PDA

View Full Version : Michael Phelps and Dealing with the Pressure

ollie6286
08-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Phelps's mental toughness was incredible in these Olympic games. 8 gold medals, something that has never been done before. Do you guys this his mental toughness is among the best in sports in general? How would you guys compare it to Tiger Woods and Roger Federer/Rafa Nadal?

ACE of Hearts
08-16-2008, 07:32 PM
This guy's record will last a long time and people will remember this.I dont see it being broken for awhile.

ElSuegro
08-16-2008, 07:47 PM
I see it more as a triumph of his physical strength. Most of his matches he won going away, because of his physical abilities. Of the two that were very close, one was Jason Lezak's performance that won, and the 100m fly was a mistake by Cavic, though Phelps did the right thing with that last little stroke. I guess my point is that when you're that much better than everyone to start with, your mental toughness isn't tested as much. However, I think it did take an amazing amount of mental strength to stay with his training regimen all these years - five hours of swimming per day, 12,000 calories per day, etc.

Kobble
08-16-2008, 08:14 PM
I 'll say Nadal is mentally tougher than all of them.

baek57
08-16-2008, 08:52 PM
you dont really have opponents in swimming other than the clock. post your best time then thats it. same thing with golf, just play the course. sports where you are pushed by opponents require more mental toughness imo. so to answer your question, no, i dont think he has the best mental toughness in all of sports.

LuckyR
08-17-2008, 11:51 AM
This guy's record will last a long time and people will remember this.I dont see it being broken for awhile.

Comparing swimming times at different venues is like comparing golf scores at different courses. The Chinese pool is recognzed as being a "fast" pool, so naturally World and Olympic records fell. This doesn't change who wins but you have to put comparisons to times elsewhere into context. If someone comes up with a faster pool, the World Record times will fall in short order.

Dan007
08-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Man I might see him during the parade after he comes back to Towson like he did after 2004 olympics