PDA

View Full Version : Sprained Finger? Recovery time?

Leelord337
08-16-2008, 11:17 PM
last night i had a few too many margaritas and somehow sprained my finger when i tripped over something.its my right index finger and its pretty swollen but i can still move it so its not broken. i can't do anything, can't hand write, no weight lifting, and most of all no tennis. :(. *edit, it also hurts to type

i've had a sprained ankle before from falling wrong doing a 360 off my stairs on my rollerblades in high school but never a sprained index finger. the ankle took about a month to completely heal. does anybody know how long this will take to heal? thanks in advance for the advice.

Leelord337
08-17-2008, 07:38 AM
update i found this article and i'm going to get a checkup at the Dr. and hopefully get an x ray tomorrow. but they say most sprains are better in a week so back to tennis soon i hope.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/generalinfo3/a/fingerinjury_2.htm

Cloudy
08-17-2008, 07:45 AM
Even if you can move it, it could still be broken. When I broke my wrist I could still move it.

Loco4Tennis
08-17-2008, 08:07 AM
just take some time off
keep some ice on it to bring the sweeling down, or you could try some icehot cream and advil for the pain to allow for some mobility, but i wouldnt force it too much
time off is best
as for tennis, do what nadal does,,, play with your left :-), i know its gonna suck, but its only for a week and it will get you out there, all gimpyy-like,,, but, what can you do!! :-)

Leelord337
08-19-2008, 10:03 PM
it actually still hurts, but i don't think its bad enough for a doctor's visit. if it isn't better in a few more days i'm going to get an x ray. i still can't play tennis. :(

Leelord337
08-21-2008, 03:01 PM
anybody ever have a finger sprain?

does it usually feel better within a week or does it take longer?

lawlitssoo1n
08-22-2008, 12:00 AM
try going to acupunture, with the needles. i heals it in like 2-3 days

wyutani
08-22-2008, 12:01 AM
took me 5 weeks...but my finger nail came off too, hence the late recovery...

ogruskie
08-22-2008, 12:43 AM
I frequently get sprained fingers from basketball (reaching up for ball, blindly). The heavy sphere lands on the tip of my finger and then things start to suck.

It takes me about a week to fully recover, although I force myself through the pain and continue to play tennis. I don't have a stable forehand or backhand, but I still play. :twisted:

pabletion
08-22-2008, 02:01 AM
anybody ever have a finger sprain?

does it usually feel better within a week or does it take longer?

Same friggin problem here!!! sprained my hittin arm ring finger, didnt brake it... never though how involved it was in tennis. I could hit alrite, but jammed it a bit in a mishit, and then just couldnt hold the racquet firmly.... it sucks... that was monday, its thursday now and its way better, after two days off, but still cant really grip firmly, we'll see tomorrow, I have a tournament on saturday, hopefully its way better by then... by the way, you drunk ******* hahaha, I sprained my finger under similar circumstances over a long weekend trip with the buds ;)

Loco4Tennis
08-22-2008, 07:44 AM
^ padletion
i think what you are seeing is all the vibrations that the racquets send to the hand, and since your finger right now is sore, all that vibration is intensifying the pain in that area
sort off when you hurt anything in your body and for the next few days while it heals, everything seems to come in contact with it, it does not matter where it is

tbini87
08-22-2008, 08:11 AM
i have had plenty of finger sprains, breaks, dislocations (compound!), etc. sprains can obvisouly vary in degree and it sounds like yours is a pretty good one. i would try to rest it (tape it to your middle finger if need be to help it out). ice it if it is still really swollen and sore. it will prob be sore for a while, but you should be able to start using it in a week or two. don't rush it.

on a side note, i usually taped my hurt finger to another one if i was playing football or basketball (the two sports that destroyed my hands!). i wonder if you could also tape your finger up for tennis. it would probably make your grip on the handle feel really funny, but i don't see why you couldn't. however, it would probably be better to rest until it is completely healed anyways (i was always too stubborn to follow anyones advice...). good luck and hope it heals soon.

Tallahassee_Technifibre
08-22-2008, 04:39 PM
You should send me your 325 since i cant get anymore.

but anyway the sprained finger problem is also something i had on my left wrist(along with a sprained wrist at the time) but i just used a one handed backhand and i did everything thing with right hand for 2 weeks and it was healed. I don't suggest playing with a sprained finger but it would stop it from getting better either.