feeling that the biggest advantage of a "power" stick is when you are out of position/out of balance. When you have to rely on wrist/arm strength to get any depth on the ball, the power racquets are a little bit better. I don't hit harder with a power racquet myself unless I am really scrambling to get the ball back. I think that womens wrists are a little bit weaker, and therefore they have more advantages with the power racquets than the men.Nice to see you're from the Netherlands as well:-)
I'm not a new member, just somehow my membership was cancelled due to some reason (don't ask me why), so I had to register again.

couch
01-29-2005, 03:33 PM
Simple answer: Because they can. If you're that good, you can play with a frying pan.

jonas-the-ball-basher
01-30-2005, 04:11 AM
Simple answer: Because they can. If you're that good, you can play with a frying pan.But why would you? A Frying pan is not going to improve your game is it?

Excellounge
01-30-2005, 04:29 PM
I can only speak for myself of course, but I play with a power raquet myself, strung at the high end of its range and with some lead added in the handle. I have to say I just have good control and yes you may have a little less control on volleys and shots like that. But that doesn't mean you can't hit them. I don't really have short strokes, more compact strokes. But not that I am not able to finish the stroke.

I also have a players raquet and I can play with that as well. I agree with that when you are a bit out of position that it is easier to get it deeper with a power racquet than with the players stick.

I think it is a personal preference in which you like best.

ucd_ace
01-30-2005, 05:52 PM
umm... to get more power...

hummer23
01-30-2005, 06:07 PM
the people who domonate the women's game, Sharapova, Davenport, Serena, even capriati from back in the day, the all hit hard. the women with the power can just hit through the rest of teh feild, and there really arent any great counterpunchers to punish the flat and hard hitting players. for this reason, it is very good to have more power in your game. serena and venus, although very strong, use larger more powerful frames to get even more pop on the ball. sure, they ill miss some more balls, but the serves they hit set up esay winners, and the groundies they smack set up even easier putaways, if they arent outright winners anyway. power is the name of the WTA game, the willaimses and sharapova are just adapting to it.

(P.S. also, the bigger the frame, teh bigger the stringbed, and the bigger the stringbed, teh bigger the W or P can be. imagine serena's stenciled W on federer's frame, it wouldnt even hit on his racquet)

couch
01-30-2005, 07:39 PM
Okay, let me put this another way. They can play with a more powerful racquet because they are good enough to do it. It seems as though you would want to play with the most powerful racquet you can and still control. As a previous poster said, they probably string them pretty high for some additional control.

I was being "somewhat" sarcastic with the frying pan comment. I was being sarcastic again when I said, "somewhat".

scez
01-30-2005, 07:42 PM

I thought you were going to say there arms are swore and tired so they need the power. But the reason why all the pros use powerfull racquets is because they get paid millions of dollers to.

UHS
01-31-2005, 04:24 AM
I think even if their wrists are weaker they stiil are more firm than ours.

Oh no. A few of them perhaps, but not if you compare with a 5.0-5.5 man.