PDA

View Full Version : Trigger finger and having surgery to fix it...

firstblud
08-16-2008, 11:04 PM
i have trigger finger on my hitting ring finger and it's really annoying. i can see it getting worse and read that it won't go away unless you quit the activity causing it (tennis).

just wondering if anyone has opted for the surgical method to fix it and how was the experience? Has anyone ever had trigger finger on more than one finger?

BillH
08-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Have you tried presciption anti-inflamatory drugs and cortisone in combination? Trigger finger can be caused by swelling of the tendon within the tunnel creating the hangup and locking of the finger. My situation is much better after just a few days on the cortisone.

firstblud
08-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Have you tried presciption anti-inflamatory drugs and cortisone in combination? Trigger finger can be caused by swelling of the tendon within the tunnel creating the hangup and locking of the finger. My situation is much better after just a few days on the cortisone.

when did you have the injection? was the relief permanent? how long was the rehab? thanks.

BillH
08-18-2008, 09:39 AM
when did you have the injection? was the relief permanent? how long was the rehab? thanks.

Not an injection, a tablet form - its like a z-pack for cortisone. You take 6 pills the first day, then 5, etc. I felt some relief after 2 days.

firstblud
09-14-2008, 09:13 PM
i just wanted to follow up on this post for those who have had similar issues to mine...

i visited an orthopaedic surgeon and he did diagnose it as trigger finger. he gave me 2 cortisone shots to the area (it hurt quite a bit, but I had to man up and hold my true feelings in) and my hand was sore for the rest of the day.

initially for about the first 1.5 weeks i was doubtful that the shots cured my symptoms, but shortly after my hand feels fine (knocking on wood). he did mention this could only be temporary relief.

so all in all, it took about 2 weeks to relieve via cortisone.

firstblud
11-11-2008, 05:05 AM
another follow up... trigger finger symptoms just came back today... barely 2 months :-\

i'm going to ask the doctor for surgery