PDA

View Full Version : So how does getting on the tennis team work in college?

RCizzle65
08-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Do you have to get recruited or something to get on the team?

Swissv2
08-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Yes, you can get recruited. You can also try out for the team.

Moz
08-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Yes, you can get recruited. You can also try out for the team.

Do most teams stage official try outs? What is the format typically (play exiting team members etc)?

Swissv2
08-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Tryout formats depends on the school. Our D1 team had 10 tryouts, only accepting 1 to the team. The 10 tryouts played each other, and I was responsible for reviewing their abilities and gave the coach my picks. In the end, the coach took his and my picks, and made a final decision.

autumn_leaf
08-17-2008, 07:11 PM
it depends on the school you go to. i go to a d3 school and it's pretty much a walk on team. you can usually call your coach on the schools website to find out the info.

jaggy
08-18-2008, 05:45 AM
Get in touch with the coach, in men's D1 there are always walk ons due to the scholly situation and some drop off the team as the season progresses.

RCizzle65
09-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Do most colleges have tennis teams? At least state colleges? I mean I'm really not that great, in fact I probably suck compared to a lot of people, but I don't flat out suck, I just really love playing tennis for fun but I've never gotten a private lesson or anything but I've always wanted to do one to get better, but it just never occurred...

rabidturtle
09-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Do most colleges have tennis teams? At least state colleges? I mean I'm really not that great, in fact I probably suck compared to a lot of people, but I don't flat out suck, I just really love playing tennis for fun but I've never gotten a private lesson or anything but I've always wanted to do one to get better, but it just never occurred...

I say go for it! You never know if you don't try and you only have four years/opportunities. The sooner you try out, the more experience you gain.

Gemini
09-18-2008, 05:46 AM
My alma mater has a walk-on tournament every fall. The winner earns a spot on the team. Other than that, most players on the D1 level are recruited.