PDA

View Full Version : String tension Beijing 2008?

hsv91
08-12-2008, 01:13 AM
Hello,

if there are the strings and tensions with all the players in Bejing 2008 available?

Which is the official "Stringing Service" by the Olympic Games 2008?

Thanks

toyota817
08-12-2008, 01:27 AM
idk 62 lbs

pfchang
08-12-2008, 06:20 AM
Hello,

if there are the strings and tensions with all the players in Bejing 2008 available?

Which is the official "Stringing Service" by the Olympic Games 2008?

Thanks

i would assume that wilson is doing it only because they are supplying the 10S balls

idk 62 lbs

another one worder post here...

Richard Parnell
08-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Yonex for tennis and badminton

2nd_Serve
08-12-2008, 07:21 PM
????????????????????????????

Rexking
08-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Yonex for tennis and badminton

Maybe badminton. Yonex failed mens tennis Beijing 2008.

abllee2198
08-14-2008, 05:11 AM
Wilson is not stringing on site for this tournament.

For tennis: There are 8 machines all Toyo Zouki made. 7 are Yonex ES5-Pro and one is Yonex Pro-Tech.

Stringers are:

Petr (Czech Rep)

John Li (LA, Cal)

Dickie Lee (HK)

Luis Pianelli (Arg)

John Hurt (US)

Yamamori (Japan)

Hama (Japan)

Haga (Japan)

Albert

hollywood9826
08-14-2008, 05:30 AM
As always albert, you da man.

What is the difference between the ES-5 and the Pro Tech?

abllee2198
08-14-2008, 07:23 AM
Machines are out of the same mold, almost. The Pro-Tech has a few new features:

0.5 pound precision reference
Pneumatic machine height adjustment
Machine Table angle adjustment
Improved Tower lock screws for better stability.
Plastic guards on the arms and tool cavity.
Improved Spring loaded table lock mechanism.
External Utility Lamp Bracket.

That's about it,

Albert

BOZO
08-14-2008, 07:39 AM
^^^^^ unbelievable information. Thanks a lot

Racquet Man
08-14-2008, 07:58 AM
This question goes out to Albert, Richard Parnell, Ron Yu, and any of the other major tournament event stringers who can chime in with a response:

Given the number of countries player entries, and the number of events in the Olympics (mens; women, single and doubles), am I correct in assuming that each of the eight stringers Albert identified in his earlier post who are stringing at the Beijing Olympics are responsible for stringing more racquets at this Olympic tournament than a Grand Slam. Is this considered by the tournament stringing community as a herculean task to accomplish, especially for finicky players? (Assuming that the men string 10-12 racquets per match and women somewhat less)

Are any of the players under contract with P1 (or RPNY or, the other private stringing firms) being serviced on site, or are their contract players also being serviced by the 8 on-site stringers?

Finally, amongst the stringing community, is the Olympic gig an enviable high prestige gig, or is the Grand Slam more desirerable.

Thanks for your reply.:)

Richard Parnell
08-15-2008, 03:36 AM
Ron is in Beiijing but only for one player. Everyone else uses the official stringers. This is a nightmare gig where the tournament in compressed into fewer days thus meaning a lrger work load per day and sometimes 24 hour stringing by the team.
I have turned down olympic gigs for this reason.
All the best,
Richard

Racquet Man
08-15-2008, 04:35 AM
Richard, and do they at least increase the per diem rate to offset this incredibly onerous workload at the Olympics. :-? I assume not! Thanks for the reply.

Will you be working the US Open stringing room?

abllee2198
08-15-2008, 05:25 AM
As Richard describes it and as I heard from those who strung at Athens Olympics, it was not a money maker. Stringers had to pay for their own flights, hotel, and food and got little or no payment for stringing. For their troubles, they got to string over 40 hours straight during that tournament. Seems the stringing room was locked after being cleared by security, so no one was allowed in. This led to a huge backlog along with the compressed match schedule resulted in a lot of dead stringers.

So Richard is smart to avoid the Olympics Tennis stringing.

No telling what the benefits will be for stringing in Beijing. I have only heard from a few of the stringers there. As of a few days ago, they were over 1000 frames strung. They should be seeing the light at tunnel's end soon. I hear you get a nifty badge with your photo.

Regards,

Albert

Racquet Man
08-15-2008, 06:20 AM
Albert, Richard, it sounds like you have aptly described the scene as a "nightmare" in the stringing room and you have to pay for your own travel and room and board to boot for this experience!!!! Seems from what you are saying that this is more a gig for someone wanting to break into the scene (provided they can afford the expense of getting there!), but that there is no real upside for a veteran tour stringer.

Are you guys treated better at the grand slams I hope?

Richard Parnell
08-15-2008, 08:46 AM
I turned Athens down and have never yet turned down a wimbledon invitation, does that answer your question ?
I am not part of the wilson team so no US Open for me but I will be on holiday during the Open so I think I got the best of it and then there is the G S S symposium in Florida in 7 weeks so enough is enough.
All the best,
Richard

Racquet Man
08-15-2008, 09:08 AM
Richard, your answer was very clear, thanks

Enjoy your holiday.:)

s7evin
08-16-2008, 02:22 PM
what a lovely thread:)

Tbraziel
08-18-2008, 07:43 AM
http://www.tennishk.org/Archive/Articles/tabid/441/ctl/ArticleView/mid/369/articleId/1446/DickieLeeonboardOlympicTennisEventStringingStaff.a spx
I will try and get back to everyone with racket set ups!

Racquet Man
08-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Taylor, that would be very cool if you could get that info and post it on this board.

Much thanks:)

jorel
08-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Ron is in Beiijing but only for one player.

I wonder who that could be...