PDA

View Full Version : Temptation of a stiff frame: Can I live with the Elbow pain?

bruinduke
08-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Hopefully this is the right section to pose this question. My main sticks are Microgel Prestige Pros that I play with natural gut. I chose these racquets even though I prefered playing with racquets like the PS85 and K90, because I found the flex of the MGPP didn't leave my elbow/wrist hurting after consecutive days of playing.

My problem is that after my strings broke, I decided to play with an Aeropro Drive that I picked up in trade while I got my main sticks strung. The APD is strung with a poly, and after playing a couple sets with my hitting partners, I find the stiffness of the ADP and ploy strings really suit my game much more. I have noticed a greater level of accuracy that really gives me confidence to go after my shots.

My dilema is that I feel the onset of tennis eblow when playing with the new set up. Not yet to the point where I couldn't play on consecutive days, but it's there and I know if I pushed it that I would eventually develop a worsening condition.

As a recreationally competitive player (late 30s, that plays in a league once a week), that only hits about twice a week, can I live with the slight discomfort? It usually goes a way in a day or so, just in time for my next hit. Should I give into the temptaion of playing better or am I risking anything that could worsen over time by sticking with the APD Poly set up?

Thanks for your thoughts...

Matty G
08-14-2008, 09:05 AM
It would not be recomended to do that. You could try the apd with cortex (its a little soffter) But rather order up 2 sets of cyber power and 2 sets of big ace . They both soft co-polys. Give a full set a go at 55 and if that still hurts try them in a hybrid with a soft multi or nat gut in the mains for more arm frendlyness or the poly in the mains for more durability

bruinduke
08-14-2008, 09:24 AM
It would not be recomended to do that. You could try the apd with cortex (its a little soffter) But rather order up 2 sets of cyber power and 2 sets of big ace . They both soft co-polys. Give a full set a go at 55 and if that still hurts try them in a hybrid with a soft multi or nat gut in the mains for more arm frendlyness or the poly in the mains for more durability

Thanks for the avice. Do you recommend trying the softer strings in my MGPP to see if I get some of the advantages of the stiffer frame or trying out the stiffer frame (APDC) with a more comfortable set of strings.

Do you think elbow pain that eventually subsides can lead to a chronic problem over time?

rocky b
08-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Hopefully this is the right section to pose this question. My main sticks are Microgel Prestige Pros that I play with natural gut. I chose these racquets even though I prefered playing with racquets like the PS85 and K90, because I found the flex of the MGPP didn't leave my elbow/wrist hurting after consecutive days of playing.

My problem is that after my strings broke, I decided to play with an Aeropro Drive that I picked up in trade while I got my main sticks strung. The APD is strung with a poly, and after playing a couple sets with my hitting partners, I find the stiffness of the ADP and ploy strings really suit my game much more. I have noticed a greater level of accuracy that really gives me confidence to go after my shots.

My dilema is that I feel the onset of tennis eblow when playing with the new set up. Not yet to the point where I couldn't play on consecutive days, but it's there and I know if I pushed it that I would eventually develop a worsening condition.

As a recreationally competitive player (late 30s, that plays in a league once a week), that only hits about twice a week, can I live with the slight discomfort? It usually goes a way in a day or so, just in time for my next hit. Should I give into the temptaion of playing better or am I risking anything that could worsen over time by sticking with the APD Poly set up?

Thanks for your thoughts...

No TE is very painful it lasts along time. I went to a poly I have not played in a month now. I rather play bad then not play at all. Stick with the racket that causes no pain or you will be sorry I am

chess9
08-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Poly, with a stiff racquet, with advancing age, and with some twinges of TE? Hmm....this is a trick question, right? ;)

You might compromise and put some gut strung mid-level in the Babolat.

-Robert

larry10s
08-14-2008, 10:06 AM
in my humble opinion and to give you my best advice you are CRAZY to use a racquet that gives you problems. having had to stop playing for 1 year due to severe TE why put yourself in jeapardy. your body is telling yoy something .LISTEN. at your age your recovery time is quicker than as you get older but you keep asking for trouble. if you severely sprained your ankle but in two days could get thru a 3-5 mile run then it would be sore but 2-5 days later you could run again and it got sore do you think your ankle will ever completely heal? i woul go back to the prestige with gut. one month after you have no problems MAYBE try a hybrid with gut and a soft poly .preferably i would advice you to learn how to play with the prestige. a better idea i had was after 1 month of no problems string the prestige with gut at 2 lbs higher tension to get a "stiffer" feel

larry10s
08-14-2008, 10:11 AM
your post mentioned the greater accuracy you felt you got with the babolat. higher string tension gives you more control. i like the idea of increased tension on the gut with the prestige rather than going with hybrid

Spatula
08-14-2008, 10:25 AM
Interesting dilema. I was a long time Wilson 6.1 user. From Classic's, to KFactor KSix One 95. I too switched to the Head Microgel Prestige Pro. I LOVE THE new sticks.

My tennis elbow has gone away completley. I can play as many days in a row as I want.

Really before you ditch those sticks, try a few diffeerent setups. Why would you dump the sticks without at least trying different string setups?

Try a hybrid with a poly/syngut, try a full poly, try different tensions. If after all that you still want to go the APDC then go for it. Kind of pointless to ditch a racquet after one string setup.

If yuo do get rid of them, and they are 3/8th's....shoot me a line...I'll tkae them off your hands!

bruinduke
08-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks all for the great advice. I wonder if I would have posted in the racquet section if I would have gotten such "health" conscious advice? I was hoping that someone might say that twitches in the elbow were just normal soreness akin to soreness after a good workout. I guess I was being overly optimistic that the since soreness subsided after a day or so that I could go long term with a stiffer frame and full poly set.

I have some blue gear that I am going to hybrid with some gut on my MGPP. Hopefully I'll have some positive notes to report back.

burosky
08-14-2008, 12:35 PM
It isn't surprising that most, if not all the advise you got was pertaining to health. That was the way you framed your post.

You certainly should experiment. There are poly strings now that are not as harsh on the elbow as the ones earlier made. One string I can recommend is Unique Big Hitter. This is the only poly I can use that doesn't give me elbow problems.

bee
08-16-2008, 08:53 AM
I have similar issues. I played well with an APDC strung 60# Lux16 power rough but I began having wrist pains. Went back to my PT280 with Klip Legend natural gut at 55#, and the wrist pain went away. Just recently I had one of my PT280's strung with the Lux Power Rough at 55# in the mains and VS natural gut 17 at 55# in the crosses. First time I played with it I didn't like it, but after letting it sit for 3-4 weeks I tried it again and it played very well. You might try that in your Prestige.

You should not play with a setup that hurts you when you have a reasonable alternative.

ollinger
08-16-2008, 01:54 PM
I usually feel I can live with the soreness but I can't live with the thought of what may be going on chronically and how it will affect me down the road.

Uncle Emmitt
08-19-2008, 04:32 PM
I have had tennis elbow issues over the years. Cortizone shots , a year off , the works. Now I'm a 50 year old pro who just won a 5.0 tourney with PDR huricane tour on the mains @ 63 / xcel on the crosses @ 65. A lot of it has to do with doing strengthening exercises for your forearm that gets them strong! I mean strong ! dumbells mainly. You could try the APD and use gut or xcel and just string it tighter to get some similar spin and feel. You know your body though I agree with these guys if it's gonna hurt you and give you a chronic problem then stick to a little softer set up. If your not doing these simple dumbell strengthening exercises for your forearms you should start. Simple forearm curls. I'm a personal trainer too. If your elbow ios starting to hurt it all definitely wear an tennis elbow brace. They help tremendously.

dunlo
12-14-2008, 08:04 AM
I had similar problem when i switches to Extreme Pro with poly.
Mine is inner elbow-golfers-and funny that my left elbow hurts too due to 2hbh..

tennisdad65
12-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Your game will get a lot worse with tennis elbow. No improvements to your game due to your Poly setup will compensate for this.

You could stick with your original natural gut setup and string it tighter for control.