PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Training

Kenny022593
08-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Would 50 squats with 15 lbs free weight 50-100 pushups and 50-100 sit ups be a good stable muscle training for tennis? (1nce every day) i really do not no anything about muscle building or muscle endurance so i need help =D

cncretecwbo
08-16-2008, 10:03 PM
buy the book starting strength by mark rippetoe. you wont need to learn much more for a LONG time

Kenny022593
08-17-2008, 07:21 AM
and how much does this book cost?

cncretecwbo
08-17-2008, 01:29 PM
look online should be under $30. you can also google the starting strength wiki, and read all the way through, but the book cant be beat

asafi2
08-18-2008, 10:53 AM
I would recommend Power Training by Robert Dos Remedios and doing a bunch of reps (i.e. 50 reps) will do nothing with that little weight.

Hypertrophy (which is building muscle) consists of about 8-10 reps and strength building consists of about 4-6 reps.

coachdavidh
08-21-2008, 08:56 AM
The other posters have made very good points in this thread. I would also recommend finding either a personal trainer certified with the NSCA who knows about training tennis players, or a strength and conditioning coach who would be willing to work with you personally. That is the best way to go. Check out the books suggested in this thread too. You could also check out our strength training website at XL Athlete.

XL Athlete (http://www.xlathlete.com)

mdrew9
08-21-2008, 09:06 AM
buy the book starting strength by mark rippetoe. you wont need to learn much more for a LONG time

This is the best book you could possibly buy starting out. Great suggestion.

chess9
08-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Would 50 squats with 15 lbs free weight 50-100 pushups and 50-100 sit ups be a good stable muscle training for tennis? (1nce every day) i really do not no anything about muscle building or muscle endurance so i need help =D

The answers above are very good. There are also many very good resources on the internet. Read and learn.

But, the short answer to your question is that regimen would help modestly, but isn't anything I'd recommend. Squats with 15 pounds is almost laughable though young man. What did you think that was going to do for you? :)
Squats with 150 lbs might make some sense, unless you are a tiny creature with a muscle wasting disease.

Anyway, read before you lift. Then plan, then lift.

-Robert

Kenny022593
08-22-2008, 06:28 PM
haha the only reason i said 15 lbs was because its simple im 15 no money and i only have free weight haha

nereis
08-22-2008, 09:51 PM
You could go join the YMCA. Thats a lot cheaper than the commercial chain gyms.

Kenny022593
08-23-2008, 04:54 PM
You could go join the YMCA. Thats a lot cheaper than the commercial chain gyms.

i do have a gym membership but no way of getting there. my mom says that i cant ride my bike because it is to dangerous and im 15 so i have no car lol

chess9
08-23-2008, 05:36 PM
i do have a gym membership but no way of getting there. my mom says that i cant ride my bike because it is to dangerous and im 15 so i have no car lol

How far is the YMCA from your house? I'm 65 and ride my bike almost exclusively, and I'd bet you are a lot faster and more coordinated than me. Why would you have a YMCA membership with no way to get there? Sort of defeats the purpose, no?

I'd get to the Y and ask one of their trainers for some help, lad.

Just an opinion from someone who could be your great-grandfather. Scary thought..... ;)

-Robert

JRstriker12
08-23-2008, 06:02 PM
This site could get you started: http://www.exrx.net/

If you want something tennis specific, try this book - you can buy it from TW OR you might find older versions of it at your local library: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageKINETIC-BCCDVD.html

superman1
08-24-2008, 03:45 AM
Try jump squats instead - just squat down and jump up as high as you can and keep doing it until you're dead. Push-ups are good, crunches are good. If you have a bar somewhere you can do pull-ups. This is all assuming you have no access to a gym. But I read that you DO have access but just have no transportation, which is ridiculous to me considering how high membership fees are. Find a way to get there. RUN. Or take a bus. Or get someone to drop you off. Or call a taxi if you have to.

Kenny022593
08-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Try jump squats instead - just squat down and jump up as high as you can and keep doing it until you're dead. Push-ups are good, crunches are good. If you have a bar somewhere you can do pull-ups. This is all assuming you have no access to a gym. But I read that you DO have access but just have no transportation, which is ridiculous to me considering how high membership fees are. Find a way to get there. RUN. Or take a bus. Or get someone to drop you off. Or call a taxi if you have to.

The problem with transportation around me is only my mom can take me to place. She doesnt let me ride my bike over to the gym like a previous poster suggested because she thinks its to dangerous because i would be riding on the parkway. Same with running over its on the parkway and its probably like 20 miles away id be dead before i even got there haha. But thank you for the suggestions.

GPB
08-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Offer to help her do something around the house if she'll bring you there.

If not, I like the jump-squats idea. I do these and jump-lunges and it BURNS!

JRstriker12
08-25-2008, 01:00 PM
The problem with transportation around me is only my mom can take me to place. She doesnt let me ride my bike over to the gym like a previous poster suggested because she thinks its to dangerous because i would be riding on the parkway. Same with running over its on the parkway and its probably like 20 miles away id be dead before i even got there haha. But thank you for the suggestions.

Tell her to save some money on gas/wasted gym fees by getting you a membership close to home ;)