PDA

View Full Version : Phelps Wins By .01 Second........(un-freaking-believable)

kimbahpnam
08-16-2008, 01:02 AM
Watch it while you can. Though it might be deleted by the time you click it.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=SxybMfhXjHg
4:26-4:35 is facking unreal. You can even hear it in the Japanese commentator's voices. lol

As if Phelps' gold medal chase doesn't have enough drama already....he wins by the smallest margin.....unfathomable.

7 for 7....now tied with Spitz. Talk about clutch.

Believe it or not Crocker lost out of the bronze by the same margin......

lovecr717
08-16-2008, 01:25 AM
yea the vid is removed

kimbahpnam
08-16-2008, 01:33 AM
awww....blasted Olympic committee...

Guamanian G
08-16-2008, 02:52 PM
that was very intense!
i watched it live and I was amazed O.o

35ft6
08-16-2008, 04:35 PM
We thought the other guy got robbed until they showed the overhead replay. Looks like the guy made a mistake thinking he could just drift towards the win.

chess9
08-16-2008, 05:09 PM
We thought the other guy got robbed until they showed the overhead replay. Looks like the guy made a mistake thinking he could just drift towards the win.

A flyer's velocity is a sort of sine wave. Once the flyer gets inside the flags, the idea is to hit the pad as close to Vmax as possible. In this case, the wall was slightly too far away from the Serb after his last stroke, so he had to glide in. He had no room for another stroke! Phelps, on the other hand, had to take an abbreviated last stroke to avoid an extended glide and ultimately finishing second or worse.

You might reasonably ask why swimmers who are the fastest in the world can't time the finishes better. The reason is because they are going LIGHTS OUT. They are almost unconscious with pain and adrenaline. Thinking is out of the question, and if you ARE thinking, you are in last place, probably. :)

So, a mistake? Yes, but such a small one with such large consequences. It's as though the FATES had decreed PHELPS SHALL WIN!

-Robert

lovecr717
08-16-2008, 09:26 PM
^ yeah my mom said that when i told her about this. Its fated to be.

quest01
08-16-2008, 09:30 PM
I think Phelps won because of the 12,000 calorie intake that he consumes everyday. Where do you think all that travels through... My theory is that he passed gas right before he hit the hall and it gave him a sort of boost which propelled him to #1.