PDA

View Full Version : Improving my Throwing Arm/range

Tikiman53
08-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Hey guys. So I've been playing some catch with footballs and baseballs for the past week or so, and I realized how horrible I am at throwing. I'm a scrawny 15-year-old Korean kid. I can throw a football maybe 35 feet or something and a baseball around 40 feet. I dunno, I'm bad with my measurements. I'm probably off. Bottomline, I suck. I want to be able to throw a lot farther. Assuming it's not a matter of technique, what can I do to improve my range?

Thanks a lot!

SystemicAnomaly
08-12-2008, 03:35 AM
Have you also considered throwing an old tennis racket to simulate a serve?
FuzzyYellowBalls.com/index.php?id=416273&col=260823&offset=6 (http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/index.php?id=416273&col=260823&offset=6)

Note that throwing a baseball, throwing a football and "throwing" the racket head at a ball toss all have many similarities as well as a few important differences in technique (or in throwing mechanics). Try mastering throwing the baseball (or racket) first before trying to master a football throw. Both baseball & football throwing can help your serving technique in different ways.

Keep your arm and body somewhat loose to throw -- do not try to "muscle" the throw. Do not allow the the muscles in your forearm, upper arm and shoulder to tense up unnecessarily. Turn sideways & get your throwing elbow back. Start the forward motion with your legs -- a little bit of knee bend will probably help. Use a weight shift from the back leg to the front leg. As you shift your weight forward, start to rotate the hips in the direction that you will throw the ball (or racket). As the hips start to rotate, the torso (upper body) will then start its rotation.

While the body is just starting its rotation, the throwing arm remains relaxed and behind the shoulder. As your body increases its rotation, let it whip the elbow and arm forward. Extend the arm (straighten it) and release the ball. Try to get the feeling that you are generating a lot of the throwing power from your body rotation -- as if you are using your legs, hips, and torso to create a whirlwind in order to accelerate (or whip) the throwing arm forward,

Try some throws at an upward angle -- 30 degrees to 45 degrees or more. You should find that you will get the most distance from something close to 45 degrees. Also try to throw upward at a much steeper angle -- something like 75 degrees or more. This steep upward throw should simulate the first part of the upward "throw" of the racket head toward the ball on a service motion.

Throwing a football (http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=throwing+a+football&btnG=Google+Search)

carazymcmahon
08-13-2008, 12:01 AM
experiment with different ways to throw and see which mechanics work to give you the most efficient throw. Focusing most on hip rotation, shoulder separation, timing and weight transfer (the most translatable areas to the serve)

I wouldn't focus on pronating because it just happens when you throw, but just remember that you should rarely supinate.

maybe read up a little on kinetic chains in throwing

These are just suggestions, I've had no experience with this situation but I have been throwing a baseball for about 13 years.

good luck

kairosntx
08-13-2008, 04:47 AM
I've done quite a bit of reading on the subject. I've been coaching my sons baseball team for 5 years and have purchased numerous books and researched online ad naseum. The best way to throw harder/farther is distance throwing/long toss. After you warm up the first part of every practice is playing catch. Start off throwing about 20 feet away, then 40, then 80 then 120, then max. If you can't throw that far at first, work your way up. You should throw about 10 balls as far as you can at every practice. After throwing 10 balls at your max, then throw a few at 120 and 60. This teaches arm speed which is the same whether you are throwing 250 feet from the outfield to the plate or 60' 6" from the mound to the plate. The only difference is the release point.