PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watch Olympic badminton?

bluetrain4
08-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Really fun to watch. Great athletes, fast paced.

I know it's huge in Asia. Where do everyday people play?

Yonex must have a huge badminton business.

tennisfreak15347
08-16-2008, 03:34 PM
yes, Yonex controls a large majority of badminton, if not all. through the 3 Olympic matches I've watched, they've all carried yonex signatured cloths and racquets. Also, does anyone know how they can break strings? If i'm not mistaken, I saw a chinese player break a string on their racquet during a match. How can you break strings on a badminton racquet? isnt the ball extremely light weight?

mozzer
08-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Badminton is great to watch. Real fast paced, especially one of the chinese guys!

Fedace
08-16-2008, 03:50 PM
What would happen if you get hit in the eye with that flying contreption ??

tennisrocks5
08-16-2008, 03:56 PM
I watched the Chinese play each other for gold today. I think it was like Xie versus Zhang or something like that.

tennisrocks5
08-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Chinese women*

sorry, can't edit posts

SempreSami
08-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Was sad to see Robertson and Emms lose in Emms' last Olympics : (

fluffy Beaver
08-16-2008, 04:55 PM
What would happen if you get hit in the eye with that flying contreption ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfwqSBWDW_A

Imagine this but in the eye.

dave333
08-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Yeah, it is really sick. In the US, badminton is a really nerdy sport but the athleticism needed for professional level badminton is amazing. Especially the jumping smash shots. Those are so sick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ2k-tsX5KE

AznRamenDude
08-16-2008, 06:23 PM
yes, Yonex controls a large majority of badminton, if not all. through the 3 Olympic matches I've watched, they've all carried yonex signatured cloths and racquets. Also, does anyone know how they can break strings? If i'm not mistaken, I saw a chinese player break a string on their racquet during a match. How can you break strings on a badminton racquet? isnt the ball extremely light weight?

Play a high level of badminton, and trust me, your strings wont last. Also, they dont play with those rubber shuttlecocks. I'm lucky I dont break strings in tennis like i do in badminton, or i would be broke.

The shuttlecock may be light, but it is damn hard. Badminton strings are also really thin.

goober
08-16-2008, 06:31 PM
I watched the Mens doubles final.

It was very interesting. If anybody actually played out here I would probably try out.

TonyB
08-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Badminton is awesome. It's just too bad it's not more popular in the US.

bluetrain4
08-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Yeah, it is really sick. In the US, badminton is a really nerdy sport but the athleticism needed for professional level badminton is amazing. Especially the jumping smash shots. Those are so sick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ2k-tsX5KE

It's barely a sport in the US. It's thought of as a backyard cookout diversion.

But, I know some states saction badminton for high school. In Illinois, they have girls badminton, but not boys.

ttbrowne
08-16-2008, 08:44 PM
Very interesting. I noticed all the Yonex stuff too.

The serve was what caught my eye. I guess you have to get it over quickly and below net level so they can't smash it back in your face.

Phil
08-16-2008, 08:57 PM

Yonex must have a huge badminton business.
To me, badminton is incredibly boring. It's on almost every week in Japan. During the Olympics it's been on EVERY DAY (along with ping pong, a ridiculous amount of judo and a bit of swimming).

It seems that Yonex sponsors practically every badminton player and team, regardless of country. Not many other badminton manufacturers out there...I don't know of any.

ramesh
08-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Badminton is very exciting and fast paced, its great exercise. Love watching the smashes and fast rallies, ... no baselines bashing as in tennis !

And yes, as someone noted, I break strings in less than an hour when 'baseline rallying'.

CHOcobo
08-16-2008, 09:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfwqSBWDW_A

Imagine this but in the eye.

LOL. this is fake. a bird isn't that heavy to penetrate bone. no matter how fast. trust me i play a lot of badminton and never seen anyone getting hit in the eye. however possible though. good players don't aim for the eye, more towards the feet.

i hope Lin Dan wins gold.

tkauffm
08-17-2008, 12:46 AM
I think it's been really fun to watch as well. It's never on here in the states. They were saying that a chinese guy hit the birdie around 200 mph on one of those overheads!

I think it's a really fun sport to play too. In my high school advanced PE class we played it for about 2 weeks and then had a doubles tourney. Once we got towards the end it was so much fun because half of the guys were on the tennis team, so we had some epic matches. Plus my partner and I won. :)

J-man
08-17-2008, 06:14 AM

Yonex must have a huge badminton business.Yonex has monopoly over the badminton business. Interesting to watch tho. Lots of lunging.

SempreSami
08-17-2008, 06:54 AM
Really? My badminton playing friend uses mainly Carlton.

lovecr717
08-17-2008, 07:10 AM
Really? My badminton playing friend uses mainly Carlton.

Asian?
Yonex owns the market in Asia here.

And I'm so friggin glad that LinDan won the gold, he played incredibly.
Too sad to tell his opponent LeeChungWei is my compatriot in fact, but I'm rooting LinDan all the way , I knew Lee wouldnt have any chance .