PDA

View Full Version : Pls recommend good Ice/Hot Packs?

rk_sports
08-16-2008, 08:38 PM
I bought 'em from Walmart ..

hot pack just blew within a month!
cold pack used to last much longer than like 5 minutes now (huh)

Please recommend good Ice and Hot packs

Il Mostro
08-17-2008, 10:10 AM
I saw some online that looked like arm, elbow, knee, ankle wraps/braces with openings to slip in cold/hot packs. I don't recall where but they looked well designed and of higher quality. Appeared to be professional PT equipment.

SystemicAnomaly
08-18-2008, 12:36 AM
I bought some McDavid reusable cold/hot packs from Sport Authority. It sounds like these have probably fared better than the Walmart products that you got. It appears that heat may shorten the life of the cold/hot packs more than freezing them.

Perhaps the packs will last longer if you use some of them only for cold and designate the others only for heat. The packs that I used for primarily for heat lasted for about 4 months even tho' I heated them improperly. They are meant to be immersed in hot water. However, I was heating them directly in the microwave (w/o using water). Even tho' it may be a bit of a hassle, they will undoubtedly last much longer if heated properly.

baseline08thrasher
08-18-2008, 05:04 PM
icey hot??? :D

rk_sports
08-18-2008, 08:11 PM
I bought some McDavid reusable cold/hot packs from Sport Authority. It sounds like these have probably fared better than the Walmart products that you got. It appears that heat may shorten the life of the cold/hot packs more than freezing them.

Perhaps the packs will last longer if you use some of them only for cold and designate the others only for heat. The packs that I used for primarily for heat lasted for about 4 months even tho' I heated them improperly. They are meant to be immersed in hot water. However, I was heating them directly in the microwave (w/o using water). Even tho' it may be a bit of a hassle, they will undoubtedly last much longer if heated properly.

lol.. I always heated the hot ones in microwave and that probably why they lasted as long as they did!

volusiano
08-19-2008, 01:13 AM
I bought 'em from Walmart ..

hot pack just blew within a month!
cold pack used to last much longer than like 5 minutes now (huh)

Please recommend good Ice and Hot packs

What kind did you buy at Walmart? There's the gel kind, and there's the clay kind. The clay kind is supposed to be better and retain heat or coldness longer.

I have 2 cold packs so that I can leave 1 in the freezer ready for instant swapping.

fuzz nation
08-19-2008, 04:12 AM
Although it's not exactly what you're looking for, a bag of frozen corn or peas makes a great cold pack in a pinch. It shapes really well to whatever you need to ice down.

SystemicAnomaly
08-19-2008, 04:18 AM
The frozen peas works very well. However, I had a tendency to leave the bag of peas wrapped around my knee for too long -- I ended up smelling like pea soup at times.