PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Talk On NBC Evening News

marc45
08-12-2008, 02:49 PM
i'm a viewer not a player, but i know alot of you guys are into this......so just a brief mention, but brian williams was interviewing former olympian/swimming commentator rowdy gaines (actually fairly mild-mannered) in beijing about all the swimming records being broken, and they were talking about the new suits....so rowdy says "john mcenroe didn't play with the same racquet as roger federer"....just a tidbit, but i swear since the wimbledon final tennis talk/mentions seem to be cropping up all over the place...hip again, huh...and no i won't get into racquet specs...i know some stuff, but i know some of you guys are wizards

PED
08-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Ever since Wimby, the sport has been getting some good press: Rafa seems everywhere and getting on the cover of Sports Illustrated was good as well.

It would be nice to see Rafa have a good run at the USO-he seems like the type of player that US fans could get behind. The casual US fan needs someone to identify with, especially now with Roddick in his current slump. In the end though, I think you have to give the edge to Djo-Djo for the US Open.

marc45
08-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Ever since Wimby, the sport has been getting some good press: Rafa seems everywhere and getting on the cover of Sports Illustrated was good as well.

It would be nice to see Rafa have a good run at the USO-he seems like the type of player that US fans could get behind. The casual US fan needs someone to identify with, especially now with Roddick in his current slump. In the end though, I think you have to give the edge to Djo-Djo for the US Open.
agreed, if rafa can get his stuff together there, he would be the ultimate(non-american) night player for the tourney

hoodjem
08-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Yea, and I bet some Americans can even pronounce "Rafael Nadal."

marc45
08-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Yea, and I bet some Americans can even pronounce "Rafael Nadal."don't get it, probably an unnecessary shot, but i just want tennis to shine after years, particularly on the men's side, of getting hammered at least by the mainstream u.s. press

West Coast Ace
08-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Ever since Wimby, the sport has been getting some good press: Rafa seems everywhere and getting on the cover of Sports Illustrated was good as well.Yeah, and it took a titanic match for it to happen. If either one had won 6-4 in the 5th it would have been on page 58... not that I am complaining or care - tennis is definitely one of those 'you either get it or you don't' sports. And there are still many people in the US who identify it with the rich, country club set - and there's no way to get them to change their minds.

It would be nice to see Rafa have a good run at the USOUnless you're a Fed fan! :) I have some friends who had to have all the sharp objects removed from their houses. Fed fans have to hope that Roger can win it (just to protect his points) and Rafa gets shocked early.

agreed, if rafa can get his stuff together there, he would be the ultimate(non-american) night player for the tourneyPlenty of Americans loved Roger. Sure he's not as prone to show his emotions, but his style and amazing shotmaking did the talking for him. And even if Roddick were playing well, he's very polarizing. His antics turn off about half the people (at least here in the US). People here are less likely to blindly back an American - if you behave like a child (as Roddick has a tendency to do) they will not root for you.

OleNole
08-19-2008, 11:17 AM
don't get it, probably an unnecessary shot, but i just want tennis to shine after years, particularly on the men's side, of getting hammered at least by the mainstream u.s. press

Reference to Brad Gilbert, who with what he clearly considers to be amazing wit refers to Rafa as "Raffy Nay-duhl." He's a great coach, but ESPN needs to get him out of the booth.

PED
08-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Plus more good press in the form of Rafa on the cover of this week's New York Magazine. It's good to see tennis hit the main stream press.

albino smurf
08-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Yea, and I bet some Americans can even pronounce "Rafael Nadal."

Too much harder to say than Roger Federer...:confused:

Jonas Bjorkman
08-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Lol all the up and rising players seem to hire Brad Gilbert, then sack him once they turn good.