PDA

View Full Version : Hercules in his prime vs Michael Phelps in his prime

Fee
08-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Who really is the greatest Olympian ever?

I say Phelps.

Phil
08-16-2008, 08:52 PM
I'd say either Carl Lewis or Jesse Owens.

Lewis because he competed and won in vastly different events and Owens for breaking down color barriers and demonstrating, in Hitler's face, that notions of white supremecy are complete b.s.

Phelps is right up there, but I don't think that quantity is automatically equal to "greatest".

Mansewerz
08-16-2008, 08:54 PM
I second what Fee said

Fee
08-16-2008, 09:02 PM

Lewis because he competed and won in vastly different events and Owens for breaking down color barriers and demonstrating, in Hitler's face, that notions of white supremecy are complete b.s.

Phelps is right up there, but I don't think that quantity is automatically equal to "greatest".

No thoughts on Hercules?

xtremerunnerars
08-16-2008, 09:07 PM
well...wasn't Hercules an olympian for about 10 minutes?

Phil
08-16-2008, 09:09 PM
No thoughts on Hercules?
What events did he sign-up for, and how many gold medals? Silvers?

Fee
08-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Well, upon further review, it turns out that Hercules was just there as a color commentator. Being from Mount Olympus is not the same as being 'an Olympian'. Go figure.

Phil
08-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Well, upon further review, it turns out that Hercules was just there as a color commentator. Being from Mount Olympus is not the same as being 'an Olympian'. Go figure.
Thanks for doing that research, Fee. If he HAD competed, this discussion wouldn't even be necessary-it would be no contest!

Fee
08-16-2008, 09:56 PM
I beg to differ, all Heracles (correct Greek spelling) did was hold up the sky for a while, and some 12 or so 'labors'. That's nothing compared to swimming really fast, and swimming really fast with some of your friends as a team. Clearly, Phelps is better.

Phil
08-16-2008, 10:02 PM
I beg to differ, all Heracles (correct Greek spelling) did was hold up the sky for a while, and some 12 or so 'labors'. That's nothing compared to swimming really fast, and swimming really fast with some of your friends as a team. Clearly, Phelps is better.
On this I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree. Hercules (the correct spelling from the old cartoon, "Hercules") was a versatile athlete...he could have won 75 or 80 golds in every individual sport in the Olympics, including ping pong.

xtremerunnerars
08-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Err..I thought Heracles was someone else? I know there was a Pericles (sp?) that was w/ the Argonauts but I thought for sure Heracles was someone else.

It's been a longggg time since 6th grade! Dominated the mythos back in the day though :-p

Ignorant Genius
08-16-2008, 10:14 PM

Lewis because he competed and won in vastly different events

How were the events Lewis competed in "vastly" different than the events Phelps competed in?

Would really love to see you explain this one.

Fee
08-16-2008, 10:17 PM
On this I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree. Hercules (the correct spelling from the old cartoon, "Hercules") was a versatile athlete...he could have won 75 or 80 golds in every individual sport in the Olympics, including ping pong.

That would have been awesome. He was apparently bi-sexual so it would have made him an icon for so many, and broken down a few other barriers too (Gods gone wild! on DVD, but only if you order now).

Leelord337
08-16-2008, 10:20 PM
phelps would be easy to make fun of on snl. just get some skinny crack head to be smiling with his mouth open all quirky w/some billy bob teeth...on and on

but gotta love him. he's simply amazing. btw, did anybody catch how the commentator on nbc completely badmouthed the italian swim team? they said in a nutshell they have no chance of medaling. i thought it was out of line..even though its true.

TonyB
08-17-2008, 05:00 AM
Jim Thorpe was the greatest Olympian ever.

Joeyg
08-17-2008, 05:41 AM
Sorry, Fee, but I have to vote for Tulare's Bob Mathias. Two time Olympic decathalon gold medalist. 1948 and 1952. 10 Events, twice!!

wyutani
08-17-2008, 05:47 AM
didnt hercules join the first ever olympic event in athens?

Andres
08-17-2008, 09:37 AM
didnt hercules join the first ever olympic event in athens?
Someone please slap this Yutani kid.

Fee
08-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Someone please slap this Yutani kid.

Slap him with a dictionary, with the page open to the word 'parody'?

(or lame attempt at parody).

random guy
08-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Err..I thought Heracles was someone else? I know there was a Pericles (sp?) that was w/ the Argonauts but I thought for sure Heracles was someone else.

It's been a longggg time since 6th grade! Dominated the mythos back in the day though :-p

Actually Jonas was with the Argonauts, Pericles was a real person.

dave333
08-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Nah, Heracles wouldn't get any golds because he'd kill someone or fail at something miserably before he'd get the gold.

Example:
Discus: Heracles throws it and kills someone in the stadium. Disqualified, charged with manslaughter, gets ****ed, kills wife+children, gets arrested for murder, capital punishment
Swimming: Moves the pool like he moved a river, no one can medal anymore.
Tennis: Goes unseeded into the first round and plays federer, gets served up bagels like a starving kenyan kid because he can't keep the ball in the earth.

I could go on, but it's clear in him prime, Heracles would suck.

Fee
08-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Too good.

Good thing he just stuck with color commentary (and boy did a majority of the Athenians believe they could do a much better job).