PDA

View Full Version : wood racquet

polakosaur
02-21-2004, 01:47 PM
i have a old wood antique racuet in my basement the string broke on it a while ago how do i go about stringing it

PK Today
02-21-2004, 05:24 PM
Most wood rackets have an 18 x 20 string pattern. Skip the 9th throat. If you string 1-piece, you'll be stringing the crosses from the bottom to top, which is ok for those rackets. At the top, the side with the zig-zag grooves is the short side. If you string 2-piece, start at the top and tie off on the side that has the double groove (not zig-zag). You have several shared holes (3 at each end, I think).

polakosaur
02-22-2004, 01:17 PM
bump

what kind of string should i use it looks like 18g and very stiff string even when broke almost like a wire. probably should use a kevlar or poly?

Steve Huff
02-23-2004, 02:28 AM
I would use a 16g, soft multifiliment. Those woodies do wear in their grooves. It stay with something thicker and softer. The softer string should give you a little more power too. An 18g poly may cut into the wood too much.

Rabbit
02-23-2004, 07:05 AM
I agree with <b>Steve</b>. If you're going old school, go old school! Put a good multi or even a cheaper natural gut in it. I'd also recommend stringing it in the mid to high 50s.

Steve Huff
02-24-2004, 11:31 AM
Just strung a Rossignol Strato wood today. I used some old SportsPal Stranded Nylon (black) 15L. Looks good in the Strato, which is mostly white, except for the wood grain upper hoop. I put SportsPal Natural Stranded Nylon in another wood a couple of days ago. I hit with it yesterday and it played great. A lot more spin than I remembered or would have thought.