PDA

View Full Version : That much spin only possible with AeroPro Drive?

PackardDell
08-16-2008, 09:49 AM
I played a lot of matches this season and of course I meet opponents with the Babolat AeroPro Drive. Im always surpised by the incredibly huge amount of topspin they can generate against me. As said before, I play a lot but it are always the Aero users who hit the most topspin.

I know it is a proprty of that stick but is it possible to hit that much topspin with other sticks too?

PackardDell
08-16-2008, 09:56 AM
wrong forum: move to racquets please

tennisfever8181
08-16-2008, 10:03 AM
Yes they generate a lot of spin, but you have to remember thats its the player, not the racquet. I'm sure it can be done with other racquets.

federer envies me
08-16-2008, 10:10 AM
yeah. I know alot of people that use the stick and hit really flat.

Serpententacle
08-16-2008, 11:07 AM
I use that stick and hit flat. Yet, I'm soon to get a racquet with a denser string pattern.

Tombhoneb
08-16-2008, 11:24 AM
I think its more to do with technique than the racket, sure if u have an open string pattern like babolat's do then it will generate more spin but i do not think its the major factor.

jazar
08-16-2008, 11:28 AM
its mostly about technique. the string pattern and the string itself can affect spin, but not as much as the player. i, for example, generate loads of topspin and i play with an 18 main prestige

tbini87
08-16-2008, 10:25 PM
i have one buddy who uses this stick. he uses a full western forehand and hits with TONS of spin! he has one of the best inside out forehands i know... and runs around EVERYTHING!

FreshStew
08-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Is racquet speed the cause of topspin or dropping the racquet head???

tenniskillz
08-16-2008, 11:11 PM
IMHO, I think that after Nadal, Andreev has the most topspin on his forehand than any other player, making him an intense contender especially on clay, and he uses the Pure Drive. I think it is possible to hit that amazing topspin with an AeroPro Drive, but at the pro level, several rackets are capable of hitting the massive topspin that is required to play at that level.

kcmiser
08-17-2008, 06:29 AM
I play with the AeroPro. While it is quite spin-friendly, it does not by itself generate significantly more spin than most other racquets. However, the wide throat does really give a nice, stable feeling on a heavy topspin stroke.

So, in my opinion, the original poster has it backwards. The AeroPro does not cause heavy topspin strokes, but rather heavy topspin strokes cause the AeroPro. That is, a player who already hits this way will tend to like this particular model racquet, and you will see guys hitting with lots of spin using AeroPro's, but I do not think the AeroPro "causes" the heavy spin.

By the way, I go back and forth between the Aeropro and an old Prince Triple Threat Graphite midplus. The TT has a much more open string pattern, and hits with significantly more spin than the Aeropro, given a similar stroke.

Anthonycole
08-17-2008, 07:34 AM
I think that the majority of people buying the racket, like Nadal's game. So in buying the racket they might change their game and incorporate more spin to emulate Nadal.

I think its lightness helps with hitting alot of topspin but only if your game uses spin.

Aeropro master
08-17-2008, 07:35 AM
I use the APD and i hit pretty flat and think i could use some more topsin... it just depends on the player because i know a lot of kinds who are like me.

Matty G
08-17-2008, 07:45 AM
The aero pro does not get more spin than some other raquets but the aero pro with a western grip and poly strings gets more spin.

racquetfreak
08-17-2008, 09:53 AM
strings and tension, in asddition to player are also key in spinworthiness

SirBlend12
08-17-2008, 10:01 AM
To add to the above, that also means that Babolat is NOT the end-all-be-all of tennis. I get just as much spin out of a Microgel Extreme Pro as anyone I've seen with an APD.

Il Mostro
08-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Interesting observation on racquets and spin last week... My wife who hits deep with lots of topspin decided to try my APDC rather than her K-Zen Team. She still had lots of spin, but the ball lacked her usual kick and penetration. With the APDC the ball just sort of hung up there after the bounce. Again, lots of spin, but a completely different (and less effective) result. I suspect her swing, strength and racquet speed were not a match for the APDC's potential. There's a lot more to it than just the racquet ;-)

inwoodnyc
08-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Interesting observation on racquets and spin last week... My wife who hits deep with lots of topspin decided to try my APDC rather than her K-Zen Team. She still had lots of spin, but the ball lacked her usual kick and penetration. With the APDC the ball just sort of hung up there after the bounce. Again, lots of spin, but a completely different (and less effective) result. I suspect her swing, strength and racquet speed were not a match for the APDC's potential. There's a lot more to it than just the racquet ;-)

Your observation is right on point. One needs to generate tremendous racquet head speed with APD in order to hit a "heavy" ball. Sure, you'll hit with plenty topspin, but average rec players will not be able to hit a heavy ball consistently using APDs.