PDA

View Full Version : Righties vs Lefties and the science behind it

bank5
08-16-2008, 07:59 PM
I tore my AC joint in my should two weeks ago and had to use my left hand for everything. At first most things (like shaving) took forever but after a couple of days my dexterity got surprising better. It got me thinking, I wonder how people become right/left handed. I wonder if I could ever get as good at tennis playing lefty as I can play righty.

I also wonder if they'll be more Rafa Nadal types (natural right hander but taught to play lefty) because being a lefty is advantageous in sports like tennis and especially baseball.

Anyone know the science behind it?

persondudething
08-16-2008, 08:30 PM
there isnt really any science. everything a lefty can do to a righty, a righty can do to a lefty. its just that lefties are used to playing righties and thats where they have the advantage. its familiarity more than anything else.

Rickson
08-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Lefties use the opposite side of the brain, but anything can be learned with enough time. I'm not actually ambidextrous, but I can do more things with my left hand than most righties can do. I can shoot with either hand when I play basketball, I can hit groundstrokes with either hand in tennis, and I can use a fork and knife with either combination of hands. Most of these things came more naturally to me right handed, but after doing them lefty for a while, it didn't feel so unnatural.